Camping

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zum said:
My wife and I still use a tent to camp...5/6 times a year.
We did it with the kids growing up as well but my youngest is 21 now , he still drops by with his tent(and girl friend) to crash us sometimes. Hopefully the tenting tradition will carry on, i think it will. I love cooking over an open fire, cast iron frying pan and hotdogs or marshmallows on a stick.
I don't even like typing this but thinking on getting a small trailer...18-22' for provincial parks...a hard rain isn't as fun as it was years ago....although it still is something to laugh about later on.
Beautiful pictures, we don't have anything like that up here.
Had to laugh at the getting cool enough to tent...probably in the 50's here now daytime, close to freezing at night. Our tenting normally ends in September.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I see you are in Nova Scotia. We were in Halifax last month. Took a trip over to Peggy's Cove. Very beautiful place. We were only there for a day. This was part of cruise from Quebec City bouncing along south to New Jersey. We were a group of 10. Actually started the trip in Niagara Falls. Spent a couple of days driving up through Montreal and then to Quebec City were we boarded the cruise ship.

LDUBS said:
Zum said:
My wife and I still use a tent to camp...5/6 times a year.
We did it with the kids growing up as well but my youngest is 21 now , he still drops by with his tent(and girl friend) to crash us sometimes. Hopefully the tenting tradition will carry on, i think it will. I love cooking over an open fire, cast iron frying pan and hotdogs or marshmallows on a stick.
I don't even like typing this but thinking on getting a small trailer...18-22' for provincial parks...a hard rain isn't as fun as it was years ago....although it still is something to laugh about later on.
Beautiful pictures, we don't have anything like that up here.
Had to laugh at the getting cool enough to tent...probably in the 50's here now daytime, close to freezing at night. Our tenting normally ends in September.

I see you are in Nova Scotia. We were in Halifax last month. Took a trip over to Peggy's Cove. Very beautiful place. We were only there for a day. This was part of cruise from Quebec City bouncing along south to New Jersey. We were a group of 10. Actually started the trip in Niagara Falls. Spent a couple of days driving up through Montreal and then to Quebec City were we boarded the cruise ship.
3 hours drive to Halifax for me, I'm southwest near Yarmouth. That CAT ferry goes from Portland to Yarmouth, a lot less people down this way.

misunderstood said:
LDUBS said:
Jim said:
Does a Destination trailer in a campground count?

AC, Cable, Internet......you know, roughing it. :LOL2:

Plus ice cream has to be available at the campground store. LOL.
......and a pizza place nearby that delivers :p :lol:

Actually just sold our pop up camper and been looking hard at the Kodiak Canvas Tent. Close to pulling the trigger but wish I could see one in person to see actual usable room versus the 10 x 14 dimensions. Wonder how slanted the walls are, etc. Back to tents for us so I can pull the tin without putting it on the roof as some videos in the trailer section have shown. 8)

Those canvas tents pack down huge and heavy. Like two people to move it huge. I had a Agnus big Kahona tent that was nylon and even it filled a huge duffle bag. Too big for the jeep Cherrokee. After that we went to two tents with the kids. Much better for us, the kids loved having their own place and easier to setup two small than one big one. If you want it to be more insulated and weather resistant then look at 4 season tents. I still have a Sierra designs dome tent from the 80's. Cry once and have it for life. The little REI two man tent I use is kinda flimsy but if I'm only bedding down for the night like on the lake it gets it done. It packs down to the size of the Sunday paper.

351ifmd.jpg

Stumpalump said:
Those canvas tents pack down huge and heavy. Like two people to move it huge. I had a Agnus big Kahona tent that was nylon and even it filled a huge duffle bag. Too big for the jeep Cherrokee. After that we went to two tents with the kids. Much better for us, the kids loved having their own place and easier to setup two small than one big one. If you want it to be more insulated and weather resistant then look at 4 season tents. I still have a Sierra designs dome tent from the 80's. Cry once and have it for life. The little REI two man tent I use is kinda flimsy but if I'm only bedding down for the night like on the lake it gets it done. It packs down to the size of the Sunday paper.

351ifmd.jpg
Getting older and want one to be able to stand in. Not looking foe a hike in tent. I know they're heavy but seen enough videos on the one I'm looking at and always set up by one person. Thanks for the tips though, I'll give it some thought and do some research on them.

as far as tents go - I used the Eureka!® Tetragon series.
Easy set up—two aluminum or fiberglass poles snap together and you’re done. Unique rain fly
creates an “overhang” at the doorway to keep the ground drier, and your tent cleaner when it rains.
Available in sizes from a one person ultralight to a 9'x9' family size.
all have a waterproof tub floor with welded seams. the rain fly is optional during dry weather,
leave it off at night for star gazing.

but of course, this opens the door for personal choices like the Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge controversy.
camping is supposed to be fun and sharing....... not like raccoons squabbling over a crawdad in a creek.
so to me, all are good for car or boat camping: REI, Kelty, Magellan, Coleman, etc.

Tetragon Six.jpg
get out - have fun - be safe

Even with a good air mattress, I have to say I don't really like sleeping on the ground in a small tent. We try to bring the biggest one we can... fold out cots... big pillows... tables... chairs... a heater... a fan...... that makes all the difference on a week long trip... the little comforts make for a much more enjoyable trip. With a little planning you can make one of those big 12 man tents into a virtual cabin...

Sometimes the little truck camper works best.... for RV campgrounds next to a lake.....

IMG_0083.JPG

IMG_0074.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG

You guys have some nice tents and other places to sleep! I buy cheap tents, and use them until the issues add up.

Our main tent is a cheap Coleman tent that we picked up for ~$75 on sale. The quality isn't actually that bad. For car camping, the tent is great. It is 12x12, and has a door made out of bent poles. It has a nice awning, too. The selling point for me was that, as someone who is 6' tall, I can stand in the tent without stooping. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RPH7JY/

Our other tent for when we are kayak camping is also a cheapo. I think it was about $40. It is small and fairly light (~5lbs), and is pretty much a fine-mesh screen shelter with a floor. It has a nice rainfly that covers the whole thing, although I wouldn't want to be stuck in the rain in this tent. Without the rainfly, you get a mostly unobstructed view of the stars. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003GC4WLC/

I do the same Mike...cheap tents, although hind sight maybe a better quality one would have been cheaper. The one we use now takes about 5 seconds to put up, pretty cool.
As far as air matresses, I hate them, would rather sleep on a blanket or pad....find my kidneys or back gets cold with an air mattress.

Zum said:
I do the same Mike...cheap tents, although hind sight maybe a better quality one would have been cheaper. The one we use now takes about 5 seconds to put up, pretty cool.
As far as air matresses, I hate them, would rather sleep on a blanket or pad....find my kidneys or back gets cold with an air mattress.

Same here. We have a relatively inexpensive 9 x 16 tent that has "taken a licking but keeps on ticking". I'm actually surprised it has lasted as long as it has even if we do only use if one or twice per year. But, for the air mattress, I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum. Ours is thick like a box springs & mattress. The pump cycles on/off during the night to maintain the firmness setting. It even pumps the air out when it is time to deflate the mattress. Of course, we need an electrical outlet to make all of that work.

I have a couple of propane stoves and I still use the old Coleman pump-up stove. Have to buy white gas for it. Also have one of the old Coleman pump-up lanterns. Both the stove and lantern are 40+ years old and still work great.

Uh, I kind of hate to admit this, but we take the Keurig coffee machine and a large supply of Peet's with us when we go camping. Haha.

it's not a truck - it's not a tent

Dodge Van.jpg

I have had this 15 passenger van for 17 years and can not tell you how many
nights I have slept in it. the available floor space is 12 feet from the front seats
to the back door and 60" wide. a styrofoam insulating pad and sleeping bag is all I need.
the rear windows have 5% black-out limo tint and a black curtain pulls across the back of the front seats. (all rear seats removed).
I will be passing it to my grandson soon. if it only had four wheel drive it would be the Bees Knees !!!!
the van is 20 feet long. so if your boat trailer is 20', you have 40 feet of Family Fun rolling down the hi-way !!
for tent camping - this thing will hold all the firewood and creature comfy items you need.
when I was working up in the West Virginia mountains, the locals called it a West Virginia Bob Sled
as it had no traction what-so-ever in the ice and snow !!! (I fixed that with a dozen 80# bags of cement spread out in the back).

if you can find an older extended van in good condition, and you like to get out, I would recommend a BIG van
that you can modify yourself. if you have small kids, you can build bunk-beds in the back and it will sleep 6 with no problems.

Ditto what Johnny said. In a Van you can stealth camp almost anywhere. The wife and kids feel safe from storms, bears and thugs. Setup procedure is simple: Step one: Switch ignition key to the off position. Step two: Camp.
A van is built like a pickup. Mine was converted to 4x4 with all F350 parts but I've camped just fine out of Dodge caravans. This is my 2002 E350 that I've had for 11 years. It's got a small bar sink, 20 gallons of water, fold up craper, and most importantly a real bed with real pillows and a down comphortor. Certainly one of the best, most used and versital toys I have ever bought.

xga9fa.jpg

Jim said:
If I could find a 4x4 van, that would be my next vehicle. :LOL2:
Talk about hard to find. Check this low milage gem out. I'd be on the phone Jim because it may be actual miles and not as bad as the ad is. I found my van searching 4x4 RV's and is how I found this.
https://hartford.craigslist.org/rvs/d/rv-motor-home-camper/6354409747.html

Depending on how much you want to spend, 4x4 vans are not hard to find.

Quigley does conversions.
https://www.quigley4x4.com/

And the Mercedes Benz Sprinter is available with 4wd and a 4” lift from the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stumpalump said:
Jim said:
If I could find a 4x4 van, that would be my next vehicle. :LOL2:
Talk about hard to find. Check this low milage gem out. I'd be on the phone Jim because it may be actual miles and not as bad as the ad is. I found my van searching 4x4 RV's and is how I found this.
https://hartford.craigslist.org/rvs/d/rv-motor-home-camper/6354409747.html
They're out there https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/d/1989-chevrolet-gx4/6372335798.html

SeaFaring said:
And the Mercedes Benz Sprinter is available with 4wd and a 4” lift from the factory.
That is the worst riding vehicle ever! Don't plan to take long trips in one. Even a young guy like me was sore.

-CN- said:
SeaFaring said:
That is the worst riding vehicle ever! Don't plan to take long trips in one. Even a young guy like me was sore.

I have heard that buying parts for these vans are a nightmare. You have to order parts for the specific VIN # of the van you are working on. Parts are made for one vehicle only and you have to marry the parts to the van and marry the van to the part. I have some friends who work for a company that has these vans and they are not too fond of them. I guess if only have one van you could stock parts for it but if you have a fleet of them you would have to stock parts for each individual van if you wanted to go that route.

20170816_174008.jpgi use this to do this in places like this.

Attachments

• 20160701_090539.jpg
    20160701_090539.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 2,291
  • 20170811_122642_resized.jpg
    20170811_122642_resized.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 2,291