Cheap GPS solution

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bAcKpAiN

Reaction score
I was wondering what is what in the world of marine GPS. I am clueless and I am looking to get a simple unit to go to coordinates and save some waypoints for the smaller lakes in the area. The big units with all of the navonics chips and maps aren't needed as the small places around me won't have any info on em' anyway. I certainly don't plan to make any regular trips to any real big waters either. What would you think would work. Would I be able to get by with one made for say hiking, or a general handheld unit? Could I use one made for a car even?

What are some things I should look for?

i use a super basic handheld. we had trouble getting back to the right ramp one day in the fog after that i would never be on the water without a gps. bought mine used for next to nothing maybe it was nothing i think it was. anyways its a yellow magellan i think works fine

Gander Mountain has a pretty good deal on a Garmin eTrex in their upcoming sale. I saw it on the thread that was around here yesterday.

I bought the color model last year for hunting and fishing. It works great for hunting and I expect it to be the same for fishing.

I use a Lowrance H2O C for all my fishing needs. It comes with a minimal base map loaded on it that works fine, but there are maps you can buy for your area that show lake contours and streets and such. I use it for hunting and fishing, works great. The chip I have is for Minnesota, and it has all of the lakes no matter how small, and the more popular lakes have contours down to 1 foot.

https://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602025-cat21350&id=0028183017032a&navCount=2&podId=0028183&parentId=cat21350&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat21350&hasJS=true

You can look around and find them for cheaper. I paid $250 for mine locally, plus $75 for the chip.

I have a Garmin E-trex H and it is a awesome little unit. Very easy to use accurate. I use it all the time. Not a bad deal for $99

ACarbone624 said:
I have a Garmin E-trex H and it is a awesome little unit. Very easy to use accurate. I use it all the time. Not a bad deal for $99

Can you use it for streets as well, or strictly terrain?

No, I use it for fishing, hiking and geocaching

images

bAcKpAiN said:
Can you use it for streets as well, or strictly terrain?

You can use it for streets but you must purchase another map set that is as much or more than the GPS unit itself.

I got the Garmin eTrex Legend C,(color map navigator) it has the position arrow, works fine.