Fuel water separtor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zum

Reaction score
All gas stations around here now say may contain 10% ethanol.
Im still using an old 2 stroke but think Ill buy a fuel water separtor(filter).
Anyone using the cheaper Amazon ones?

I know this doesn't answer your question, but if I have the money, I'd be looking up what filter the manufacturer currently recommends or at least look up what filter a Tahatsu or other 2 stroke producer uses.

I would be more concerned about where you buy your fuel from !! That E fuel would be sitting a long time to create enough water to get trapped in a seperator. Try out your local station by filling a 5 gal can then pour some in a clear glass container and let it set. If any water in there try another station. I am lucky enough to have a farmer owned local fuel station that is well maintained, filters changed often and they even shut down when the tanker fills the underground tanks for at least an hour after filling !! They test their own fuel frequently...best part is they are cheaper than others in the area. Lucky for me they are way off the beaten path so mostly just locals that buy there along with a big farm trade. What ever you decide, be sure to have a good inline filter to keep crud out of the carbs.

Here’s what I run. You can get them in different filtration ranges depending on the required fuel flow. This 2 micron is Ok for small outboard. I run the 10 micron version on my older 115 Evinrude two stroke. Replacement filters are about $32 the last time that I checked.

These are super easy to replace.

IMG_4630.png

Here’s what I run. You can get them in different filtration ranges depending on the required fuel flow. This 2 micron is Ok for small outboard. I run the 10 micron version on my older 115 Evinrude two stroke. Replacement filters are about $32 the last time that I checked.

These are super easy to replace.

View attachment 119656

Do you actually see any water collected in the bottom of the pot? Just curious.

I've had cheap and expensive ones. I often used the Fram PH2, PH3 and PH4 inline filters. Those are about $3.99 and work great, but must be changed yearly.

I've never gotten any water in the bottom of my Racor, (or knock-off) but a friend had a lot of water in his almost every time he went out.

It turned out, his fill cap O-ring was missing, and water went into his tank every time it rained or got splashed, so the separator was worth it's weight in gold until I figured it out for him.

Try to use your fuel regularly. It will separate in humid environments if not sealed carefully, as the Ethanol is hydroscopic. It pulls water from the air.

There is a YouTube video to demonstrate. A mason jar is half filled with fresh E10 and is set in front of a fan on a hot summer day. After a while they go back to the jar, and it has a layer of water on the bottom. It pulled it right out of the air. So storing in airtight containers and using Stabil or Startron ethanol blends is very helpful.

Our G3 came with a 10 micron water separating filter. We had water issues on our 1st outing last fall: Read Here

Either accumulation from bad local gas or condensation from the summer with a half empty tank. When I dumped the contents of the filter, we were able to get back in action.

I have a Sierra one to add to the pontoon boat, this spring.

Do you actually see any water collected in the bottom of the pot? Just curious.
If there is enough, yes. You need to let it set undisturbed for a while to make it easier. Years back, my engine quit, crank and crank but no fire. Pulled off the fuel separator and tried sniffing for gas but odor was weak. Had a small metal can on board so we poured some in it and tried to light it....would not light at all, new then I had a water issue !! Not a recommended practice to test it though !!

I thought I may have had a water problem last summer so I changed out the Raycor filter and drained the 26 gallon tank. No water but, the kid got a free tank of premium non-ethonol gas for his truck out of the deal. The gas was getting old anyway. Hardly used the big outboard when fishing with my 96 yr old father in law because it hurts when we go fast.

I thought I may have had a water problem last summer so I changed out the Raycor filter and drained the 26 gallon tank. No water but, the kid got a free tank of premium non-ethonol gas for his truck out of the deal. The gas was getting old anyway. Hardly used the big outboard when fishing with my 96 yr old father in law because it hurts when we go fast.

Still fishing at 96! Way to go! :)

I run a 94 Mercury 60/45 2 stroke jet and went with the small Yamaha separator a few years ago. I changed filters at the beginning of last season but saw no sign of any water from the filter contents I poured into a jar.

Yamaha_water_sep.jpg

I have found that the pontoon boat is the best way to take those with challenged mobility out fishing. Makes is easy and comfortable, and it can go pretty much anywhere a bass boat or jon boat can go.