Filling holes in the hull

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I ordered the Marine 2 part epoxy this morning. It says this stuff can be used below the water line. I'm confident it will work, any hole below the water line will also be covered in steelflex on both sides.

I found the stuff online here:

https://store.creative-wholesale.com/Home/tabid/201/Default.aspx

bobberboy said:
Troutman3000 said:
bobberboy said:
Have you seen this stuff online at all?

Here is their home page. The stuff I used was called "SuperWeld" but I noticed they also have a marine variety.

https://www.biosafe-inc.com/epoxies.htm

If you can't find it I can always mail some to you...

Im going to look around here locally and see what I can track down. I plan on resealing my tracker this winter and I know I have to rebuck the rivets but I think adding this to the outside would really solidify the seal. I also plan on giving gluv it a try from the inside. The rivets shouldnt flex that much then. heck I may get Bassboy to just replace all the old rivets but I am unsure right now.

https://store.creative-wholesale.com/Home/tabid/118/CategoryID/283/List/1/Level/1/ProductID/1234/Default.aspx?SortField=Free3+DESC,ProductName

Well I applied the marine epoxy tonight using Bobberboy's method. I'm very happy with the results!! within an hour the epoxy was hard to the touch. Plan on filling the last couple holes tomorrow. I'm looking forward to filling the boat full of water to check for leaks.

moberg12 said:
Well I applied the marine epoxy tonight using Bobberboy's method. I'm very happy with the results!! within an hour the epoxy was hard to the touch. Plan on filling the last couple holes tomorrow. I'm looking forward to filling the boat full of water to check for leaks.

Glad to hear your progress.
Be careful not to add too much water, I hear that will stress the hull.

jasper60103 said:
moberg12 said:

Thanks for the heads up. The leak test went well and I strapped the boat to the trailer to secure it. Only one small leak in the old seam sealer, nothing steelflex won't fix. The marine epoxy was water tight!!

moberg12 said:
jasper60103 said:
moberg12 said:

Thanks for the heads up. The leak test went well and I strapped the boat to the trailer to secure it. Only one small leak in the old seam sealer, nothing steelflex won't fix. The marine epoxy was water tight!!

Lets see some pictures. How much stress do you think the epoxy can take. If you were to put it over rebucked rivets do you think it would break free in rough chop?

003-1.jpg

Holes were all filled!! At this stage the epoxy is rock hard, I couldn't chip it away by hand.

002-5.jpg

Sanded smooth, I don't see this breaking free in any circumstance especially after being covered in paint or steelflex. I don't think you would have a problem covering rivets!! I filled some spots on the keel where the old seam sealer looked iffy and I doubt I'll ever have to deal with leaks there again. I was worried most about the holes low in the transom that will be below the water line. I didn't take any pics of those but I got the water level in the boat about an inch above the lowest holes and they didn't leak a drop. That was probably only and hour after the epoxy was applied.

001-4.jpg

One small leak after filling all the holes. After I drained the water and let it dry out I filled the leak with the epoxy. Steelflex goes on next!!

Latest posts