Galvanized bolts and treated lumber

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the general consensus is not to use either on an aluminum boat or any object that regularly contacts the boat, such as the trailer. Non-treated lumber or plywood and SS screws is the way to go to reduce the chances of corrosion. Of course, using non-treated wood will mean that you need to apply a sealer, such as Helmsman.

Thanks. The treated 2X4's won't touch the boat. I'm going to bolt treated 2X4's on top of my galvanized trailer frame, and then put 1/2" thick bunk sliks on top of the 2X4's, totally covering the wood.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=327079#p327079 said:
wingsnhammers » Yesterday, 19:49[/url]"]I see no problem with that. In fact, I use treated lumber to make my bunks out of. I put carpet on mine and bolted them on. No slicks at all.
Keep a close eye on that the carpet will allow the copper in the treated lumber to leach through and could cause problems down the road. It would be advisable to at least paint the treated wood with a good coat of enamel paint to seal up the wood first.

Every backyard Deck is made from treated wood with Galvanized screws or nails holding it together. You should be good to go. I've never had any problems with Galvanized fasteners on Aluminum boats.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=327286#p327286 said:
DanMC » 25 Aug 2013, 01:15[/url]"]Pressure treated eats galvanised ,used pressure treated boards on a galvanised trailer and within a year made the trailer that was galvanised RUST !

Thanks. I hate when I get conflicting answers though. :?: Now I'm back to square one.

Sure you can buy special screws/bolts but don't let pressure treated lumber touch metal,any metal be it galvanised,aluminum....you will regret it.Like i said in my previous post....i switched to cedar and where i neded plywood i used Bluwood (Lowes)....Bluwood is a safe and non corrosive alternative to pressure treated.You can also coat with Bluwood any lumber (except pressure treated type).Read up about Bluwood and you'll be sold !

I thought about 2X4 cedar, but I didn't think it would be strong enough. It needs to span 42.5"(lying flat) between the 2 trailer frame members. Would 2X4 cedar be strong enough? Or can I use some sort of barrier between the galv. trailer and treated lumber? Thanks

Latest posts