Fixing My Hull Issues

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOOTHboar

Reaction score
So this weekend I plan on tackling the bottom of my hull. I have sevral holes in the boat that I plan on welding. I also have a number if leaky rivets and seams in the boat. Further more there are sevral places where the bottom of the baot has been scarred by rocks and such. How should I tackle all of these issues?

I have read about the steel flex stuff. But I am not too sure that will fix my issues. Thank you in advance for your help.

Ok maybe I wasn't clear in asking for help.

For fixing leaking rivets... What is the best product to use?

For fixing the rock scars on the bottom of the hull (some gouges are half the thickness of the aluminum)... What is the best product to use?

Bottom of my boat that shows the most damaged area of the boat.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366808028.684293.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366808028.684293.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 708
For fixing leaking rivets... What is the best product to use?

You'll need some help with the way I did mine. Two hammers or one and something else flat that you can get on the inside of the boat and onto the rivet. Take one hammer (Or the something else) and place it on one side of the rivet/boat, hold it tight against the rivet, 2nd person, take the hammer and hit the other side of the rivet, this will flatten out the rivet and tighten it. Check for leaks. If still leaking, repeat or if rivet is still to loose, replace it with a solid rivet (or you could get some Aluminum or stainless bolts/nuts/washers and use those along with some type of sealant, 5200). There are alot of ways to fix this if the above doesn't work, welding, JB Weld, 5200...if you can tighten them or replace them, that would be your best bet IMO. The other question, Weld, JB Weld, 5200? Again, just my Opinion, I have never had to fix a gouge or crack in a hull only tightened the rivets.

Leaky rivets should be replaced with closed end blind pop rivets with a dab of 3M 5500 on them. Its inexpensive, easy to do, and very effective.

Leaky seems are tough. Usually, leaky rivets lead to leaky seems .... so replacing rivets might tighten up your seems. If not, you can always weld the seem for a permanent fix. Or, try sealing it with Gluv-it, SteelFlex, 5500, JB Weld etc etc

Holes should be patched/welded closed.

The deep scuffs on the bottom are just part of the game. The only real thing you can do is weld new aluminum plate to the bottom, which can be almost as expensive as getting a new boat. Just leave the scuffs alone unless the hull is dangerously thin .... in which case you should scrap the boat and get a new one.

You could grind/drill the head off of one of the old rivets that you are going to replace to find the hole size. Most seem to be 3/16" diameter, but there are exceptions.

I like to use a rivet that is just slightly larger than the original hole .... that way I can drill out the hole to make sure its perfectly round. Removing old rivets can sometimes warp the original hole.

To put in the bigger pop rivets, you'll want to get a two handled rivet gun .... its a LOT easier than using the basic little gun.

Latest posts