Do you eat bass? *POLL*

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you ever eat the bass you catch

• yes i always eat em

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • no catch and release only

Votes: 28 48.3%
  • i only eat em sometimes

Votes: 22 37.9%

• Total voters
Dang, I thought I'd remembered answering this #-o I have eaten bass before (as a kid). When I "grew-up" (yeah, right :wink: )I used to be a "bass fisherman" & released them. I considered them a sport-fish, not a game fish. I'd have no problem eating one (as long as it wasn't over 4 pounds or so, it'd get released), just don't catch them much anymore. I mostly panfish & catfish....panfish & smaller cats for eaters, large cats go back to the water.

And, of course, as the Capt'n mentioned, I'm aware of the waters the eaters come from.

ST

i might eat fish once every two years or more.i checked my selection based on the wife and kids they love fish, i love fishing.

I am 100% catch and release in fresh water. I am busy and don't have the time to bother with cleaning fish and what not. Not to mention waters around me are pretty much all polluted. Another reason I catch and release is because waters in my areas are all highly pressured, and already have many fish removed yearly. I would have a hard time killing a 20" river smallie that is 15+ years old. With that being said I have no problems with others eating bass, as long as they are not keeping the breeders :x

I would much rather see someone eat a trophy fish rather than stuff a trophy fish though.

as the grocery store prices keep going up, the more fish i find in the freezer :mrgreen: . i mainly keep trout, but blackend bass is awsome if you cook'er rite

Loggerhead Mike said:
as the grocery store prices keep going up, the more fish i find in the freezer :mrgreen: . i mainly keep trout, but blackend bass is awsome if you cook'er rite

And just how do you cook them? I am considering going out for some White Bass if this weekends camping trip falls through and they would be a good candidate for that.

first i spray the heck outta the fish with spam ( i think thats what its called? its all the same though). spray the heck outta ur fryin pan. get'r good n hot. i lay some asian and blackend seasoning to the fish hefty, i like it alil spicy. and just keep sprayin the fish before you flip it and dont let'r burn. shouldnt take more than a minute or 2 on each side if you got a thick fillet. just rember to keep sprayin the fish down wile it cooks so it wont stick, and be carefull when you flip it because it will like to break apart. you'll never go to red lobster again :lol:

flounderhead59 said:
There was a guy that said he went Salmon fishing to have fertilizer for the garden. He used the whole fish and not just the guts and carcass as he doesn't eat Salmon.
Sounds like he needs to start bowfishing, or become friends with someone who does. All the carp he could want for fertilizer.

ShadowWalker said:
flounderhead59 said:
There was a guy that said he went Salmon fishing to have fertilizer for the garden. He used the whole fish and not just the guts and carcass as he doesn't eat Salmon.
Sounds like he needs to start bowfishing, or become friends with someone who does. All the carp he could want for fertilizer.
some people would consider a carp a sport fish and wouldnt agree with the sport of bowfishing

dedawg1149 said:
ShadowWalker said:
flounderhead59 said:
some people would consider a carp a sport fish and wouldnt agree with the sport of bowfishing

lol....and some consider them eaters :shock: :p

ST

I will eat the ones out of a friends pond. It is full of 2 lbrs and bream(football sized). He encourages catch and cook to help the population. Large area lakes have consumption warning so generally release large mouth. Will keep smaller striper, crappie and cats. Ill empty the livewell before leaveing if I only catch a couple and they are ok. 2 crappie arent worth cleaning.

i mostly fish for trout and kokes but i'm gonna catch some bass and see how they taste. our waters are really clean at most of our lakes here in Oregon.

minicuda said:
i mostly fish for trout and kokes but i'm gonna catch some bass and see how they taste. our waters are really clean at most of our lakes here in Oregon.

Bass (and any fish for that matter) will always taste much better if handled correctly after the catch.

1. After catching a keeper, immediately ice the fish completely, this means bury the fish in ice in a good cooler.

2. Keep the fish on ice at all times until you are ready to clean the fish;

3. Bass are pretty easy to fillet make sure you remove the skin as well for the best flavor;

4. Again, ice those fillets after placing them in a plastic bag;

5. Most important to a good fish feast - eat the fish as soon as you can, the fresher the fish the better it will taste!

Captain Ahab said:
minicuda said:

Bass (and any fish for that matter) will always taste much better if handled correctly after the catch.

1. After catching a keeper, immediately ice the fish completely, this means bury the fish in ice in a good cooler.

3. Bass are pretty easy to fillet make sure you remove the skin as well for the best flavor;

5. Most important to a good fish feast - eat the fish as soon as you can, the fresher the fish the better it will taste!

And if I might add one thing, Bleed your catch as soon as possible before putting it in your cooler.

flounderhead59 said:
Captain Ahab said:
minicuda said:

And if I might add one thing, Bleed your catch as soon as possible before putting it in your cooler.

All good advise, but you would do this instead of keeping it alive in a live well? Or do you mean immediately after you take it out of the live well, but before cleaning? When I'm somewhere that allows, I fillet the fish straight from the livewell - they are all still jumping around and many times they'll actually swim a little after filleting (if I do a good job). I always slice off the skin also :)

FishingCop said:
All good advise, but you would do this instead of keeping it alive in a live well? Or do you mean immediately after you take it out of the live well, but before cleaning? When I'm somewhere that allows, I fillet the fish straight from the livewell - they are all still jumping around and many times they'll actually swim a little after filleting (if I do a good job). I always slice off the skin also :)

If the temperature is over 80* I woudl recommend not using the live well but putting the eating fish right on ice. Stressed fish will start to release acids and such into the meat as well as attempt to regurgitate the contents of their stomachs. If you get the body temp of the fish down to the 35* range you will really slow down all the bad stuff and end up with a much cleaner and sweeter tasting fillet.

You might also try bleeding the fish while it is still alive, especially the larger fish.

FishingCop,

As to when I bleed it depends on a couple factors. When fishing Lake Michigan for Salmon, any fish that goes in the livewell gets it throat cut. Perch get to stay alive until I decide to head in to the ramp. If I have more than 5 Perch, I'll bleed them and then throw them on ice. If I only have 1 or 2 and they are still alive, I'll throw them back. Big problem with the Perches though is that they are cooming up from 50-70 feet down and unless you fizz them, they'll die in the livewell anyhow. Fishing the Fox chain for Walleye/Crappie is another thing. If I get enough for a meal, I bleed them and ice them. If I have just one keeper Walleye when I get to the ramp, he'll most likely go free. There are no fish cleaning staions on the Chain and you can't do it on the boat because you can't throw the remains in the water in Illinois and the fish have to be whole when you get to the ramp (if subject to lenght limits).

Latest posts