Battery question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelB

Reaction score
I just bought a 125 amp hour Everstart Maxx battery and plan on putting it in my 14/36 Triton Jon with a 2011 9.9 Mercury 4 stroke. The bow mount trolling motor is a 50 lb thrust. I like the idea of the 125 amp hr reserve, but dang, this joker is heavy. I see that BPS has a 90 amp hr battery on sale this wknd. Would yall recommend taking the 125 amp hr Everstart Maxx back and getting the 90 amp hr BPS battery to save on weight? I am all about getting the most speed out of the 9.9..but still want enough reserve for when I use the trolling motor

MichaelB said:
I just bought a 125 amp hour Everstart Maxx battery and plan on putting it in my 14/36 Triton Jon with a 2011 9.9 Mercury 4 stroke. The bow mount trolling motor is a 50 lb thrust. I like the idea of the 125 amp hr reserve, but dang, this joker is heavy. I see that BPS has a 90 amp hr battery on sale this wknd. Would yall recommend taking the 125 amp hr Everstart Maxx back and getting the 90 amp hr BPS battery to save on weight? I am all about getting the most speed out of the 9.9..but still want enough reserve for when I use the trolling motor
I'd keep the 125 Ah. If that is your only battery it would be better to have too much than not enough. I've used the same 125 Ah and had no problems with it using the trolling motor basically the whole day. Also, if you add any electronics later you'll probably be thinking about replacing the 90 Ah with something bigger.........I'd stay with the bigger battery.

If you can afford it, pick up the 90Ah as a second battery and keep it there as a backup. If you happen to be on an electric only lake and your main is dead, hook up (only) the trolling motor to the 90Ah and you have a safe way back to the ramp.

What is the weight difference? Will it be beneficial to you swap the weight for more speed or have more run time for less speed? If you run the 125Ah battery low while using it you may want to keep the current battery.

Yeah I think I am going to opt for the Mercury 15, instead of the 9.9. I like on-the-water speed. And keep the Maxx

125 ah would be a better choice if you're going to do a lot of trolling. The extra weight overall will not make that much difference in performance. If you're are still looking at outboards you might want to purchase one with a electric start and hook it and your trolling motor to the battery. With my Nissan 18hp and with all the running and trolling I do, it helps to keep the battery topped off. I only charge my battery every couple of months or just before a extended stay at the lake.

Latest posts