Best new 25 hp motor on market?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetinman

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been lurking for a while and wanted to get the forums input. I have just purchased a new War Eagle 548 21" transom and will be putting a long shaft 25hp tiller on the back. What is the best new motor on the market and your reason why?

Thanks,
Mark

The best motor to me is just as important as the dealer you buy it from. They are the most important decision in my book. Customer service when issues arise are what separate good motors from bad.

No one makes a crappy motor, there are good and horror stories from all manufacturers. Find a dealer close to you and do research.

Goos luck!

Jim

What Jim said...
Although I've heard good things about the new etecs in that hp range(25-30).

I also agree with Jim. Right now most you will not find a motor under about 140 pounds. I have heard good things about the 25 and 30 e tec. They have the shifter built into the tiller arm unlike the mercury. Also they are a two stroke, so it will give you some more power getting up on plane. Every company makes a good outboard, it just depends on your personal preference.

There are still some brand new 2009 25 Yamaha 2 strokes on the market here and there. They are awesome; run like 30 HP's, light at around 111 lbs, easy maintenance, wind up quickly, rev up to 6,000 rpm and will out run any 4 stoke of the same HP.

Used ones are out there as well.

The best motor imho is the one that gets you back to the hill! I've had a Merc, Honda, Tohatsu, and presently have a Nissan all four strokes and all were excellent motors. If I were buying a new 25 I would go with Tohatsu because they are avaliable with factory trim and tilt and they are cost friendly! I think Jim nailed it with " no crappy motors" Hope this helps and Good Luck!

bcbouy said:
my next motor will be a tohatsu. they make nissan,merc under 40 hp,but without the brand name,and alot cheaper.

Yep!

And they still make a 2 stroke 35hp jet(35hp at the pump) called the MD35Jet that is lighter than any other jet outboard out there! Including the Merc 40 4 stroke jet that only puts out 30 at the pump and weighs 30lbs more!

If your thinking about a Mercury 25hp you should definately look at the Tohatsu! Just as much bang for less money. Its the same motor!

Jim said:
The best motor to me is just as important as the dealer you buy it from. They are the most important decision in my book. Customer service when issues arise are what separate good motors from bad.

No one makes a crappy motor, there are good and horror stories from all manufacturers. Find a dealer close to you and do research.

I second what Jim said as well. The manufacturer isn't usually what would be my top concern. I would be a little more focused on serviceability and support like Jim mentioned. I think evinrude makes a great engine, mine is older but still running like a champ. What ever you get just make sure you get something you know can be worked on without having too much trouble or having to take it 100 miles to a mechanic.

Latest posts