Optimal jet boat for the fishing I want to do

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ror105

Reaction score
New guy here and thanks to all in advance. Trying to get educated on what I don't know....which is a lot.

Been fishing smaller rivers here in Central PA (Juniata and Susquehanna) with my buddy on his Tracker Pro 17 with a 60/40 Merc jet. I'm not getting any younger and I don't want to wait until retirement to get myself a decent boat. Have a small Jon boat now that gets me around on the local lakes but limited to number of folks I can put in it, and it kills the trolling motor battery before I am done for the day. It sits mostly because it is too small, its ancient 6hp Merc needs rebuilt and it is narrow, guessing it's a 1448 maybe.

Ideally I want to get my dad (almost 80, but still active) and possibly my 2 sons (17 and 22) or wife out on the water with me to fish and relax in the sun. Started to settle on trying to find a Tracker like my friend has but really would like something with a wider beam to help with stability and allow more family to go along. I am sure most of the time it will be me and a passenger. After running with my buddy up the Juniata when the water was extremely low and we beat through there to get to our destination, I decided I want a center console mounted as far forward as they come to help navigate through the mine fields.

We've been at the Susky, and I like the river a lot. I'd like something that I can run shallow but would have as little draft as possible if the water is low and it's me and another person out for the day. Some options I have considered recently are the G3 17 and 18CCJ DLX. Prior to that I romanticized about getting a Ranger RT178 or 188 (always wanted a Comanche before I had kids), but finding them setup with a jet has been next to impossible and I am becoming sold on the tunnel hull that G3 has on those boats.

Not really looking to go fast and I know with a full crew on board I need the power to move the weight. But trying to reduce as much weight on the transom, etc to have a shallow draft boat that can motor up either of those 2 rivers and also get us to our fishing holes is primary goal.

Again, really just getting educated and hoping the brain trust here at tinboats can share lessons learned, knowledge on whether I am in the right arena, help me avoid a purchase that isn't well thought out, etc.

Thanks to all and hope to hear some good advice.

Rob

With the # of people you mention absolutely go with the biggest motor option. Don't worry so much about sitting a little deeper at rest once on plane that hull will do what it was meant for and that's go skinny. My brother has the g3 18ccj with 115/80 it's a fine boat. We mostly fish the upper Potomac with it. Seriously consider having uhmw underbelly added he put a nasty dent in his bottom and had to get it fixed then he added the uhmw. Now it glides over rocks its crazy. It's like having a 4x4 boat.

Last edited:
Not sure I'd say that the Susky is a smallish river! :D

We have a 2022 G3 17' CCJ w/90/65. We do great in it with 2 people. With 3, it gets tight. It can still plane out quickly, but all three have to be on the forward half. Four would not work.

I'd recommend the 18 or even the 20, with the largest motor combo they offer. I believe you can get pods on the 18 and 20, but not the 17.

I think Lakeside G3 dealer is down your way. I've heard only good things about them.

For a premium river sled, look at Rockproof.

IMG_9344.jpgIMG_6348.jpg

You may want to look for an 1872 boat with the number of people you're talking about. There are a couple of SeaArks here on the Delaware and they look real stable with several people.

Don't over look a Duckworth, Thunderjet or the like. Some years ago I did some unbelievable things in both those brands with a number of folks in them in less then skinny water a couple of times. At the time I lived in Alaska and both those brands carry very good reputations up there as well as the Northwest. Some of those rivers demand a great hull, plenty of power and an operator that uses that power and being able to read the water to be able to get back to the trailer.

Folks,
All great advice and insight; really appreciate the feedback.

Here is what I discovered in the last month or so. Stopped in at Towne Marine in Bloomsburg and talked with Carl (Karl?). Looked at the 18 CCJ DLX and I like the looks of that boat. Really impressed with the size but the draft has me a little concerned about some of the places local to me. I know this is a balance of capability and ability to go skinny and any choice is a compromise one way or another. Really like the idea of enough hp to go into bigger water with more than 1 other person (and pursue trips to bigger water not close to me) and expect that when my local river is down (Juniata) I won't be fishing with the G3. Maybe keep the little boat and find a jet for it.

If I go the G3 route, I'd like to get it rigged up before leaving the dealership. Turnkey and ready to go. Mostly talking electronics and anchors or Talons and get your opinions on the SeaDek covering. I think a Garmin Deckhand anchor would be ideal for me because I want to avoid hanging more weight on the stern of the boat with Talons. Am I missing something here??

On to electronics; I know these systems aren't magic and they only provide more information. Not fishing tournaments but would like to improve chance of success. The entire last summer, my buddy and I hit the rivers hard. Chance of a skunk day was 50% and on the other days, it was likely we would each catch one or 2 nice fish. That's been it. My thoughts on the benefits of fish finders, forward scan, side scan, etc are to help locate structure, localize areas where fish may be and possibly also aid in navigation. So, looking for any thoughts or suggestions on what is an ideal setup. Not afraid to spend the $$ to get a good setup, but definitely don't want to have buyers remorse and find out I went the wrong path. I have read that the Livescope systems etc are intended for advanced users due to the number of knobs at the users control but would like to buy a system that I can learn and grow into. I am somewhat savvy with electronics in general, and would enjoy learning the usefulness of what ever system I settle on.

More recently, I have looked more and more at the G3 20CCJ DLX which is getting even larger and I am guessing more draft. I think this is just large enough that it won't fit in my garage, which is critical for me. Would really like to keep the boat out of the weather and allow easy access to charging batteries, keeping the boat open to get ready for next trip, etc. Anyone have real measurements of the two boat and trailer combo's with the tongue removed? G3 website says the difference is about 1.5'; curious if that is minimum length or not? I think max I can do is 24' and still close my garage door.

And for you PA folks that have used Towne and Lakeside, anyone hard over on one dealership over the other?

Super appreciative of all the help you have provided. I won't be comfortable with a decision until I complete the mandatory second guessing of myself, overanalyze every aspect, change my mind once or 3X, and then come up with a 95% solution and pull the trigger.

Thanks again folks!!
-Rob

My son choose Towne because it was closer than Lakeside, but it was still 3 hours away. Towne negotiated a little better price too. The only support we have needed has been phone calls and email. They sent decals and touch-up paint, etc under warrenty. Lakeside gets allot positive comments on the FB G3 Boats and G3 Jet Boats groups. They seem to like it better than Towne.

I think they only install MK trolling motors, and that might limit you to Humminbird products, for better integration. I'd see if they would install LiFePO4 batteries over LA, for the trolling motor. Minimize the weight gain. I think they will install pods on the 18 and 20 footers that would help with your draft. If you add talons, probably want the extra bouancy, but might create a mounting dilema. We only use/have anchor lock.

I only have "old" electonics. Mainly use it for depth monitoring and GPS navigating, marking the path through the shallow sections. Use the side scan some when the smallies are still in their deeper water wintering locations. ie find the structure they are hiding behind. We use Google Maps and Bing to review satalite images to select paths thru new water.

Hope that helps some.

Thanks FuzzyGrub! That does help a lot.

I am a little torn with overall weight gain, and weight distribution. Lithium batteries mounted under the console may only help a little with overall weight split front to back. Doubt I want to consider mounting lead-acids further forward in one of the compartments to help with that split and still be carrying the mass of 3 if I go 36V.

Appreciate it!!

When our trolling motor LA batteries start to get weak, definitely going LiFePO4. If distribution is a concern, you will be able to take more gear/weight in the front hatches. Or consider it being like the operator going on a diet. ;)

PS: Don't forget about the other advantages of LiFePO4, like you will probably never have to replace them in your lifetime.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Lakeside Marine in Harrisburg Pa is where my brother got his. Probably not too far from you. I almost bought a g3 bay 18 from them they seem like a decent dealer. I wouldn't worry so much about draft at rest the bigger boats are so much wider they don't draft as much as you might think. I can push pole my 20 footer through 10 inches my 1436 only goes 2-3" shallower. Wherever you stop in a jet you'll want to make sure you have enough room to take back off and be on plane before entering the shallows. Whatever electronics you get make sure it has a gps that will allow you to save your tracks that's incredibly valuable navigating shallow rivers. Your last post mentioned wanting to try bigger water sometimes. I will caution that my brother's 18ft jet is the roughest riding boat I've ever been in on choppy water. We take it crabbing sometimes on shallow tributaries on the Chesapeake and have had it on the Chesapeake long enough to change spots it's a rough wet ride if the wind or boat traffic are up. Can't trim the bow up like with a prop motor

Thanks FuzzyGrub! That does help a lot.

I am a little torn with overall weight gain, and weight distribution. Lithium batteries mounted under the console may only help a little with overall weight split front to back. Doubt I want to consider mounting lead-acids further forward in one of the compartments to help with that split and still be carrying the mass of 3 if I go 36V.

Appreciate it!!
I saved 180lbs ditching 3 lead acid batteries for 1 lifepo4. Price was about the same I went with a li time but plenty of cheap lifepo4 batteries on the market now

Late to the party. If I was getting a boat for the susky and juniata it would come down to rock proof or river pro.

Late to the party. If I was getting a boat for the susky and juniata it would come down to rock proof or river pro.
Saw a Rock Proof River Rocket on our stretch of the Susky, last year. A guy from Pa that just took delivery that spring. Very nice machine!

So, just told the wife this is happening. Kind of already gave her a clue but now it's official. If I plan on taking advantage of the deals going on now with financing and extended motor warranty on the Yamaha with G3, I have to act now.

I like those RockProof boats (a lot) and I am sure that Rotax engine is a blast to run. Seems like overkill for the lower Juniata which is close to home and will end up being 40-50% of my fishing. The other 20 to 30 will be Susquehanna and the last percentage will be cross country trips throughout the year to run and fish the rivers I have seen from the highways across the country over the years. I am typically a pretty conservative guy and I think that is why I am landing on the G3. However that boat is outfitted from the start will be how I run it until the motor needs a rebuild. At that point I'll update electronics, and any other mechanicals necessary as well, do the refresh etc. Or, buy something that suits my needs at the time. But for now.......

Someone tell my why the extra 20K or so won't matter down the road If I go with something else?

So, just told the wife this is happening. Kind of already gave her a clue but now it's official. If I plan on taking advantage of the deals going on now with financing and extended motor warranty on the Yamaha with G3, I have to act now.

I like those RockProof boats (a lot) and I am sure that Rotax engine is a blast to run. Seems like overkill for the lower Juniata which is close to home and will end up being 40-50% of my fishing. The other 20 to 30 will be Susquehanna and the last percentage will be cross country trips throughout the year to run and fish the rivers I have seen from the highways across the country over the years. I am typically a pretty conservative guy and I think that is why I am landing on the G3. However that boat is outfitted from the start will be how I run it until the motor needs a rebuild. At that point I'll update electronics, and any other mechanicals necessary as well, do the refresh etc. Or, buy something that suits my needs at the time. But for now.......

Someone tell my why the extra 20K or so won't matter down the road If I go with something else?

I'm not sure what extra 20K you are asking about? But, it sounds like this will be a lifetime boat, keeping it to well after engine rebuild, and on. 20K won't matter much over that much time.

The biggest advantage the Rockproof has over the G3 and boats like it, is surviability on a strike to the hull. G3 and the like will need repairs. I don't know how likely that is in the waters you run. I know our waters well, and knock on wood, haven't hit anything yet.

The 20K was the difference between the 20 CCJ DLX and a Rock Proof.

Just measured the actual depth of my garage and I am at 21'5". 18 CCJ on their website show's 23'2' while the 17 CCJ is 21'2". I don't think the 17 is going to work for me otherwise and not wanting to go smaller for it to fit in what I have now.

FuzzyGrub or anyone else happen to know your length on the 17 with the trailer tongue removed? Measured tip of what's left of trailer to furthest point back on the motor I guess?

I am already contemplating getting another garage built as I have been out of real space for years. Don't have the appetite to buy both a garage and boat this year. Wife says go....she doesn't do the books.

Thanks!

I should be able to get you a length as it suppose to hit 60 today. My son was pushing to get out there, but river is 12' high, cold, and muddy. You would have to snag a smallie today.

I should be able to get you a length as it suppose to hit 60 today. My son was pushing to get out there, but river is 12' high, cold, and muddy. You would have to snag a smallie today.

I get 19' 7". I moved my winch post forward a few inches, so the corner of the winch is 3" forward of the trailer at the removable hitch point. The measurement includes that. Shift it back and its still the same overall length.

The removeable tongue extends out 22". It looks like those measurements are the total overall length. Best to measure one at the dealer to make sure there wasn't changes.

FYI: The trolling motor is currently stored. It might extend an inch or two forward of the winch point. You would want one that is removeable, anyway.

If you have some side to side room, can gain some by storing katty corner.

Myself, all my boats are stored outside with covers. Tin boats can take it. Maybe some day I'll have a pole barn.