Fairly new member.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well its a little warmer today so I am hoping to get some work done on the boat. Plan on attaching the deck framing to the side of the boat today so that I can hopefully get it secured and remove the middle bench. This will all depend on whether or not I can get my hands on a drill. Mine is locked up at a friends house where I was helping him remove and reinstall new stringers and a transom on a 14.5 fiberglass boat. His new work schedule is killing me when it comes to getting my tools picked up from over there. Anyways.... Back to work for another 3 hours then I will be hard at it. Will take photos as I go along. Ive been slacking on the photo taking during the build so I am gonna try to get a little better on that.

Got the front of the middle bench cut out today and fitted the frame for the deck. The closer it gets the more I like the way it looks. As soon as I get my drill I can tie it all together and fit the ply on.

Attachments

• IMAG0396.jpg
    IMAG0396.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 382
  • IMAG0397.jpg
    IMAG0397.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 382
  • IMAG0400.jpg
    IMAG0400.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 382
  • IMAG0402.jpg
    IMAG0402.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 382
Well I had planned on finishing the frame and putting the plywood down yesterday but the winds again just werent cooperating and i lost an hour of time spent going to walmart to buy a new 16" bicycle tire and tube for my 5 year old. dang kids. lol. I did however make my plywood purchase yesterday. After digging around was able to find 5/8 CDX for 19 a sheet at a lumber yard less than 3 blocks from my house. Lived in this area for 20 years and completely forgot the place was there til my brother in law reminded me about them. I plan on sealing the entire frame and deck and having it ready to use by Saturday. Weather is supposed to be decent so im going to try and fish that morning. I wont be cutting the hatch lids out until after this trip. Want to get a feel for the layout of the front deck before i cut them out.

This is pretty much the final deck layout. It will be carpeted and tweaked here and there.

Attachments

• IMAG0412.jpg
    IMAG0412.jpg
    923.9 KB · Views: 362
  • IMAG0413.jpg
    IMAG0413.jpg
    915.4 KB · Views: 362
  • IMAG0415.jpg
    IMAG0415.jpg
    918.1 KB · Views: 362
  • IMAG0416.jpg
    IMAG0416.jpg
    932.2 KB · Views: 362
  • IMAG0417.jpg
    IMAG0417.jpg
    859.8 KB · Views: 362
  • IMAG0410.jpg
    IMAG0410.jpg
    630.1 KB · Views: 362
Tested the new deck on the water this weekend. Saturday myself and two other guys all went out for 5 hours on the boat. Even with all 3 of us standing up fishing the tipping and rocking was minimal. No one went swimming!!!!. 8mph with the 3 of us on board and a little chop from the wind that day. Not too bad. I was expecting worse with that much added weight. We didnt catch anything except for a decent buzz. Took the boat out again sunday with just one other person. Didnt break any speed records and i didnt track it but the boat did plane off with the two of us on there a few times. Wind really picked up later in the day and we fought a 2 1/2 ft quartering swell ON A LAKE!!!!. It was pretty rediculous. Needless to say we had to take it easy on the way back in to keep from getting soaked by the spray. That and i had my 17month old daughter on the boat with us and she didnt want to get wet either haha. Anxious to get on the water by myself with it and see how it planes then. Should do fairly well.

So. I know that what I am about to say is gonna open a completely new can of worms and also open the door for everyone to call me stupid crazy foolish or whatever else comes to mind but here goes. Ive taken the boat out a few times and have a good idea how it sits in the water and know that I am not gonna get much more out of the 7.5hp Rude I have. SO.... Ive decided to get the 25hp Seahorse running and put it on. Ive tested the weight displacement multiple times to see how deep the stern will sit with the larger motor and It has PLENTY of room for more weight in the rear. Now im not going to be using this motor as a go fast try to hurt myself breaking a speed record type of thing. The 7.5 just isnt strong enough to move the boat the way I would like to and with the few more things i want to add to the boat i would really be straining that little motor. Its old and it was my grandfathers for many many years so I would rather not overwork it. It has sentimental value seeing that he died 8 years ago and this and a 1930's Savage 300 hunting rifle are the only material things i have from him.

Now.... The 25 horse does not have the tiller handle but i plan to make one. first reason is the cost of the parts. I am on a very limited budget so i will be making the tiller handle out of some steel pipe i have in the yard. 2 the design of the new handle i am making will prevent me from reaching wide open throttle. this will help to keep from overpowering the boat. I plan on using bicycle brake cable and handle attached to the pipe and when you squeeze the handle it opens up the throttle. I am going to be attaching a clutch return spring to the throttle linkage that will automatically pull the throttle back to idle if you release the handle. Ive looked at this setup a few times and the max potential throttle i will get is just a hair over half throttle. more than enought to plane the boat off and move me along with ease. No need to go any more than that on this particular motor on a 12ft boat.

Been a while since I posted any updates but here is what's been done recently. Rear deck is finished except for cutting g the hatches, I can still store stuff underneath it because I left a hatch cut out directly in front of the motor to make room for the clamp and its big enough to store a few tools and such until I get the other hatches cut and hinged. I've almost completed my homemade trim tabs. I'll post pics of everything. I changed the design on the downrod for the tabs so they will pivot back and forth as they need to when you adjust them up and down. I also came across a trolling motor for free. It had been sitting at a friends house for years outside in the weather and they couldn't get it to work last weekend so he told me if I could get it working I could have it. It's the Minn kota endura 30lb transom mount. Not the C2 but a nice motor. Hooked it up to the battery in my truck and it did nothing. Took it apart checked voltage at the twist switch everything looked good. Had it set on reverse and went to spin the prop forward and I could feel the magnets catch and try to spin it back but just wouldn't go. Smack the shaft lightly with a wrench then hit the prop with my hand to spin it and tada it came alive. Took the lower unit apart and light sanded and brushed all the rust off everything and saw one brush that was broken so I replaced it with one from the starter off my old 25 horse that's not running and put it all back together. Runs like new. Took some pics of the bow mount I made up and installed for it. I will post the pics here shortly. The mount up front looks to be about perfect for when standing on the deck and needing to move along a canal or weedline of the shoreline. Just reach down lock the shaft so it cant turn either direction once you get it pointed in the direction you wanna go and turn it on low and slowly move along. Also should help me get into my secret spot that you cant power thru with a gasoline engine. Used to stop pull the motor up and paddle into the hidden canal. Once in the canal you can actually use the outboard all the way down. The entrance is hidden and really skinny when you get up to it. If you dont know its there you would never see it. 2 out of the 3 fish ive caught in the boat total since owning it have come from this little hidden canal.

Pics.

Attachments

• IMAG0438.jpg
    IMAG0438.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 332
  • IMAG0437.jpg
    IMAG0437.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 332
  • IMAG0435.jpg
    IMAG0435.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 332
  • IMAG0432.jpg
    IMAG0432.jpg
  • IMAG0433.jpg
    IMAG0433.jpg
  • IMAG0434.jpg
    IMAG0434.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 332
Been a while since i posted but here is the latest update. I have stained and sealed the deck. I like the look of the stain compared to carpet. I still plan on adding carpet later on down the road but for now I like the stain. All the hatches have been cut and hinged except for the splashwell hatch which i just left loose and stick it in place once on the water. Yesterday I installed a radio under the rear hatch on the front deck. Have a small antenna on the right rear corner cap and 2 6x9" speakers mounted one in front one in the rear. Its a lot louder than i expected it to be. Guess I should also list some things I picked up recently. I got a free trolling motor its the Minn Kota Endura 30lb transom mount. Not the C2 but still decent. Neighbor had it laying in the yard for 4 years or so and they tried to use it on a canoe a couple weeks ago and it wouldnt run. Told me if I could get it working I could have it. Picked it up the next day, walked back to the house with it and had it running 5 mins later. Took it apart to see why it hadnt worked. Turns out it had been dropped overboard and they never got the water out of the lower unit so it was rusted almost solid. Cleaned it all up and put it back together and I have used it 5 or 6 trips now with no problems. I recently sold my wifes old van and was given half of what it sold for, wife got the other half. I picked up a deep cycle Group 27 Marine Battery and a 1.5-10APH Solar charge cell for $144 after taxes and new battery fee. Battery does great. I went out this past saturday on Johns Lake in Oakland, FL and spent 9.5 hours on the water with the trolling motor running the whole time fighting the wind. Didnt feel like it lost even the tinyest bit of power the whole time. Took it out again the next day for 3 hours without charging it other than the solar charger being hooked up during the trips and it still kept kicking along. So having the battery is what tempted me into installing the radio. It is not a marine radio which is why it is installed under the hatch on the front deck. I just lift it up a little and turn it up or down or change station then set the hatch back down. Both boat and trailer are legally registered. Boat has a brand new title. Previous owner never titled or registered it. Took a letter to the tag office stating they owned it 13 years and never tagged or registered it and that it was only ever used on private lakes, signed by the previous owner. Tag office made a new title for the boat and gave me a new HIN for it. Guy at work has a set of number and letter punches so I took a small piece of semi trailer side paneling and punched the HIN into it and have riveted it to the boat where you would REALLY have to search for it but I can get to it in seconds to show its my boat. They gave me a homemade registration for the trailer and transfered the tag off my old motorcycle that I sold last year to the trailer. I can tell you from experience, when you pull a boat down the road or get on the water and know that your vehicles are all legal it takes a huge amount of stress off of you. spent the last 3 months pulling the boat with no trailer tag and getting on the water with no registration for the boat. I only ever pulled the boat 5 miles at the most but I constantly worried they would pull me over if they saw no tag on the trailer. I have yet to get out and have a good day for fishing. Either way its a good day if I get out on the water but I havent had that great day where you consistently put fish on the boat. But I have only had a decent battery for the trolling motor for the trips this past weekend and the battery i used before was the auto battery from the van before it sold and wouldnt only last an hour and a half or so before it died. HUGE difference with the deep cycle. I will get pics when I can. Cameras seem to all be temperamental at the moment. both my camera on my phone and my stand alone Nikon SLR are being very rude at the moment lol.

So I had been doing some searching around through google and this forum and others about polishing the hull on an aluminum boat. I found only One positive post about polishing aluminum hulls in order to reduce drag and all the others were negative comments and such. So I bit the bullet so to say and broke out my palm sander and some 180 grit sand paper and started to very carefully sand the outside of the hull down to bare aluminum. Now i didnt have any paint to sand through other than the rubber bed liner over spray from where i repaired a crack in the nose but I had a lot of oxidation. I only sanded the right side down and then used some Maguires All Metal Motorcycle polish that I had left over from my old bike. polished up where I had sanded and wiped it down. Monday afternoon I took the boat to work with me and put in right after I got off. Now with all the added weight from the deck and the new marine battery which weighs twice as much as the old auto battery I was using I could only get 8.95 mph all day saturday when I went out. Same weather conditions. Hot with very little breeze out of the SE. Monday however when I was headed up the canal I started to lean to one side or the other to see if I could feel a difference. I would get up on a plane then lean to the left (unsanded/unpolished) side and immediately could feel the boat slow down and you could hear the motor rpms drop off. I would then lean back to the right (partially sanded/polished) side and the boat would immediately get back up on a plane and move along. So I pulled out my phone and turned the tracker on and bam there it was. Moving along with the boat leveled or leaning to the right side it was at 10.18mph. Lean to the left side it dropped off to 7.8-8.3mph. Now I also noticed that the boat would plane off in a matter of feet when i took off. Before I would open the throttle wide open and it would take a good 300ft before the boat would come over the edge and plane off. I also noticed that I could get up on a plane by turning the boat hard left, gunning the throttle then kicking back hard right. Same way you would plane on your own wake with a bigger motor when sitting in skinny water. Now it would only do this when starting turning left the coming back right. When I tried to do it the opposite way it wouldnt do it. I think the reason why is because when i kicked back hard right the boat would lean over onto the polished side of the boat and just glide thru the water easier. Now the negative comments I kept seeing stated this wouldnt work because when you reduce the drag so much the air bubbles dont get under the boat as much helping to create lift. Well heres where i find the statement not correct. Wax or polish is designed to repel water. Correct? Ok. But on a aquatic application the wax will actuall create drag when the air bubbles slide along the bottom. the water will flow right off it but an air bubble mixed in with that water as it slides along will not slide as freely as the water. And since you have not changed the design of the front of the boat you are still getting the same amount of air bubbles under your boat with the same amount of lift on the hull and they are staying under the boat for the same amount of time. You really have only reduced the friction of the water dragging accross the bottom of the boat. Therefore less friction, same amount of lift created by air bubbles and same hull design and motor will create for a faster boat. I know most of the members on the forum are gonna see this and say well obviously but I searched for two days for the pros and cons of polishing an aluminum hull for performance and almost everything I came accross was negative. I did it because either way my 7.5hp is coming off and the 25hp is going on so with the extra power on the little boat performance wouldnt be an issue and if anything the boat would look newer and nicer. But the difference was immediately a positive one and I still have only sanded and polished a portion of one side of the bboat.

Sorry I havent been on much to update anyone. Boat is doing great. Been using it quite a bit here as of late. The stained deck is working out very nicely. Its not as hot on the feet as I had originally thought it would be. This past weekend I Built myself a jack plate and hung the 25hp Johnson on it and took it out for a test spin. Boat handled it very well. But the engine has some fuel delivery issues that I need to resolve. I believe its just a bad Vacuum/Pressure line to the pump causing the problem. Top speed this weekend at about 60% throttle was 20.69mph on GPS. Very fun and surprisingly stable. The Antiventilation plate still sits about 1.5 -2" too low but all in all it did great. Hopefully I will have the few kinks worked out soon. Will update again as progress is made.

Latest posts