First bait of 09

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr.fish

Reaction score
The weekend was fast approaching, so I made a last minute decision friday morning to prebait a spot on the river to try some early season carp fishing. Unfortuately I wasn't expecting the skies to open up and dump alot of rain later that day. I headed out directly after work to get an early jump on my spot. Just as the last set of storms where moving through, I came across one of the brightest rainbows I had ever seen. I felt like I could have reached out my window and grabbed it. Pretty cool.
Picture1690.jpg

When I got down to my spot, I wasn't a bit suprised to see the river very swollen, and rising before my eyes. I set up my bite alarms, chummed some more, and set up for a long night. Bait of choice were hair rigged fish boilies, with small particle bags for a bait pile. I was very suprised with almost an immediate hookup. First successful carp bait and catch of 09. The next hour or so, I couldn't keep the eels of my hook. My line was constantly moving and being pulled by these bastards which was just killing the bait bag effect. After about an hour of that I hook up again with another small carp. By 8, the winds had picked up and the temps began to drop, which just happened to shut of any bite. I put in another hour or so, to finally get my last and final fish which happened to be a very healthy 15lb channel cat. A new PB for me also by about 8 ounces. It amazes me what a boilie will catch sometimes.
14lb
Picture1686.jpg

15lb
Picture1687.jpg

hengstthomas said:
Nice fish Mike ;) Whats a boilie ?

This is a boilie. They are made in just about every flavor you can think of. Used with a hair rig, by the time the carp sucks it up, they're already hooked.

Picture965.jpg

Nice cat!!!

Do you eat carp? I've heard of people eating them but never actualy knew anyone who has. The cajuns I live around will eat anything that doesn't eat them first and most of them will not eat a carp, but they will eat Gar all day long (I don't understand). I was wondering what carp would taste like with them being mostly a vegetarian.

Specknreds said:
Nice cat!!!

Do you eat carp? I've heard of people eating them but never actualy knew anyone who has. The cajuns I live around will eat anything that doesn't eat them first and most of them will not eat a carp, but they will eat Gar all day long (I don't understand). I was wondering what carp would taste like with them being mostly a vegetarian.
Vegetarian ?? Not all of them . They will take whatever they can get including .. Crustaceans , worms and small baitfish .

Specknreds said:
Nice cat!!!

I wouldn't eat anything thats not coming out of salt water, especially a carp. I have heard they can be a real delicasy though.

Latest posts