CUSTOM JET JON FROM THE GROUND UP

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roughly 25 gallon fuel cell to go up front. Filled up with water to see how many leaks I have. Amazingly only had a couple small pinholes to patch. I am going to use the stock r1 pump that mounts upside down in the bottom of the tank. Not the most ideal setup but should work.

Attachments

• 0321152147.jpg
    0321152147.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,699
silverbullet2003 said:
Roughly 25 gallon fuel cell to go up front. Filled up with water to see how many leaks I have. Amazingly only had a couple small pinholes to patch. I am going to use the stock r1 pump that mounts upside down in the bottom of the tank. Not the most ideal setup but should work.

Very nice work! Once you have the tank welded up, the only sure way to check for leaks is to pressurize the tank to about 3 PSI and spray soapy water on all the seams and fittings.

Overall shot of the boat on my utility trailer. Did weld some angle down both sides. Need to weld some to the bottom yet but waiting for my trailer so I can space them correctly. Don't want them to end up where the bunks are.

Attachments

• 0308151625.jpg
    0308151625.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 1,695
Interesting idea on the heat exchanger. So you are going to keep the pressurized system? I was going to just use pump water for cooling, same setup as the pwc engine (I am in fresh water). Do you think an unpressurized system will work?

CedarRiverScooter said:
Interesting idea on the heat exchanger. So you are going to keep the pressurized system? I was going to just use pump water for cooling, same setup as the pwc engine (I am in fresh water). Do you think an unpressurized system will work?

I kicked around that idea of using jet pump water, but we have a shallow river with lots of sand that motorcycle engines aren't designed to deal with. And the lubricating factor of the coolant, that water won't give you. Constantly pumping cold water directly into engine might not be the best idea either. Not real sure though. I like the fact that my engine will never plug and overheat like my last outboard. And I really won't have to do much for winterization but pull the plug on my exchanger box and call it a day.

silverbullet2003 said:
CedarRiverScooter said:

I kicked around that idea of using jet pump water, but we have a shallow river with lots of sand that motorcycle engines aren't designed to deal with. And the lubricating factor of the coolant, that water won't give you. Constantly pumping cold water directly into engine might not be the best idea either. Not real sure though. I like the fact that my engine will never plug and overheat like my last outboard. And I really won't have to do much for winterization but pull the plug on my exchanger box and call it a day.
I am keeping engine and radiator full of coolant and having my jet pump water into the box and just overflow out the back of the boat through a hose.

CedarRiverScooter said:
Cool build! Wish I had your welder.

I just spent 15 minutes typing a post only to also lose it before it took. So here goes again . . .

I've been keeping it to myself, but I am also working on a CR install. Little brother to yours, YZF600R, was a basket case.

I was feeling it was a crazy idea, but that never stopped me before. I don't like my 2 smokey PWC engine & couldn't find a Yammie marine engine at affordable price.

I don't want to steal your thunder, but have made some progress on mine. I will temp mount the engine above deck & run chain down to shaft, supported with a pillow block bearing. If engine works out (I question if it has enough torque), then will fab permanent mounts, etc. Will have to move my fuel tank too.

I next need to figure out how to mount the sprocket onto the shaft without machining the splines. Thinking of heat shrinking a collar on with a woodruff key.

I have modified the header, let us know what you are doing there.

Keep post the pictures!

The gearing is going to be a little tricky to figure out as well as fitting sprocket to the jackshaft and now that I decided to sit engine above the jet intake I created myself more work and more parts to involve. But I will be saving a foot or so more space in boat. Having 6 gears to choose from should give me a some room for error.
The exhaust is one part of this project I have not messed with yet and have no clue how I'm going to do it. Would love to have duals out the back but we will see what I Have room for once it's all mounted permanently

Well it's great to have someone with similar project to share ideas with.

Today (i'm retired so this is my current hobby) I came up with an idea to mount the sprocket to the shaft.

I ground spline grooves in a 5/8-18 hex nut to fit the sprocket. I will thread the end of shaft 5/8-18. Also will put a shaft collar on & use thick washers to keep sprocket square. I roughed out some torque calculations & it should be strong enough at least for the prototype. It would be best to machine something & have it hardened for the permanent installation though.

As far as exhaust, isn't your engine same block as the yammie VX marine engine? Could you use their marine manifold?

What I have done so far on exhaust is to reshape the header to exit towards the stern. It is important to keep tube lengths the same, as they are tuned. I am going to run dry exhaust for the prototype testing. For permanent wet exhaust, I am going to wrap each tube with copper tubing & dump the cooling water into a downturned elbow, then exhaust goes into the waterbox.

Dual exhaust would be cool but again the header is tuned so it may not have the same flow characteristics the engine wants.

Another item I have been thinking about - are you going to shield the chain? Seems to me it will throw grease all over unless there is a guard. Also a thrown chain at 7000 RPM could be nasty.

Good luck!

Silver Bullet - I temp mounted my 600 & ran a chain down to the impeller shaft, then on-trailer-tested at ramp. I thought you might want to hear about my findings.

The 600cc (YZF600R) engine pulled fine, didn't have a tach but estimated by ear 7000 RPM (the pump's designed RPM). It was in high gear & had some throttle left. Your 1000cc should pull even better. It started in-gear no problem (I didn't have the clutch hooked up).

2 things are clear:

1) The exhaust pipe (was high & dry) was mega-radiating heat. Fabbing a wet-exhaust is definitely the next key step. If I can't make something safe for under deck, then the whole concept is dead.

2) I found the jet pump's cooling water didn't start flowing until about 2K RPM. Part of that might be that the engine was mounted above deck (up high temporarily). But I think your design of wet/wet cooler is the way to go so that the engine never runs empty of coolant. So I may be copying your design :).

Good luck on your build!

CedarRiverScooter said:
Silver Bullet - I temp mounted my 600 & ran a chain down to the impeller shaft, then on-trailer-tested at ramp. I thought you might want to hear about my findings.

The 600cc (YZF600R) engine pulled fine, didn't have a tach but estimated by ear 7000 RPM (the pump's designed RPM). It was in high gear & had some throttle left. Your 1000cc should pull even better. It started in-gear no problem (I didn't have the clutch hooked up).

2 things are clear:

1) The exhaust pipe (was high & dry) was mega-radiating heat. Fabbing a wet-exhaust is definitely the next key step. If I can't make something safe for under deck, then the whole concept is dead.

2) I found the jet pump's cooling water didn't start flowing until about 2K RPM. Part of that might be that the engine was mounted above deck (up high temporarily). But I think your design of wet/wet cooler is the way to go so that the engine never runs empty of coolant. So I may be copying your design :).

Good luck on your build!
I would love to see how you made your drive chain work. Do you have any pics of your project so far?

Bumping this thread.....

Any updates for us?

Any idea for a trailer with this thing. Please say homemade!

Sorry for not updating. Was a long, cold, money-less winter with other projects in and out of garage so didn't do much on the boat. But spring is here so have started going at it again.
I managed to round up some friends to flip boat a few weeks ago and get some angles welded to the bottom (forgot I had some 1/4" ones all cut to length laying on the shelf last fall so I welded 1/8" That I had laying here). I was kinda pissed once I realized it but it was easier to get the 1/8" to follow the waves in my sheeting underneath.
I got my fuel pump mounted in bottom of my fuel tank and my tank permanently mounted, with a fuel pressure problem that I figured out to be self inflicted.
I got the engine full of coolant and decided to run it to get my motivation back. I brought my reflective tach home from work to see what kind of rpms I was running at my drive sprocket that I would be having to deal with. After some half *** readings I pretty much got it figured out. Give or take due to having a hard time keeping it at a constant rpm as it warmed up and through all 6 gears. Had to Order a few sensors that I was missing, to get a couple trouble codes dealt with.
I pretty much have all my hoses for my water box plumbed in and figured out except for a few loose ends.

I recently layed it down on my trailer(not homemade at this point) I have been waiting for since last fall and it fits pretty good overall. I hauled it out to the local lake/pit to dip it in the water and find out how many leaks I had to deal with and surprisingly only had 3 to deal with. One of which I burned through bottom and rewelded over to seal it. The other two are going to be marine adhesived shut due to the location and difficulty to get my spoolgun in there.

I am getting the bottom of my Boat foamed tomorrow along with half way up the walls and will be putting the floor and walls in as soon as I get it back.

Ordered some seats and pedestals tonight and will put them in whenever they show up.

I am working on finding some reliable bearings right now for my sprocket shafts but not having much luck. Not a fan of Chinese made stuff. Haha

Will post some recent pics tonight or tomorrow

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1463019791986.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1463019791986.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 959
  • uploadfromtaptalk1463019815635.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1463019815635.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 959
  • uploadfromtaptalk1463019829529.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1463019829529.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 959
  • uploadfromtaptalk1463019885276.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1463019885276.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 959
  • uploadfromtaptalk1463019909520.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1463019909520.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 959
  • uploadfromtaptalk1463019923390.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1463019923390.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 959
  • uploadfromtaptalk1463019962896.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1463019962896.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 959
  • uploadfromtaptalk1463019977493.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1463019977493.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 959
  • uploadfromtaptalk1463019989793.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1463019989793.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 959
  • uploadfromtaptalk1463020041815.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1463020041815.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 959
Got my floor pieces cut and temporarily layed in boat along with my walls over the weekend to make sure they fit. Had a delay in getting my foam sprayed in due to weather but got that done yesterday. Not as evenly sprayed as I would have hoped but the price was right and I'll never see it again so can't complain.
I called all over the country and I come to the conclusion that pillow bearings for my drive sprockets is out of the question. None Will handle the RPMs that I will be pushing, so back to the drawing board on that.

View attachment 1View attachment 2View attachment 3View attachment 4

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1463623883399.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1463623883399.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 889
  • uploadfromtaptalk1463623892349.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1463623892349.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 889
  • uploadfromtaptalk1463623901041.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1463623901041.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 889
  • uploadfromtaptalk1463623908046.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1463623908046.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 889
  • uploadfromtaptalk1463623919650.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1463623919650.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 889
Did talk to the main DNR OFFICER today about getting it registered and titled and he pretty much said he wasn't going to even look at the boat construction, just was going to make sure it wasn't stolen. A little weight off my shoulders for that part anyway

Latest posts