Country Dave’s Lowe 1752 modification/restoration project.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok guys I have to say having wisdom teeth pulled sucks! :sick: I’m on the mend but pain still flares up from time to time. Anyway I got my Beavertail floats pods yesterday and I am happy with the overall quality. My mod V transom has a little bit of deadrise so if I mount the float pods following the bottom of the transom and hull they will be tilted up a little at the top like this one in the pic.

If I mount them with the tops level there will be a gap on the bottom part of transom on the inside corners. I called the manufactures of the pods and the guy really sounded unsure. He told me to mount the strait across on at the top but that just doesn’t sound right to me, again he didn’t really seem to sure. Any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Beaver tail.jpg
    Beaver tail.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,416
I'd say those are mounted correctly, I mean following the countour/slope of the bottom of the hull would be the proper thing to do, in my opinion. Because the beavertails are built like a square box, the top of the pod is going to be sloped (kinda funky lookin) but shouldn't affect performance. Had you built the pods you could have sloped the bottom and made the top level which would have been more cosmetic looking.

Poormans Boatright said:
I'd say those are mounted correctly, I mean following the countour/slope of the bottom of the hull would be the proper thing to do, in my opinion. Because the beavertails are built like a square box, the top of the pod is going to be sloped (kinda funky lookin) but shouldn't affect performance. Had you built the pods you could have sloped the bottom and made the top level which would have been more cosmetic looking.

Thanks PB,

That’s what I’m thinking. Yeh they will tilt up a little at top but I need all the extra lift/floatation I can get. If I mount them level at the top I’m not going to get the full benefit from the pod. Not that I don’t want my build to be aesthetically pleasing, I do but performance and safety are more important.
Thanks for your input.

really like what you are doing to your 1752 and your 1448 turned out awesome!!! i have been fishing my 1436 for awhile now and its definately time for something bigger! i cant wait to get a bigger jon... but untill then i will keep watching your build and maybe steal some of your ideas when i get lucky on a new boat!

The bottom of the pods are supposed to be at a slight angle upwards. Whenever youre on plane the nose is higher which makes the pods sit level. As long as the bottom of the pod is in the water youre benefiting from more surface displacement.

Though I believe that the angled ones in the pic are mounted correctly, If it were my boat, I would make the outside edge of the pod even with the bottom of the boat (at that point) and level them out. Personally, I couldn't get used to the pod leaning like that. I really do not think you are gonna lose much performance and or floatation. On your boat how much lower would the bottom of the hull be than the pod if you made it level? Maybe someone that has dealt with issue before can chime in. Also, it amazes me that the guy at beavertail sounded unsure, as I am sure you are not the first one to have this issue?

inlovewithsurfin said:
really like what you are doing to your 1752 and your 1448 turned out awesome!!! i have been fishing my 1436 for awhile now and its definately time for something bigger! i cant wait to get a bigger jon... but untill then i will keep watching your build and maybe steal some of your ideas when i get lucky on a new boat!

Thanks guys “inlovewithsurfin” good looking avatar. :D I was able to mock up the float pods last night just to see what they would look like and what the angle would be if I mounted them to follow the upward slope of the transom. It’s just about a 9°tilt.
It doesn’t look terrible but I think I’m going to follow PB advice and just mount them flush at the top. Thanks again PB for your insight. I’m not going to split hairs, I’m not trying to set a new speed record or anything, just trying to float and run a little skinnier plus help support a heavy motor.

There’s going to be a small gab between the bottom inside corners of the pods and the transom if I mount them flush at the top, but I don’t think it’s going to adversely affect the performance much if at all. I’m going to be running a 115 fore stroke so I’m not too worried about it.
Besides as long as your don’t have anything below the transom you’re not going to have any parasitic drag I think that’s more important than anything else. If they are angled down below the transom it would be like running with your trim taps down all the time.

Attachments

• 038.JPG
    038.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,367
  • 040.JPG
    040.JPG
  • 041.JPG
    041.JPG
  • 044.JPG
    044.JPG
Badbagger said:
You're fine as you are Dave. Looking great!

Thanks bro,

I’m really still undecided. I only want to do this once. It would look better if they were level at the top for sure. I just wonder how much if any noticeable performance would be lost if I cheated the inside bottom corner of the pod up and inch and a half. That’s the difference when I mocked the up level tonight, 1 ½ inch at the very inside measurement and obviously that number decreases at it goes outward.

Man I just don’t know. ](*,)

I don't think it will affect performance much if at all, the idea correct me if I'm wrong is to add more floation and thereby increase stability of the boat correct?

Gators5220 said:
I don't think it will affect performance much if at all, the idea correct me if I'm wrong is to add more floation and thereby increase stability of the boat correct?

It'll increase stability at rest from my knowledge but not while underway. If they're positioned properly, you won't have any drag to affect the performance of the boat. Handling wise, you'll probably find she'll corner a bit more sluggishly.
They should sure help with the engine weight combined with stern weight from fuel etc.

Badbagger said:
Gators5220 said:

It'll increase stability at rest from my knowledge but not while underway. If they're positioned properly, you won't have any drag to affect the performance of the boat. Handling wise, you'll probably find she'll corner a bit more sluggishly.
They should sure help with the engine weight combined with stern weight from fuel etc.

Well I’m going to weld them tonight. I’m still undecided on what way I will go but leaning towards following the contour of the bottom of the transom. They will indeed help the boat be a little bit more stable but the main benefit simply put, it will float the boat higher in the stern at rest because it supports the weight better.

When running it will help keep the bow rise to a minimum because it’s applying upward force to the stern. That allows for a better hole shots and you plane out faster because you’re pushing the bow down. Everyone’s been in a stern heavy boat or an underpowered boat, you spank it and try and get up on plane and the stern digs in and the bow rises up. It takes a bit before the stern rises up and forces the bow down so you can plan out.
The float pods allow you to float higher in the water at rest. Run skinnier and helps support a heavy stern. Those are the real benefits and certainly the ones I’m looking for.

Ok I got ya, thanks for the lesson on it. I wasn't sure what it exactly was for, but I assumed floation which it kinda does I suppose help like lift the motor when your floating, but makes more sense it has more benefits as bevertail boats has made a fortune off that design.

Good afternoon all,

This morning I scuffed the primer and laid a coat of top paint over it. I want the floor to be sealed up real good and insulated. I’m going to put a second coat on it in a little bit and then the floor will be done. Well that part of it anyway. If I have time I’m going to start mounting my floor supports today.
Pods went on last night and look pretty cool. I decided to follow the contour of the bottom so they have a slight tilt inward, and I’m cool with that. It doesn’t look bad; I don’t know kinda looks cool I think. :LOL2:

Anyway my camera is in my truck, I have my company car today so I guess I’m going to have to make a pass by there so I can grab it. I want to post some pics and see what you, all think. Ok getting some lunch and my camera. I will post later today. You all have a good one.

I was able to start on the floor supports/stringers.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,380
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,380
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
Good morning,

I’m getting a late start today. I had to run down do my other property and take the boat off the lift for the renters, there coming tomorrow. Theyyounggun the plugs are not the screw in kind. I would like to take credit for the welding but my buddy set the temp and feed on the welder, tacked them in place then handed me the gun and helmet. It’s not too bad with the wire feed gun.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,339
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG

Latest posts