Blink's 1973 AMF Crestliner 12' V-Hull (Update 05-05-12)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boat looks better on the trailer =D>

There's a fairly inexpensive DIY project for some guide poles made from ladder stablizers if you're considering adding some.

Several of the builds have carpet tutorials. Look here: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3156

I would simply go the last page of the build and see if it has carpet in it. If it does, there's a good chance there's been a discussion about it. Some of the things that seem to come up frequently is:

Don't get a carpet with loops. It will make getting hooks out a nightmare. Carpet with a rubber back will help the longevity of the wood decks below. Know that the carpet will have a grain direction and if you don't run it all the same way, it will appear as though you have 2 different colors. (this happens most when doing the hatches. Mark your pieces to avoid it. Some guys say the spray adhesive works good, others say not. I've yet to hear anyone complain using the notched trowel route. A rolling pin seems to make a good carpet flattener if you don't risk getting hit over the head with it by your girlfriend when she sees you using it. There is a specific cut that allows you to wrap the corners of your hatches cleanly and (professionally). If you want to see it and can't find it, let me know and I'll dig it up for you.

So I was looking at this outdoor carpet adhesive at Lowes yesterday, and it said not to use it on sealed wood and not to seal the wood.

What is the deal here? Do i still seal with 3 coats of spar urethane and then do the carpet???

I wouldn't seal the surface you are gluing to. Between the glue (if laid down correct) and the outdoor carpet with the rubber like backing it will seal the wood itself on that surface. You can seal the rest of the surfaces that will not be carpeted.

I did not seal any of the wood I put in my boat. By the time the wood rots out I will either be dead and gone or I will have a new idea and design for a floor plan. My boat does not sit out in the elements though, always garaged so I was not that concerned about it. But if you leave your boat outside or fish in the rain a lot I would seal all wood components.

Others may have different opinions but that is mine : )

Johny25 said:
I wouldn't seal the surface you are gluing to. Between the glue (if laid down correct) and the outdoor carpet with the rubber like backing it will seal the wood itself on that surface. You can seal the rest of the surfaces that will not be carpeted.

I did not seal any of the wood I put in my boat. By the time the wood rots out I will either be dead and gone or I will have a new idea and design for a floor plan. My boat does not sit out in the elements though, always garaged so I was not that concerned about it. But if you leave your boat outside or fish in the rain a lot I would seal all wood components.

Others may have different opinions but that is mine : )

and mine

Well,
I am going to be covering the boat, and i do not plan on fishing a lot in the rain, so i guess i am ready for carpet!

Loooks good. did you get the carpet done? im about to do mine and would like to see how yours turned out. i have similar shaped decks.

Aight yall, so i have changed my mind about carpet, and gotten a lot done.
She is fishable as of today, and i have only a few more things i want and/or need to do to her before i will be done.

1. Grind off the angles on the top lip.
2. Add pulls for the hatches. Still thinking the straps with loops will work.
3. Touch up the green paint on the outside.
4. I am not sure if i am going to do anything with the middle section. Its kinda gonna be a catch-all and get really dirty.

So i bought this Valspar product for the paint. Its super tough stuff, and like sandpaper to the touch when dry.
I am happy with how it turned out.

6999627170_b6e55be327_c.jpg

7145713859_740434b678_c.jpg

6999627156_c44cc66af6_c.jpg

6999627340_eef13d6846_c.jpg

6999627372_ab5a5d1c67_c.jpg

Looks really clean blink..... nice job if I say so myself =D> Just make that middle area into a giant live well :mrgreen: