Bufford's 12 foot modification

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great job. This is one of my favorite builds on here and you've documented it well. I'm planning on steel flexing the exterior of my boat and using the durabak on an aluminum casting deck. How have the steelflex and durabak held up over time? Have you had any issues with chipping, peeling, etc?

I am not sure what is next but I leaning towards a built in live well and looking now for a larger motor. Hope this helps someone else.

Bufford in Orlando

I'm not near your size! That little 9.8 Nissan would be perfect for me!

Hey Sgt. Yeah it pushes the boat pretty good, I am looking at having 2 pods fabricated for the back that will give some extra lift, when we go out its usually me, my cousin and his son (or my daughter), so some extra lift would be nice.

I would love to find a 15hp, been keeping my eyes open, but most people who have a 'decent' motor think they hold gold.

Bufford

You got that right,

but most people who have a 'decent' motor think they hold gold.

I would settle for a nice lightly used 9.8/9.9, 10 HP Johnson but even out here in the desert, they really think they have gold! Most of our lakes are rated at 10 and under.........

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/boa/2025721260.html

Found two in the Phoenix Craigs list but the Murcury seems a little to high for an 82. No pics or info on the 10 HP Johnson yet..........I have read the Merc have issues with pumps and electronics........

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/boa/2025625387.html

I need to see if my little six in underpowered since the upgrade.........
BeforeandAfter.jpg

Great lookin' rig you got there.

Mercury is not bad, like all of the different manufacturers they have had issues here and there. I have been learning a lot about them at school and they are pretty solid.

Well, keep your eyes open, you never know what you will suddenly find.

Wow, Bufford (and others who gave suggestions), you have given me some great ideas for my boat! That is one great job there! Me old haid is spinning! This site just has me thinking about my boat more than ever. I have never even considered some of the things until I saw what you have done. I just might be able to modify my front seat somewhat like you did. That cut-out idea was really good. How's the fishing been in central Florida? We used to live there, and love it. Even considering moving back for retirement... I used to catch some nice bass near Auburndale.

DuraCraft said:
Wow, Bufford (and others who gave suggestions), you have given me some great ideas for my boat! That is one great job there! Me old haid is spinning! This site just has me thinking about my boat more than ever. I have never even considered some of the things until I saw what you have done. I just might be able to modify my front seat somewhat like you did. That cut-out idea was really good. How's the fishing been in central Florida? We used to live there, and love it. Even considering moving back for retirement... I used to catch some nice bass near Auburndale.
Thanks for the kind words, and the fishin' has been good, just havn't been out as much as I wish lately due to work and school. Be careful spending too much time here, it makes working on the boat a very addicitive passtime LOL. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Bufford in Orlando

off duty said:
very nice job love the seat mod
Thanks man, I usually have at least one other with me to fish, usually one adult and one kid, so it really works out nice with the seat cut through.

Bufford

i gotta give it to you..clap clap. i like the stabilizer idea for the side guide post.

Attachments

• BOAT PAINTED ON TRAILER 1.jpg
    BOAT PAINTED ON TRAILER 1.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 2,861
Thanks man, not original, I stumbled up on it online, several guys here said they did the same thing, but it is a great, inexpensive way to make what you need.

And all good things must come to an end. I posted my Jon Boat for sale Sunday at 10:30pm and it sold Monday at 2:00pm. It was a good deal, but I got what I wanted for it. They say the happiest days in a boat owner's life is the day he buys a boat, and the day he sells it. "They" were wrong :( but for not it must be this way as I prepare to graduate and to relocate to the upstate SC area. I am letting go of things that can be so I have less to move.

The guy who bought it loves the boat and he even painted the upper portion red like I planned, then sent me a pic to show me the finished product...it looks Great! =D>

JonBoatLastPic.jpg

So for now I am boatless, but when I get where I'm going its time to pick up another tin flat bottom, probably a 14' to 16' and start all over again with more mods. If you are wondering, I am not leaving, just updating my mod thread. Mod finished. Later Taters!

good lookin rig. that helped seeing the steelflex go on, makes me feel a lil better about it. how did it do on the ribs? i have a lot of bumbers on my hull, and they are rivited on. i really hope these dont give me problems. u can kinda see them in my mod pics. im sure it will be just fine.

PitFishin' said:
good lookin rig. that helped seeing the steelflex go on, makes me feel a lil better about it. how did it do on the ribs? i have a lot of bumbers on my hull, and they are rivited on. i really hope these dont give me problems. u can kinda see them in my mod pics. im sure it will be just fine.

Mine is (was) a riveted hull and it was no problem at all, as a matter of fact it sealed up several that were leaking, between the steelflex and the Durabak inside it never leaked a drop again.

jasper60103 said:
Hey, Bufford.
This is one of my favorite mods.
I bet you miss this one.
Did you get moved and find a new boat yet?

jasper

Thanks Jasper, I appreciate the kind words. I do miss it a lot, and I plan to do another on a 14 or 16 foot boat soon, I am actively looking for a project boat to use.

I did get moved, I am living in upstate SC near Clemson University and work on Lake Keowee. I can not begin to explain how much I LOVE my job working on boats. I spend some days in the shop, some on the lake and some half and half. It is fun, we have good employees and the lake and mountains are so beautiful.

RBuffordTJ said:
jasper60103 said:
Hey, Bufford.
This is one of my favorite mods.
I bet you miss this one.
Did you get moved and find a new boat yet?

jasper

Thanks Jasper, I appreciate the kind words. I do miss it a lot, and I plan to do another on a 14 or 16 foot boat soon, I am actively looking for a project boat to use.

I did get moved, I am living in upstate SC near Clemson University and work on Lake Keowee. I can not begin to explain how much I LOVE my job working on boats. I spend some days in the shop, some on the lake and some half and half. It is fun, we have good employees and the lake and mountains are so beautiful.

Sounds like a great place to live. I've been to the Smokys with my family on vacation a few times, in Gatlinburg,TN. Beautiful country down there. I miss seeing (and the sound) of the mountain stream. Sounds like a great life, enjoy!

jasper

Sweet mod!

I have absolutely zero technical nor mechanical skills whatsoever and would LOVE to mod my 1236 sears gamefisher JUST like yours.

I read the whole thread, even reread your initial postings/pictures.

I'm afraid to do this. I want to... I really do. But I don't know how. As it stands now, my mothers husband and I are super uncomfortable in my boat. We sit on bench seats and we are cramped all the time. I'm 5'10 200 and he's 6'3 240. I know we can manage as plenty of people have quoted bigger bodies and gear, etc.

If you wouldn't mind putting together a list of how to's (extra super dummy proof). When you say, "cut out the bench on the red lines, etc" How? hacksaw? rotozip tool thing? These are serious questions, I really am just not adept at this.

I'd love to have this mod done in the next few weeks to prepare for central illinois prespawn bass season.

Thank you. Again, amazing mod. I wish mine can be even half as good as yours!

zeedogg said:
Sweet mod!

If you wouldn't mind putting together a list of how to's (extra super dummy proof). When you say, "cut out the bench on the red lines, etc" How? hacksaw? rotozip tool thing? These are serious questions, I really am just not adept at this.

Thank you. Again, amazing mod. I wish mine can be even half as good as yours!

I'm glad you liked it so much, I wish I knew where to start with 'dummy proff' because I'm no brain child I just started with an idea of what I wanted to see and worked my way slowly to it that day. The cutting and fitting was done in a day, its pretty simple and straight forward, the pictures should help a lot. To cut I used a jig saw with a metal cutting blade, its in one of the pics I think. Just measure 3 times before you make a cut, go slow, take your time and you will do fine with it.

Ask specific questions if you like and I'll try to help out some, be patient with me as I am working a good bit and have side jobs on boats in the evenings too.

Bufford