Boat color

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylerprochaska

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 14' sea king v bottom, and Im looking at re-painting it. I am thinking about going with a mostly black hull with tan accents. I have read some posts online advising not to paint the hull of a boat black due to the heat, but was wondering if the heat would transfer into the interior of the boat while fishing? I eventually plan on spraying the inside of the boat with a light colored truck bed lining, but for now it is painted a light tan. Thanks in advance!

Painting a boat's hull black shouldn't affect the comfort or fishability too much. Aluminum is a great conductor of heat, so a jon boat pretty much acts as a giant heat sink. Couple that with the fact that you'll have the interior coated with a heat-reflecting light colored coating, and that the boat will spend much of it's life with the hull half submerged in water. These factors should effectively alleviate any extreme build up of heat. I think a black boat would look really sharp, so long as it's just the outside of the hull. I should warn you though.....Dark colors like black show every dent, warp and wrinkle in the aluminum. Glossy colors are especially bad about this. If you want a dark color, you may want to try something with a satin finish. If you don't mind a "wavy" looking finish, then spray away my friend.

Latest posts