cuddy cabin - weather break & season stretcher

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that bimini & sidepanel is much more anchored than i would have imagined. the video of the inside looking towards the bow makes the whole assembly look like the fabric avenue is worth investigating further & i like the light framework holding it up.

Q: is it customary to have waterproof fabric?

or is it more of a canvas tent fabric which is only water resistant until somebody runs their finger on it and then it starts to leak? (the cover leaks not the finger)

thanks for the video

tom q vaxy said:
that bimini & sidepanel is much more anchored than i would have imagined. the video of the inside looking towards the bow makes the whole assembly look like the fabric avenue is worth investigating further & i like the light framework holding it up.

Q: is it customary to have waterproof fabric?

or is it more of a canvas tent fabric which is only water resistant until somebody runs their finger on it and then it starts to leak? (the cover leaks not the finger)

thanks for the video

I'm mot sure, it's not mine. But i would assume it is the same coated heavey nylon fabric that bimini tops are made of. It would be no different than the full emclosure for a pontoon boat. Check out boat supply places, you can get bimini tops for all kinds of boats including tin boats. I would think that the front panels are custom built though.below are just a couple places

https://www.boatcoversdirect.com/products/bimini_tops/?gclid=CjwKCAjwlrqHBhByEiwAnLmYUFvsb_OLtqI4zDj-dZl6bJlPzxgRdjpKH3ZDf_hQ4Avn5Afnz5OvjRoCxIIQAvD_BwE

https://www.coverquest.com/bimini-tops?gclid=CjwKCAjwlrqHBhByEiwAnLmYUDZyfITy4tXk4YuOXzPVpN11pfoON1LNPBa2CkckH_EVK-rpjovABhoCdlUQAvD_BwE

Hi Tom,

I've built and lived aboard a 31 foot houseboat in 1989, and traveled 1700 miles down the coast in it and across Florida, and lived onboard off and on over a ten year period.

Many of the boats you picture are similar but about half the length (and probably 1/8 the displacement). I've looked at your first post and you just mention a "flat bottomed boat." so I'm a little unclear, is this a project you envision to enclose an existing boat, like a Jon-boat, or are you asking about building a hull from scratch?

If a Jon-boat conversion project, obviously weight and windage matter a LOT. If a new purpose-built hull, then the beam can be wider, particularly below the waterlineby eliminating flare in the topsides. And that will allow more displacement and provide more stability with a little more windage. There's a limit however, if you plan to do more than keep it at a dock, and that will depend on what kind of conditions you plan to motor in and the performance you expect.

Another question I have is, if what you are thinking about is a conversion, is this a temporary top that would be removable seasonally, or a permanent part of the boat? I have a few Ideas along those lines, and may eventually make something removable that's low, light and simple for my '58' Crestliner Super Seaman 14. (Just bought that BTW, and looking forward to a maiden voyage this week.).

This one can be a little interesting in a stiff headwind, but uncontrollable, no.

Attachments

• IMG_20190122_163616791.jpg
    IMG_20190122_163616791.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 93