Go Pro Cameras...Do you use one for fishing/boating?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Man

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Go Pro Cameras for Fishing and Mounting on our small boats.....Do you use one? Are there preferred models for boats/fishing?
I've read of overheating issues....is this common?

I see Costco has the GoPro HERO11 Black on sale for $239. I've never owned or used one, but they have sparked my interest.

I use an iMac... so not sure about software editing needed.

Thanks!

I have an older Go-Pro and it's cumbersome to use. Now I have an Akaso action camera and it is way easier to use. It comes with a waterproof case and a bunch of other stuff. Way better price than a Go-Pro and if you lose it your not out too much money. Check it out.

https://tinyurl.com/5azbyfp5
What was cumbersome about the GP? They appear to be similar cameras. How's the battery life of the Akaso....apples to apples settings compared to the GP? Extra batteries?

What was cumbersome about the GP? They appear to be similar cameras. How's the battery life of the Akaso....apples to apples settings compared to the GP? Extra batteries?
Cumbersome in that it was difficult to use. Too many "press this button then this button" to get to a point you need to set stuff up. Batteries were short lasting in the old Go-Pro. Maybe new ones are better. Newer Go-Pro is probably better but lots more money. If you're not producing YouTube videos, you may not need a GP
The Akaso is easy to use and the batteries last. You can buy extra batteries and charger for cheap as well. It takes a 64GB memory card, so lot's of room.

I tried the filming and posting and found myself spending more time screwing with the GP than fishing. One day I said to myself, "what's wrong with this picture"?? So I opened a beer, pondered the situation, put the GP back in it's case and went back to FISHING. Posted the GP for sale, sold it and haven't missed it since..... That's MY story..

My son has a Go Pro he used to film downhill skiing. We considered filming some of our fishing outings, but decided not to. Sometimes just taking pictures can slow down a hot bite. We choose fishing over filming. :)

I recently bought a cheap rubber mount for my smart phone. Been using it to vid my efforts to start old motors. Think it would work just swell on the boat and intend to give it a go. If you think about it, it's a bit redundant buying another video cam when you likely have one in your pocket. Just one button to push too.

I have used an Action Camera for fishing, and really liked it.

The trick, for me at least, is mounting it somewhere that it can have a power cable run to it. Then use my phone to control it.

Hook a big one, turn on the phone and record the fight. Nice and easy. I did this a bit when the kids were small. Lost the camera for awhile, and got out of the habit. I just found it this week, and plan to see if the batteries still work. Will be fun to use again, if it still works.

I recently bought a cheap rubber mount for my smart phone. Been using it to vid my efforts to start old motors. Think it would work just swell on the boat and intend to give it a go. If you think about it, it's a bit redundant buying another video cam when you likely have one in your pocket. Just one button to push too.
I've got one of those, too. It works well, but on a wet day, I'm not taking the chance with my phone. It's got too much important information on it, and replacements are expensive. My action camera was something like $39, if I recall.

I have thought about it many times. I have one of those Amazon Gopro knockoffs but have never used it.

Crappy internet was a big hindrance for me in the past. Not an issue now with fiber brought to us by the power company.

Im poor so I bought a small camera called a Crosstour from Walmart online. Its a "go pro knock off" I guess. I have it mounted on a baseball hat. The only issue with it is they recommend you use the batteries that come with it and not connecting it to a battery for some reason so I have like 7 batteries and I just swap them out every hour. I did have issues with the first one I got and they told me to keep it and sent another. Service was excellent. Then the second one I damaged my self so I bought another which is how I acquired all the batteries. It does what I want it to do. Pictures is good. Sound is so so. If you want to try something cheap to see if you like it. I recommend it instead of spending hundreds of dollars only to find out you may not get into it. If your going to post on YouTube you will get into spending time editing and all that. It can be time consuming. If you want to see how mine look you can check out my channel. https://www.youtube.com/@monzsterman only the actual fishing ones on water are the Crosstour though so just look for those.

Latest posts