anybody know anything about stators? 86 johnson 25hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thegr8cody said:
Yes all the wires looked fine. Decided to pop off my flywheel and check things out and luckily i did. The stator and.timerbase were covered in oil/grease. Apparently my.crankshaft seal decided to go out on me. Gave everything a wipedown amd all my wired looked good. Stator and timerbase looked good. Nothing that stood out but that was my first time seeing them so that doesnt really say too much haha. Hopefully gonna order my parts tomorrow from boats.net as theyre the cheapest ive found and were recommended by a mechanic. Im not sure how it works exactly but do you think those parts being covered in grease were making it to where it didnt have a good connection to build up energy or whatever. I tried uploading a picture but its too wide[/quote

theres grease there from the factory, shouldnt hamper anything. make sure you got every little tiny bit of anything wiped off the top taper of ur crankshaft off before putting your flywheel back on. anything on there and your flywheel will not have the friction to hold it on. also very important that you use a torque wrench to tighten your flywheel nut down to 100-105lbs!!!!! any more or less torque and you will have big problems!!! dont tighten it downt to 100-105lbs in one turn, go to like 40 and let off then up to 80 and then to 100-105.
after you get it running as soon as you get back home take off the recoil starter and check the tourque one more time and make sure you still have the 100-105lbs before taking it out again...

Its the black thing in the bottom of you pic or do you want to know what it does?

Steve

thegr8cody said:
Can anybody tell me what a coil and lamination assembly is?
I'm guessing it's the charge coil with the laminations of metal that the coil wraps around. But that's more of a guess by the name than anything else. Here is a pic of what I'm talking about.
https://www.crowleymarine.com/parts/12803.cfm

I would like to know what it it does. Im assuming it charges the powerpack? I was looking at a diagram online and i have been under the impression that that piece was my "stator". But the diagram is telling me its a coil and lamination assembly. Just wanted to know before i replace it. That piece and the timerbase is all i had under my flywheel

Based on what I know about engines, I'd say it's the equivalent of a stator and it's function is to provide voltage to the coil which in turn creates the spark voltage.

If it was electric start. it would have a stator along with charging coil. Basically the charging coil powers the powerpack. and the timerbase is what tells the powerpack when to fire. The stator is for the charging the batteries. So thats it in a nutshell.

Steve

Mine is manual start. I thought the stator charged the powerpack, and the charging coil would charge the battery

Well im gonna go ahead and order a new lamination and coil because I ve already taken it off and pulled the pins out of the of the powerpack plug. Hooefully getting a new lamination coil and timerbase solves my problem

I gonna guess the timerbase is going bad. It also plays a factor in the the spark. I read on one of the online parts supplier they recommend replacing it when replacing the power pack. So take it for what its worth.

Steve

I planned on replacing the timerbase and the coil lamination assembly. I figured since the flywheel is already off i might as well do both of them, they're not that expensive anyways