Attaching Wood to Aluminum Hull to Mount Outriggers

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattNYtrout

Reaction score
I'm equipping my 14' Deep V with 2 pairs of outriggers. One pair will be mounted just before the side of the hull bends to form the bow and second set will be mounted just behind the rear bench. The front set will be set at a height that allows the outrigger to sit just above the water line, so if the boat tips too far, the foam 'digs in' to prevent capsizing. The set closest to the stern will be adjusted so that the outrigger sits in the water; this will with primary stability, but will also add floatation to the back of the boat.

I've attached the outrigger's mounting bracket to a 2x4, which is then clamped to the hull as s vertical element (see attached photo). The clamp holds really strong: I grab the wood piece and force it around...it doesn't budge. I think this will suffice for forward set of riggers as they're role is to deflect off the water. The rear set is going to bear a load as it's used for floatation, so I think I need to bolt it to the hull.

I'm petrified to put holes in the hull for fear of leaks and galvanic corrosion. I know people do it all the time though.
Here's my plan: I'm going to through bolt the board in 2 locations using hex head bolts and plastic washers. Moreover, I plan to coat the bolts to reduce metal-to-metal contact.

1. Do the plastic (nylon?) Washers go on both sides, or just the side with the nut?

2. What should I use to as a sealant? I hear about 3M 5200 v 4000; what about marine grade silicone? My goal is for the0 sealant to reduce corrosion and to prevent leaks.

3. Do I coat all the hardware in said sealant, or just the bolts?

I'll probably use clamps until I'm certain of the outrigger's position along the hull, but eventually for strength and convenience, I'd like to use bolts.

Attachments

• 20200910_172350.jpg
    20200910_172350.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 185
Tell us some more about the outrigger design & your boat. Will the outrigger be in place when you are moving? How fast will the boat go? If this is just a static thing, then the 2x4 clamps may be OK.

If the boat is moving, there are going to be forces that will want to rip the outrigger off. It could even dig into a wave & throw your handing into unsafe mode.

Sorry for being negative, but need more info on this.

CedarRiverScooter said:
Tell us some more about the outrigger design & your boat. Will the outrigger be in place when you are moving? How fast will the boat go? If this is just a static thing, then the 2x4 clamps may be OK.

If the boat is moving, there are going to be forces that will want to rip the outrigger off. It could even dig into a wave & throw your handing into unsafe mode.

Sorry for being negative, but need more info on this.

Great points re: static v..dynamic use of these outriggers. These outriggers are fully adjustable, so when Im driving I can lift them as far off the water as needed. When I'm launching, the outriggers point straight up just to give you an idea of their versatility. I'm primarily going to vertical jig for trout and salmon. When the boat is at t rest as I fish, I will deploy the outriggers by lowering them.

My end goal is to creat more stability when at rest, so If Iean too much or a wake hits me, the risk of capsize is lower. Within reason of course! I don't plan on standing and I'm treating the boat like a kayak as far as wind conditions, keeping my center of gravity low, counter balance etc. I'm ok with not having tons of primary stability (i.e if the boat feels tippy), but I want more secondary stability. As far as speed, I'm just looking for cruising speed/puttering along. I kayak fish, but wanted more range.

I don't perceive your comment as negative. No worries! The outrigger manufacturer was animate that the outriggers should not be deployed while in motion.