Considering a new boat, opinions please

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarobi

Reaction score
Hello all.

I own a 1974 Lowe Line 1636, decked included a bow casting deck. It doesn't leak a drop and has been great, but my current 6'5" 320-lb. fishing buddy has made stability a real problem. I've decided to buy a new at least 17' hull, set it up the way I want, and keep it forever. I'm mainly a crappie fisherman, but sometimes chase white bass, walleye, and run trotlines. I have a 1981 Johnson 25hp that absolutely refuses to quit. I'll mount it on the new hull until it dies, probably 15 years from now, then I'll attach a 40 horse tiller. Here are the two contenders:

https://www.trackerboats.com/boat/?boat=3269
Tracker 1754 jon
505 lbs.
.100 aluminum, all welded

https://www.loweboats.com/showroom/rivited-jon/lowe-jon/l1852mt.php
Lowe 1854 jon
475 lbs.
.072 aluminum, riveted

These two hulls are within my budget, same price when a livewell is added to the Tracker. Thanks for any input.

It looks like the Lowe is riveted and not welded. Welded is a good thing if you can afford it. I personally like the Tracker. I have a Tracker 1448 Grizzly and except for the paint job which is average, the boat is great. It's nice to have the center open - the Tracker is designed for that and the floor's already in. I like the configuration of the "U"-shaped bench seat in back and the deck in front. I had a Lowe 1236 before and the Lowe boats are good so I am sure either way you go you'll be happy. With a 54" width you'll be able to take two of your fishing buddies along...

Thanks for the replies! I want at least a 17' hull. That Weldbilt 1752 is right on the money, & their trailers look better and are cheaper than anything Lowe or J. Morris offers. I think I might give them a call. Another thing I like about the WeldBilt is the pedestal seat mount in the center. Something iIwas going to add to the Tracker if I went that route. Thanks again folks!

Latest posts