gas guage not even close?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNtroller

Reaction score
have an 04 tracker PT175 with full instruments (volts, tach, speedo & gas guages), all oem stuff. Noticed the other day after putting some gas in the boat, and already had about a half a tank, that the gas guage was showing only a 1/4 of a tank. Tank is a 20 or 22 gal (can't remember which) but I know had at least 3/4 tank after gassing up, but the gas gauge still showed 1/4 tank. What do I need to look at to see whats wrong. Sending unit in the tank or the dash gauge, and how do I test to determine what's wrong?? I know the gas gauge won't be 100% accurate, but half a tank off is warrants some snooping around imo.

on top of the gas tank itself is the electrical connection ( 2 wires) and a circular metal plate which I assume is the float mechanism under it. The metal plate has a few bolts/screws that holds it in place/attaches it to the top of the tank itself. Somewhat hesitant to remove the screws since I don't know how it is sealed, just a gasket or a sealant type. Looking for some guidance here before digging in.

9 times out of 10 at our shop it is the sending unit. Most of the time the guage is just fine. You would need to get another sending unit and make sure it is rated for the gallons in the tank. You can get a universal sending unit and cut it to work with your tank (pretty easy). As for sealing the sending unit, it is just a gasket under the unit. No sealant is required. This is actually a very easy fix and you can do this in about an hour or less (depending on your skill level)
Ask if you have anymore questions.

thanks, good info to have.

is there a test to see/determine if the sender is bad. I put a DDM on the pink & black wires on the top of the tank yesterday, and got a 7.25 reading with the key on to power up the gas gauge, which didn't mean anything to me. I was expecting something close to 12 with a 12v system.

I did not see any corrosion on the terminals, the boat is stored in a storage shed, so it gets hot or cold depending on the season, but stays dry.

Latest posts