Decking a boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tylertamburo

Reaction score
So I want to build a deck on my 14ft flat bottom Jon boat and I was wondering about how much would it cost. I want to have a deck on the front with compartments a rod locker running down the side of the boat and a deck in the back all covered in carpet. How much did some of y'all decks cost and what kind of materials did you use? I'm just trying to see roughly how much it would costs and maybe some tips before I do it. Thanks

Mine was probably right at $400 with aluminum, paint and labor to weld it in. You can view it on page 2 of my build.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=32289

So you think if I went with a wood deck it would be cheaper? But if I do that how much weight am I gonna gain on the boat?

Wood would be cheaper. As far as weight, I don't know. Depends on how stout and how big you build it. Mine weighs next to nothing. I personally have a thing against wood in a boat. Don't know why but just do.

You say a 14' but what width? Riveted, welded? You have pics of the boat?

I will have to update my build thread on here but I am building my decks now with 1" square aluminum tubing I got from scrap bin at work. The frame is very strong and lightweight and I'm gonna screw some exterior ply on top. Plywood is about $23 per sheet I'm gonna need 3 maybe 4 sheets for my deck but my boat is 16' x 5'. You expect to spend about 200-400

wood's cheaper initially, but keep in mind you pay it each time when you have to redo it every 5-10 years due to rot

if you do it with aluminum, you do it once and that's it, you're done, for the life of the boat

Latest posts