Bass tastes Good - YUM!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasilvers

Reaction score
Let me preface this report by saying don't start the 'I only catch and release' stuff. I've been out 15-18 times this year and practiced plenty of catch and release.

I've been in the mood for a fish fry lately. Last few times out I hadn't caught much but planned today to be different. On the lake at 6am - planned to be off by 9. Figured about a pound of fish would make a decent fish fry with plenty for all who want it. Had a hard time catching fish but that seems to be the norm this year for most anglers I've met.

Started off by forgetting my sunglass and fishfinders (both of them). Weather was cloudy with a little wind.Early I caught one barely keeper bass(14 inches) in the biggest slop and shallow water you can imagine. Put him in the livewell and went off to get two more. Three hours later I was still chasing fish #2 for the livewell. Saw some bass working the topwater and had 2 takers but no hookups :( Caught a few small bass and small perch, but nothing worth keeping. There seemed to be no particular pattern till about 11 am. The wind really kicked up so I moved to my favorite bay where the wind could come all accross the lake and into the shore at the back of the bay. Caught 2 barely illegal bass (<14 inches) before I hooked up with bass #2 (15 inches). Since I had two bass I had to find another to make it worth keeping them all. That wind was pretty good, the trolling motor on 4 and boat was still moving backwards! Wind died down and so did the bite. About 12:30 I hooked a nice bluegill and tossed him into the livewell. So I had 3 fish, but wanted 3 bass. Fished hard till 2pm and called it a day. After cleaning the fish, the fillets totaled 1lb 1.2oz - just about where I wanted to be after all :)

Checked with another guy on the lake who was fishing harder than I was. He was tossing a green and orange worm and had caught 2 legal size bass, a nothern, and some 'snakey looking thing'.

Eight hours of fising is a lot of work just for fish fry. We fryed them in McCormik fish and chips batter tonight along with some onion rings and man were they tasty. My 4 year old REALLY likes fish. He made some comment even though the fish died, it was ok because he liked the fish meat. :)

Total fish for the day:
15 ish perch, biggest about 7 inches caught on yellow 2 inch crankbait, and pink mity mites
3 bluegill, biggest about 8.5 inches, caught on yellow 2 inch crankbait
10 bass, most caught on yellow 2 inch crankbait, and one on yellow and orange 3 inch shallow crankbait, and one on mity mites
1 18 inch nothern on yellow crank

Besides the baits above, I threw a green clear and blue stickbaits, various color cranks, silver/blue topwater popper, pink and yellow 1/32 mity mites along with anything else in the box that looked good. Did not throw a spinner bait though I think I should have tossed it in that wind, hindsight is 20/20.

Sounds like a good day,caught some fish.
Glad you caught enough for alittle feast.

Some keeper bass, some melted butter, some cajun seasoning and a red hot cast iron skillet... it doesn't get a whole lot better than that. :wink:

Latest posts