Best floor for tinnie

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinny Fleet

Reaction score
Friends:

I have an old StarCraft mariner, the plywood floor of which is getting punky.

Looking at new boats,, and the prices, I quickly go back to the idea of fixing this old friend back up.

Question: what is the latest greatest floor material I can use to replace the rotting plywood? Don't want to go with metal, or plywood again. Is there some composite plastic type material that is the cat's meow?

Thanks in advance

I have not worked with the composites but most are not as strong as plywood or alum. You will need more supports/ shorter spans.

Coosa comes in multiple thickness and types. They can recommend the product based on the spans you have. Then you can decide if the cost is prohibitive. It's certainly more expensive then plywood.

I bought Coosa to do the floor and transom in my '79 Starcraft Super Sport thinking I was getting an upgrade to plywood. I bought it from Boat Outfitters. I learned a few lessons that hopefully will help you:

1. The website says to use Coosa in the same thickness as the plywood you are replacing. Based on that recommendation I bought Coosa in the same thickness as the original plywood. I believe this was mistake #1, as the Coosa flexes significantly more than plywood. I don't think anyone is going to put a foot through the floor or anything like that, but it bothers me. This was especially disappointing when it came to the transom, as I expected the composite transom to end up stronger than what I'm replacing, but at 1.5" thick (3 pieces of 1/2" laminated together) it still has more flex than I expected.
2. It is not pleasant to work with. It cuts easy, and I was able to shape it with a router pretty easily, but it made a terrible mess. Even working outside I had to wear goggles and a respirator due to the dust. I'm sure someone here will say that I should have known that anyway, but it was just awful to work with as far as the dust goes.
3. It is crazy expensive, especially if you have to have it shipped. I had it delivered in 4x8 sheets, and I spent over $1800 total for 4 sheets.

I have not done the floor yet, but after getting the transom done I really wish I would have just spent the time to get plywood, and seal it with epoxy resin, over-drill and fill holes, etc. I think that will end up lasting realistically as long as my expensive composite floor/transom, would be a better direct replacement for the plywood that was there, and far less expensive. More time-consuming than just dropping in the Coosa, but I think I would have been happier with it. Bottom line, if you value your time above all else (and some weight savings), go with Coosa, but go thicker than the original plywood. If you want to save some $, just do plywood. Seal it with epoxy, take the time to over drill any pass-through holes and fill with epoxy then drill to the correct size.

I would go with aluminum myself, but if you want to look into composite flooring options, Check out DIY WATERWORLD on YouTube. The dude is very good with boat building & modifications to fiberglass & composites. View some of his videos and you will learn something…I guarantee! He will respond to a question in the comments too… he is a good guy

Plywood works well, and will last for a number of years if sealed and treated properly.

Coosa is premium stuff. Maybe if you are young and plan to keep the boat for many years...

Plywood works well, and will last for a number of years if sealed and treated properly.

Coosa is premium stuff. Maybe if you are young and plan to keep the boat for many years...
Good point. If this is a long-term boat, coosa may be an option. You could treat plywood with a penetrating epoxy and it will hold up for a long time.

If you go with coosa, I'd like to hear what your spans were and what thickness and weight you used.

Keep your boat out of the weather when not in use, if the plywood floor does get wet, put a fan on it while in storage to dry it as quickly as possible ! The avg boat owner does not keep a boat longer than 10 yrs if they are actively using it. Most long term boat owners beynd 10 years have their boat just sitting unused. My plywood floor is not sealed, covered in carpet, and is original since 1992...still solid as a rock ! Just think how much longer a sealed plywood floor would last if properly cared for ??

Keep your boat out of the weather when not in use, if the plywood floor does get wet, put a fan on it while in storage to dry it as quickly as possible ! The avg boat owner does not keep a boat longer than 10 yrs if they are actively using it. Most long term boat owners beynd 10 years have their boat just sitting unused. My plywood floor is not sealed, covered in carpet, and is original since 1992...still solid as a rock ! Just think how much longer a sealed plywood floor would last if properly cared for ??

Good points. Along with penetrating epoxy, if marine vinyl is used wrapped around the edges, the ply is well protected. I'm a big fan of marine vinyl flooring!

Good points. Along with penetrating epoxy, if marine vinyl is used wrapped around the edges, the ply is well protected. I'm a big fan of marine vinyl flooring!
When my carpet needs replaced, it will definitely not be replaced with more carpet !! Had one boat with marine vinyl and it was great !!

I have done a number of floors out of regular BC plywood. The trick I have used is to saturate the wood with Thompson's Wood Preserver before adding carpet, texture, paint or whatever. Saturate it to the point of refusal, and it will literally bead water like a car. The protection is not just surface, but penetrates. After it dries, glue, carpet adhesive and paint stick to it with no problem.

I kept my carpeted Princecraft outside. I tried to keep it covered, but not always. It is rock-solid after about a decade now, with no issues.

Resized_20220902_193152.jpeg

I recently sold that boat and have been questioning that decision ever since. But I have no doubts about the plywood treatment I use.