Decent Day on Neely Henry (Coosa River)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigngrub

Reaction score
Got the boat out on the water for the first time since the restoration yesterday and did some trolling for Crappie. Didn't catch anything for the first couple of hours, not even a sniff and was fearing the skunk!:eek:

Then all of a sudden the fish turned on and I had some pretty good action with the majority of them being Crappie, but Spotted Bass, White Bass, and a few little saltwater Stripers thrown in. I ended up with 11 keeper Crappie (9"+) and threw back 5 short fish, also threw back 5 Spotted Bass and 3 little Stripers, and kept 2 nice White Bass all in about 2 hrs.

Water temp was 60*F. Fish were caught in 8-12' of water trolling a 1/16 oz. jig with a 2" curly tail grub @ 0.8-1.1 mph.

When I left they were still biting, but I wanted to get home to clean the keepers up for a fish fry.

On the cleaning board (bad cell phone pic).

P82A0010.jpg

Fish frying procedures started.

DSC02254.jpg

I like to fry my fish at 360*F

DSC02255.jpg

It makes them nice and brown and crispy!

DSC02256.jpg

The rewards!

DSC02257.jpg

Yeah, that's fried Crappie, tater salad, and baked beans!!! I made a pig of myself and gorged!!!

Looks delicious, jig. I just started fishing neely henry, putting in right on the other side of ohatchee dam. Catching tiny largemouth, or getting skunked for the most part. Reckon I don't know the river yet. Where-abouts are you fishing?

JeffChastain said:
Looks delicious, jig. I just started fishing neely henry, putting in right on the other side of ohatchee dam. Catching tiny largemouth, or getting skunked for the most part. Reckon I don't know the river yet. Where-abouts are you fishing?

Are you putting in below the dam or above the dam? I put in above the dam at 10 Islands park, do you know where that is?

I'll bet the fish you think are tiny largies are actually tiny Spotted Bass.

Shoot me a PM and let me know when you're going out next time and maybe we can meet up.

Nice report, and congrats on the catch.

I could eat that plate for breakfast.

I'm putting in either right above the dam at the little island park deal (Where the alabama power building is) or I'm putting in at Hart's Ferry.

I'll definitely send you a PM next time I'm out there. Hopefully it'll be sometime the next couple weekends.

It surely could be spots. I know Neely Henry is full of them. I'm fairly new to freshwater bassing.