Early 80s 40EL Mariner power tilt/trim

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nelsonag

Reaction score
Hello there, curious if anyone has any advice on putting tilt/trim on an early 80s Mariner 40EL. Model number begins with 6E9. It’s a great motor. I’m completely refurbing the boat and would like to put tilt/trim if I can. Not even sure what part number to look for. Any advice helps! IMG_4116.png

Its a Yamaha made Mariner....the 6E9 started in 1981 and went to 92, need the other numbers to narrow it down. Probably not much difference in those years other then the cowl, not 100% on that statement though. Yamaha parts will fit it, up here thats the only place I can sort them, although Ive only ever needed an impellor kit...30hp
Might be worth looking into some type of aftermarket JP tilt and trim, probably not much more price , less hassle and can remove it to another boat/ motor if you go that route someday.
Looking at the cowl, guessing a 86...going from internet picture.

Last edited:
I too think your best option is to go aftermarket, CMC or Panther Marine, where nowadays I believe Panther has the better reputation ‘for reliability’. It’s too bad, as years ago I had a CMC T/T on a FAST fly fishing rig I had outfitted and it was fantastic!

The setback also allows you to raise the motor 1” or more and you will gain speed and fuel efficiency!

I too think your best option is to go aftermarket, CMC or Panther Marine, where nowadays I believe Panther has the better reputation ‘for reliability’. It’s too bad, as years ago I had a CMC T/T on a FAST fly fishing rig I had outfitted and it was fantastic!

The setback also allows you to raise the motor 1” or more and you will gain speed and fuel efficiency!
Hey thanks for the input. Yeahhhhhh I’m realizing I should just go aftermarket. I was trying to go original and avoid the price of the aftermarket t/t but truthfully it’s just as expensive bc of the scarcity of parts. And it’s way less hassle. Thanks for the input.

I have the same motor and the lack of tilt drives me crazy. We do a lot of beach launches in Baja and lack of tilt makes it more of a hassle at low tide.

I probably will invest in an adjustable jack plate. The electric ones are expensive but as others mentioned you can use it on your next motor. I will get a jack plate that can handle a 50hp 4-stroke.

An alternative is to rig an electric actuator. There are some youtube videos you can find where folks demonstrate how they added a linear actuator for about $100. I am looking into that too, but want to find an actuator that can handle saltwater for long periods.

I have the same motor and the lack of tilt drives me crazy. We do a lot of beach launches in Baja and lack of tilt makes it more of a hassle at low tide.

I probably will invest in an adjustable jack plate. The electric ones are expensive but as others mentioned you can use it on your next motor. I will get a jack plate that can handle a 50hp 4-stroke.

An alternative is to rig an electric actuator. There are some youtube videos you can find where folks demonstrate how they added a linear actuator for about $100. I am looking into that too, but want to find an actuator that can handle saltwater for long periods.
So I actually did purchase two linear actuators about a year ago because I was planning to do the same thing with a different motor, but that is as far as I got. Original plan was to put 2 actuators on a set of plates similar to the CMC. I wasn’t sure if just one would be strong enough to actually lift the tilt during forward motion. Ultimately just bailed bc I was worried about cost adding up and longevity.

Actuators are at least $40 each for cheapos, much more for waterproof versions. the cost for aluminum to rig up wouldn’t be super cheap either, plus the time to construct something. I had a thought to shrink wrap the electrical then cover it with silicon, but I don’t want to have to constantly worry about it shorting out one day on the water, and for the time it would take to construct I could just paint someone’s fence or something and just buy the nice aftermarket haha

I’m a tinkerer at heart so this is a sad realization sometimes it is just better to buy than to build. Drat.