Baitcaster v. Spinning reels???????

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SMDave said:
but I have used 20lb. mono on a bass spinning rod before... Try casting an inline spinner on a baitcast, then on a spinning outift with lighter line (or even the same!). .
With the 20 lb line on a spinning reel, you really probably couldn't throw anything but big Zara Spooks. I use 20lb on my ocean rod and I am usually throwing bottom rigs with two or three ounces on the end. Also, if you invest in a quality baitcaster, you can throw a lot lighter weights than you think. I can throw a 1/8 ounce Mepps spinner for big bream and bass on my Shimano (Cardiff) with 10lb line. It may not go as far as it would on 4 or 6 pound mono on a spinning reel, but I can get a good amount of distance, and that baitcaster is far from the top of the line. I have never broken off on a baitcaster because of suddenly stopping my bait. Bad line? The only times I have gotten broken off involved bad line and drag that was way too tight. My bass spinning reel is used for dropshotting and awkward rigs like live bait (blah, blah, I'm going to hell for using live bait, I know :roll: ). Every other technique you mentioned, I can do on my baitcaster just as good and better than I can on a spinning reel. I fished all my life until 5th grade with spinning reels and then after I used a baitcaster, I never stopped.

FishinsMyLife317 said:
With the 20 lb line on a spinning reel, you really probably couldn't throw anything but big Zara Spooks. I use 20lb on my ocean rod and I am usually throwing bottom rigs with two or three ounces on the end.

You'd be surprised. Also, I'm sure you can cast a 1/8 oz. Mepp's with a baitcaster far, but trust me, using a spinning reel is a lot easier to manage lighter baits, and feel them (if that makes sense?). And breaking off at the knot isn't common, I have only done it a couple times, rocketing a 3/8oz. jig out and see it's going to a tree, then killing the cast all together. The braid burns my fingers, and next thing I know, the rod feels 3/8 oz. lighter. It's not bad line, fraying + physics = breakoff. And I don't doubt you can fish all the other rigs on a baitcaster, some rigs are just easier and more efficient to use on a spinning outfit. Also, fishing lures with spinning and baitcasters have a totally different feel. It's all personal preference, and how you like the feel of a lure. For instance, I wouldn't like to drift or liveline with a baitcaster. Some people would love to.

I use my spinning rod for all light worms and plastics. I like my baitcaster for my moving baits, buzzbaits, crankbaits, things of that nature. I just feel I have more control with my moving baits with a baitcaster.

I have had my baitcaster for about a year now and find it hard to fish slow anymore. I decaded almost all of my summer and fall to perfecting crankbaiting. Sometimes even knowing I would catch more fish using a worm and shaky head.

I guess I'm the only one that quickly stops baits with a spinning reel? Stick your finger or hand in the line when yout casting. I do this all the time, either when i mess up a cast and its going into somehting I don't want it to and also when im mid cast and I see a fish jump, I'll quick stop it and quickly reel it in. I am sure this is bad for the line, I only use braid, Im sure it would mess up mono fast. I also just fan the line with my finger when it is going off the spool just to control the cast better on the spinning setup.

jkbirocz, you're not the only one. I do it all the time. I also use my finger on the line to slow it down, depending on where I want my bait to land...its basically the same as thumbing a baitcaster. I use mono and haven't experienced too many problems caused by doing this.

I think it's funny when people use the terms light lines and 14lb test in the same sentence. I bought my first bait caster 4 or 5 years back and read that it's easier to pick out a backlash with heavier mono so I spooled it up with 10lb XT. They were right, it was easy for me and that line felt like cable to me after several years of fly fishing only.

AnAngler said:
jkbirocz said:
I guess I'm the only one that quickly stops baits with a spinning reel?

Nope I can.
I do too, with fluoro on my spinning reel. Not with the baitcaster with braid though. No stretch, and heavier lures makes 30lb. braid snap pretty easy if stopped suddenly a lot after fished in rocks.

I'm like Mr. nicdicarlo, I use 6lb. test on a spinning reel for my sliders and little worms, I use 8. lb test on a spinning reel for senkos(5"), super flukes and any 6" worms, any other lures or big plastics I use a bait caster and 12 lb test is the heaviest line I use and thats for jigs.

All my reels before this past year were spinning reels. Started salmon fishing Lake Michigan and all those are casting (conventional) style. Biggest thing is line capacity in a size that doesn't take 2 men and a boy to handle. When a big king starts running and peeling line, the level wind on the casting reels tracks where the line comes off the spool. Also when reeling and a fish is taking line spinning reels can twist the line more. My largest reel is a Penn 330GTi and smallest is an OLD Ambassadeur 5000, old as in like 40 years old. I can cast (somewhat) with the Ambassadeur but mostly just pay out line as I'm trolling anyhow.

I own 3 spinning reel rigs that I always use. Here's the breakdown with line used:

BPS Extreme XPS 7' MH, with a Quantum Pti40 Catalyst, 10# Yo-Zuri Hybrid line.

Abu Garcia Super7 MH 7', with a Quantum Pti40 Catalyst, 10# Yo-Zuri Hybrid.

BPS Qualifier Metal 6'6" MH with a Shimano Sahara, 8# Yo-Zuri Hybrid.

Can't seem to get the hang of using a baitcaster. :roll:

Wings, how do you like the yo-zuri line? I've heard both great and horrible reviews of it? Is it mono or flouro? To each his own.
I changed over to Suffix Seige mono this past season and was pretty happy with it.

Mr. nicdicarlo, this is scarey, thats all i use myself, changed over to suffix last year :shock:

shamoo said:
Mr. nicdicarlo, this is scarey, thats all i use myself, changed over to suffix last year :shock:

Hmmm, I notice that I never see you two in the same photo - perhaps you are the same person?

More likely evil twins separated at birth :wink:

Shamoo, that is strange. The Slider world is a small one. The Suffix Seige is good stuff, good all around line. I like the gray color too. I'm going to try their braid next year on a casting rig I think.

nicdicarlo said:
Shamoo, that is strange. The Slider world is a small one. The Suffix Seige is good stuff, good all around line. I like the gray color too. I'm going to try their braid next year on a casting rig I think.
I hear their braid performs better than power pro :shock: