electronics for dummies

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

23mako

Reaction score
First off I would like to say, I love this website. I'm relatively young (22) but have had aluminum boats for years. Until recently I have not had any cash to put any extras on my boats. Now that I have some across a little bit I want to add some electronics to some of my boats. My question is, where can I get a real basic overview of how to install electronics on boats? My knowledge of this subject is literally zero. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.bcae1.com/
this is a website that lots of people use when installing aftermarket audio such as hi power amps, speakers, subs, etc., in automobiles. Boats are 12v as are cars as they depend on the battery for the electricity. this should point you in the right direction as it explains car electronics in pretty simple terms, not always but helps. Boats are alot more simple in that there are no seat belt sensors, engine sensors, airbags, all the electronic monitoring stuff everyone has to have. To install electronics in a boat, navigation lights and depth finder/fish finder, is fairly simple. You need to install a fuse on the main power wire (the post with a +) close to the battery so if something goes wrong, the fuse will blow and cut the power to whatever is causing a problem. Run a sufficient size power wire to maybe a fuse block/distribution block, and a ground wire as well from this fuse block to the battery. This could be where you would connect all of your electronics wires to rather than running the wires for the lights straight to the battery. Connecting lights directrly to the batt means they would be hot all the time and on all the time if the light pole, you would need to install a switch in most cases for lights. Red is normally for the hot or positive side, black is for ground (-) post. then you run the wiring from your electronics (lights/ff) both + & - wires to the fuse block. make sure you keep the + & - wires connected to the correct side (+ to + and - to -) or you'll burn it up. Post up what type of boat, where the battery is located/installed and what you want to install. the guys here will help with ideas and links on how to do what you want done.

Latest posts