Fuse Size Help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ober51

Reaction score
After I installed the new batteries in my boat, I went ahead to tackle the non-working bilge pump and aerator switches. I pulled out the fuse panel and quickly noticed that there were two missing fuses. I ran and got a fuse I had laying around and started playing around.

In short, I could use some help with the size of the fuses I need for my electrical panel since I checked my boat manual and it said nothing but to use the right size. Why are some upside down and missing? Should they all be different sizes? The top right 25 amp was put in by me just to test to see if the aerator worked, and it does. I put that also in the missing two spots you see in the picture but the bilge pump did not work. I am hopeful it is because the fuse size is wrong and not because I need to rework the bilge pump circuit and/or get another bilge pump.

Any suggestions? What is the size needed - generally - for this type of panel? Thanks!
-----
Edit to add: It looks like the Rule bilge pumps draw like 1.5-3 amps. I think the type I have draw 2.5, so I would put in a 3, correct? A size just above the amp draw? I guess the problem is figuring out which fuse spot is which. What accessory could require a 20 amp fuse? The top left is the vhf/cd player and that's 5, apparently.

Attachments

• fuse panel.jpg
    fuse panel.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 506
ETA:

I seem to have gotten the bilge pump to work. I just went into the bilge area, made sure all the connections were tight and now it works via the dash switch.

The only electrical component that does not work is the accessory plug for some reason. I swapped out the plug for a new one, but still nothing. I don't want to rip apart the dash for that so that will wait until the season is over. For now, I need to paint the transom witha few coats of Pettit EasyPoxy and away we go.

Can't help you on why some are missing,other then maybe theres nothing connected to it.
Don't worry if there upside down/backwards or not...doesn't matter.
Should take that 25amp out if it's for your bilge or anything else thats not rated for that...your wire going to the device may melt before the fuse lets go.
That 20amp may be for the accessory plug,some of them maybe rated for that or does your stero have an amp?
What do you have for accessoires,may help with knowing what goes to what.

Zum said:
Can't help you on why some are missing,other then maybe theres nothing connected to it.
Don't worry if there upside down/backwards or not...doesn't matter.
Should take that 25amp out if it's for your bilge or anything else thats not rated for that...your wire going to the device may melt before the fuse lets go.
That 20amp may be for the accessory plug,some of them maybe rated for that or does your stero have an amp?
What do you have for accessoires,may help with knowing what goes to what.

I can't remember what accessory is in which slot, and my little notebook paper is outside in the boat...in the rain. There is nothing extravegant - FF, radio, bilge, aerator, etc. I wound up putting 5 amp fuses in all of the empty ones. Everything works as of now other than the accessory plug. I might just get that done in the winter, and add another FF at the bow in the process. For now, I need to fish once I can get the transom painted. Tomorrow very early is the first coat then early afternoon is the second in between a wet sand. Then maybe buff it out, we will see.