Bare aluminum prep question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zip

Reaction score
Ive been researching like crazy... and probably driving myself crazy.

I plan to do a similar thing that sonny1 has done (seal seals with 650k, gluvit on rivets, same patch work), but have a few questions about aluminum prepping

I see a bunch of brands sell "aluminum etch prep" type material, namely total boat aluminum prep etch and wash. But I has also seen people use white vinegar, TPS, and some other reagents as well. Do these all do the same thing? Is Alumabrite also the same? My aluminum is pretty dirty, with bits of corrosion and some rust from other materials. I am powerwashing and most seems to be coming off, but for the parts that dont - I want to get some type of wash (instead of wirewheel unless absolutely necessary). Anyone have input? I know the proprietary brands will cost more, but if it is as simple as using white vinegar, Id prefer to save a few bucks.

Lastly, a question regarding the timing for this. I also keep reading that once it has been cleaned with some of these washes - you need to act immediately to get true contact with the aluminum and the epoxy sealant since aluminum will oxidize rapidly. Does this mean, once I have it at bare metal, use an acid wash - dry - coat? I see a lot of people wire wheel the boat, and leave it for a few days to get back to work on it later. That appears to be acceptable, but I am trying to wrap my head around all this lol

I wired wheeled the entire boat. For etching I used white vinegar. Did it twice. Made sure all vinegar was rinsed off. Did that about a month ago. Yes the boat has oxidized some but Prior to applying sealant or fairing compound I wire brushed with a 4 inch grinder that is equipped with a stainless brush. Followed with alcohol. After all the stuff I have used on the boat cures completely plan on a float test. Then I will follow with a white vinegar wash prior to priming. If you have pits and corrosion I highly recommend that you use a wire brush and remove all the white powder and black stuff. Get it to shine. Any corrosion left behind will continue to screw up the aluminum. Then etch it. Hope this helps.

Ya that’s was my plan as well. Just seeing all of these “aluminum etch” wash products got me confused lol. Did you dilute the vinegar?