Cavitation plate

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawmill

Reaction score
I have a question on a short shaft motor made into a long shaft. A friend of mine bought a 15 hp Johnson motor this week and after he got it he found out that it was a long shaft motor. I had him get the aluminum angle and I made him a jack plate. He put this jack plate on today and mounted the motor. He adjusted the jack plate so that he has the same as a 20 inch transom. On his motor with it mounted the plate just above the prop hangs below the bottom of the boat but where the extension is in the motor there is another flat plate made into the motor shaft and it sits even with the bottom of the boat. He has the extension plus the lower unit the bottom of the boat. Is this right or will it cause problems when he uses it? Thanks Ivan

Is it the sailmaster version? This is even longer than a longshaft. And no, if it hangs in the water a little far its not going to hurt anything other than top speed and shallow water capabilities. You know what they say....better too be to long than too short