Difference in draft with flat bottom vs shallow Vee?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffrey

Reaction score
I realize that flat bottom boats will draft less, while shallow Vee bottoms will ride better in rough water. I am not interested in a deep Vee bottom boat.

But, how much difference are we talking about? If you had a 1652 flat bottom or shallow Vee like these Alwelds, how much difference in draft are we really talking about?

Then if you added flotation pods to the shallow Vee, how much would that affect the draft and the quality of the ride?

Flat Bottom Boats:
https://www.alweld.com/flat_bottom_econo_jons.html

Bee Bottom Boats:
https://www.alweld.com/vee_bottom_econo_jons.html

Draft:
Hardly any difference in the Horse power requirements.
If you want to go easily in shallow or terribly weedy water, the flat bottom is good.
For everything else that Shallow V is better.
Except, when you run that V up on the beach, and try to walk out of the boat fwd, the V will let the boat tip under you.
For us old guys, that's just plain deadly! :cry:

I called Alweld on the phone. Was told that the shallow Vee would draft about two inches deeper than the flat bottom. I would have thought that the difference might be a little more than that.

I'll bet somebody has a Matrix that would show how much Horse power difference between the Drafts.

Also, which bottom would carry more of a load in the water? :|
IE: 400 Lbs of Humanoid, gear, motor and etc in the V would certainly make it draw more water, which would necessitate more Horse Power.

The flat bottom would spread the footprint of the load over more surface. Drawing less water.

I wasn't really thinking about there being a horsepower difference. What is the reasoning here?

Reasoning:

It's about a choice between going fast or slow, and how much fuel or Horsepower you want to deal with.
I had two 12' Aluminum boats. One is a V the other was a flat bottomed Jon.
Somebody else has the Jon now. I wish I'd never gave it away.

I still have the V and row it (didn't want to fool with a Motor any longer)
I had the 9.5 Johnson on both. Also had my 6 Hp Johnson on both.

The 9.5 made both boats fly.
The difference there was obvious in windy or rough water conditions.
The V would operate quickly and safely in bad conditions, but the Jon would take a lot of water over the bow if I tried to push it too fast.

By my GPS the V was faster than the Jon with the same motor. The V got up on plane quicker too.
The Jon is still the safer boat for us old guys.

Can you comment from your personal experience how shallow you could go at slow speeds with either boat with a similar load?

You can go as shallow as the Prop will let you.

The Prop and Skeg is 12" below the Bottom of the boat, which is four inches below the water level.
So 16" would be safe.
If your rowing, you can go into 5"-6" without a problem.

Jet units will let you go in 6" of water if your flying.
But Grass and Lilly pads will choke up a Jet unit.
These are all my own experiences.

thudpucker said:
You can go as shallow as the Prop will let you.

The Prop and Skeg is 12" below the Bottom of the boat, which is four inches below the water level.
So 16" would be safe.
If your rowing, you can go into 5"-6" without a problem.

Jet units will let you go in 6" of water if your flying.
But Grass and Lilly pads will choke up a Jet unit.
These are all my own experiences.

If prop depth was not an issue, such as with a longtail mudmotor, then how would the depth of each boat compare?

thudpucker said:
I'm sure the flat bottom would be the 'in depth' winner there. As long as you don't hang up on Rocks....

There is no question that the flat bottom will draft less than the shallow Vee, but the question is by how much? Have you been able to notice?

Jeffrey said:
I called Alweld on the phone. Was told that the shallow Vee would draft about two inches deeper than the flat bottom. I would have thought that the difference might be a little more than that.

Unless I missed something, you answered your own question in the post I quoted.
If your boat draws 2" or 4", then that's the depth you can move in.
Let us in on why your asking these questions?
Moving in shallow water is fun, and exciting some times.
You don't say where your located, but in Florida etc you may get some visitors in your boat while monkeying around in the shallows.
Gators, Cat's, Big Anaconda and Boa's, and Moccasins.

thudpucker said:
Jeffrey said:

Unless I missed something, you answered your own question in the post I quoted.
If your boat draws 2" or 4", then that's the depth you can move in.
Let us in on why your asking these questions?
Moving in shallow water is fun, and exciting some times.
You don't say where your located, but in Florida etc you may get some visitors in your boat while monkeying around in the shallows.
Gators, Cat's, Big Anaconda and Boa's, and Moccasins.

That is true but I thought that since you had first hand experience with both types of hulls it wouldn't hurt anything to see what your observations were.

I liked them both. :LOL2:
For going to the beach, you build up a little speed and lift the motor as you get to the beach.
The V is better for that action, but the Jon did well too.

Are you planning on fishing in a very shallow place?

I liked the Jon because it was not tippy.
In the Jon you can stand up and fish from any corner. Not so with that V.

I like to row these days. I'd take a Jon over the V because I'm old and unsteady.
Young guys would like the V because it moves better. :lol:

I like fishing the saltwater bays along the mid Texas coast. The Vee is better for crossing the open bays and the flat bottom is better for the mud flats and marshes. The Vee is safer and more comfortable while on the open water and the flat bottom allows better access in the shallows once you get there.

thudpucker said:
Draft:
Hardly any difference in the Horse power requirements.
If you want to go easily in shallow or terribly weedy water, the flat bottom is good.
For everything else that Shallow V is better.
Except, when you run that V up on the beach, and try to walk out of the boat fwd, the V will let the boat tip under you.
For us old guys, that's just plain deadly! :cry:

I am not sure that we are using the word draft in the same way. What do you mean when you say draft?

Use the smallest, lightest outboard you can get by with.
Put the fuel can and battery up front, as you travel across the open water. Move them to the rear when you get to the Bay. Pull the motor up n' lock it.

Then pole around in your shallows from the stern of the boat.

What do you catch?
Fly fishing or bait casting?
Set up a short Trot line with 5-10 hooks on Snaps and see what you come up with. Some of the Flat Bottom fish are just plain juicy and delicious.
Send some photos of the area.

I've been in both types of boats. The 2" difference is right on and sometimes its not even that much of a difference.

But, I'd take the added benefits of the mod-v any day, even if it runs an inch or two deeper .... especially since you'll be on some big water.

With no prop in the water and proper weight distribution, both boats will take you into some seriously shallow water .... shallower than most fish will be in that's for sure .... I've had a 1648 mod-v in 6 inches of water without scrapping.

My 1448MV would drift water so shallow that I couldn't even run the trolling motor in it. And that's with a heavy 4 stroke, decked out, 3 batteries and 2 people.

The MV will ride a little better in choppy water than a flatbottom When I say a little better....I mean a little better. It's still going to be a rough ride overall. It's a lightweight, planing hull....it can't do but so well in chop and wakes. The bigger MV hull, the better the ride....mostly due to weight.

Thanks for the feedback!

Keep in mind that I was asking about a shallow Vee, which is different than a mod Vee. I suspect that the shallow Vee would require a bit more water than the mod Vee, but hopefully by not much.

Latest posts