Deep cycle battery recommendation

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Optimas are no longer a great battery. They were bought out about 5 years ago and the quality has gone down hill bad. The go to Agm in off-road world is the Odyssey or sears platinum, which is made by Odyssey. They are great batteries.

I use these...also use the red version for my starting battery. Have ran the red one with my trolling motor on a car topper boat with great results
https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/661626-duration-agm-blue-marine-battery.html

agm is by far the way to go

Walmart sells group 27 EverStart deep cycle batteries for right around $70. Financially you are not that much worse off buying these. A high end AGM battery can cost you easily $300 or more but if you are using it for heavy trolling motor use you will still burn it in 4 or 5 years. A cheapo EverStart typically lasts me a year and a half, I crank with mine as well as heavy trolling motor use. So I spend $280 for the same amount of use that the $300-400 battery gets me.

People will tell you that WalMart batteries are great with the warranty but remember that they are pro-rated warranties. Every month you own the battery the warranty value goes down. For example, if your battery dies 11 months after you buy it, you will get like $7 towards another battery.

Costco sells Interstate Battery's at similar prices as Walmart ever-start battery's. I have had good luck with the ever-start battery's. I have one that was made in 2006 and it still holds a good charge. I think doing proper maintenance and having a good digital charger really makes all the difference with life on lead acid battery's. Id go with lead acid batteries over agm batteries simply because they can be serviced to an extent. Although AGM batteries tend to be lighter. Academy sports has excide vortex agm batteries on sale for $99. No experience but they are similar to optimas in design. Id go walmart everstart thats what im running in both boats and they are holding up awesome.

I run delcos. 29 for cranking and 2 27s for tm.

If I were running a 12v tm I'd pair it with a 29 series

Reliability and cheapest are an oxymoron.

I've had good luck with the FleetFarm brand ones, if you have "The Man's Mall" in your area. I bring them on week long camping-fishing trips and they last the whole time if you run on low. I think they were just on sale for about $70 with a core.

I wound up getting a "blemished" group 27 from interstate batteries.

Cost about $70 and I didn't have a core exchange.

The blemish consisted of not having labels as far as I can tell.

So far so good.

I use Farm and Fleet 27 deep cycles. I pay around $80 a piece. Have had a pair of them for 4 years now and no problems.

Latest posts