building a jon boat vs buying used bass boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmd13

Reaction score
so i keep going back an forth on this topic. On craigslist there are a TON of Bass boats for around 2500-3000 with fish finders and all kinds of stuff. is it really cheaper to to build a jon boat then to buy a used bass boat>? I Love the idea of building a it my self but my only prob is coast over production. If i can take a used bass boat re carpet, and tune the engine for 3000 is that cheaper then building a jon with trowling, fish finder, 9.9 engien, and live well? Oh and BTW this place really needs a serch button

Search button is on the top right of every page. :wink:

I take it the question is why build an aluminum boat vs. buy a glass boat?

To me an aluminum hull wins hands down. It's much easier to work on and modify along with weighing a lot less than a glass version. There is a lot more variety in aluminum hulls vs. glass hulls.

Really other than corrosion resistance if you are a salt water guy and maybe needing a 275hp motor to make up for your insecurities I can't think of a good reason to run a glass boat.

wow that is probly the larges serch i have vseen in a forum lmao! would not even think that was for the forum, thanks alot!

It all depends on what material you use and what you initially are working with. What is the cost difference between buying a complete bass boat vs a jon? Customizing a tinny doesnt have to cost you much, the biggest investment is time and making it to your exact wants/needs. I bought a basic tinny and invested tons of time and a fair amount of money into it, but in the end I am still under what it would have cost me to purchase a boat with similar specifications. And most of the money went into a TM and finder, which all came come off and onto the next boat if needed.

really its Personal choice, if you want to build one up to your specs and likes its one way to get exactly what you want what Im going through now. a glass bass boat would be nice but I dont like itching for a month AFTER Im done working on it. just do your thing and fit the choices to your preferance and style and doll out parts to fit your budget.

An old jon holds up better and is easier to repair than an old fiberglass. I'm in the process of selling my 35yr old fiberglass because the transom doesn't have much life left and the whole hull is generally sun-baked and brittle. Can you prevent that from happening by taking care of it, sure, but that's a whole nother level of expense and work for a boat. The less work you need to constantly put into your boat, the more time you can spend out on it.

The idea of customizing a jon to my liking rather than being stuck with the design layout of a fiberglass is also very appealing.

not too many 2500 dollar bassboats are ready to fish....if it is, an 80's 17 footer with a carbed 150 is a very thirsty rig....

i have an 88 18 foot hydra sports bassboat with a 150 mercury in the yard...its about half restored.... im building me a jonboat instead....i can customize it exactly the way i want, itll be more practical for my style of fishing in the swamps and marshes, and ill run 3 or 4 trips on 6 gallons of gas... and, pull it with a car...

I was under this same exact dilemma before I modified my jon boat in to the beast it is now.

I purchased my jon boat which came with a trolling motor as well as an 18hp Johnson for $600. Once I was done modifying the boat, I put in about $700-800 bucks. So what are we at, $1400. In my mind, it was cheaper than if I were to spend $2000+ on a boat, plus I designed it for what I wanted.

Here is a link to what I did to mine..........
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=31661

Well gentlemen you have got me sold lol. I would just go back and forth between the idea and now after thinking about the work of restoring the Bass boat and on top of original cost. The idea of metal vs glass. I will def find myself a nice 15ft. (the army will ship anything 15 and under so that’s the magic number) Now it will come down to Flat bottom Vs V hull I know I want something that is around 50 inch wide so now it’s just sit and wait till I get to NC and then start the hunt for the boat/plans/material I am aiming for the winter of 14 for the big build. Ill probly buy the boat next spring and thought

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=324917#p324917 said:
crankbait09 » 05 Aug 2013, 21:18[/url]"]I was under this same exact dilemma before I modified my jon boat in to the beast it is now.

I purchased my jon boat which came with a trolling motor as well as an 18hp Johnson for $600. Once I was done modifying the boat, I put in about $700-800 bucks. So what are we at, $1400. In my mind, it was cheaper than if I were to spend $2000+ on a boat, plus I designed it for what I wanted.

Here is a link to what I did to mine..........
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=31661

**** fine build i like the half high front platform alot!

thank you gmd. I havent had the chance to fish from it since it's been done. (about a week now). I will definitely be taking it out this weekend. Hopefully I can prove that a fish does care how good a boat looks..........oh ya, then theres the lure.......forgot about that part

Latest posts