Building my first dock, wondering about DYI bumpers... ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsuden

Reaction score
What's a material that works well for hammering to a wooden dock to serve as a bumper? I have some old tires, but they're radial and I suspect they'd be near impossible to cut up.

EPDM rubber roofing material if you rolled it so that you had more that one layer as it is only about 60mils thick. It is also sold as pond liner. Shopping pays.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=319341#p319341 said:
dieselfixer » 19 Jun 2013, 06:06[/url]"]X2 on what Countryboy said most VF companies have old hose around.

I know I should know this, but what's a VF company?

Volunteer Fire Department or Company. A couple pieces of insulation tubing inserted in the fire hose will make it
crushable or softer. Large diameter pool noodles inside the hose would do the same. :)
Where are you located?

Tin Boats came through again with great advice!

I called our local fire dept. and the chief said, "well that's a crazy coincidence, we just retired some fire hose and it's sitting here." I went down and measured, and don't you suppose it was exactly the length we needed to do both sides of our two six-foot dock sections!

The hose was 8" wide, and my dock rails are 5.5" high, so I needed to rip it. Tried a utility knife on it, and thought, "that ain't happenin." So I fired up the table saw, and had the whole 24 feet ripped in just a few minutes. Hint, if you ever do that, keep the hose moving through or the blade gets hot and smokes.

Next I cut it into six foot sections. And lastly, I "stuffed" the just-right-height hose with the skinnier section that was left over from the ripping. That should give it just enough cushion to provide some bumperishness. My plan is to use galvanized roofing nails to attach it to the dock sections.

Attachments

• IMG_1613.jpg
    IMG_1613.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 264
  • IMG_1614.JPG
    IMG_1614.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 264
Awesome, glad to hear it worked out well. We have some very creative people here when it
comes to "re-tasking" material. :)