Good idea or waste of time?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yup, makes sense.

What color are you gonna paint it?

Here's a sample of an option...

2013_08_17140456.jpg

j/k :LOL2:

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=326439#p326439 said:
SumDumGuy » 17 Aug 2013, 17:55[/url]"]yup, makes sense.

What color are you gonna paint it?

Here's a sample of an option...

2013_08_17140456.jpg

j/k :LOL2:

Lol no. just no

the beauty of a 1232 jon is that its light and easy to drag around, made to throw in the back of a pick up truck... adding floors and decks and too much stuff takes those advantages away...

i learned that the hard way...i put a deck on one, and as soon as i launched it i knew it was a mistake...i stripped it back to bare hull and used it like that for years...

even if the boat is free. id leave it how it is...a good refurb with paint and stuff is cool...if used for fishing, carpet would even be pretty neat to make it quiet...but id skip any floors or decks...

get a bigger boat to deck out...

I like that color!!! Easy to spot if some one were to steal it. I painted the bow and part of the stern, of mine, bright orange just for that purpose LOL East to spot in the back of a pick-up.

Gary

Really, about the only thing I'd do to it is bolt a 1" steel rod on the bottom of the transom to act as an axle and get a set of pneumatic wheel barrow tires to mount on it. They'll add some stability, add some flotation on the back and work wonders for getting it in and out of the water. With a trolling motor it's not going to affect the speed that much.

Forget the decking and all the other nonsense. I might go as far as carpet taping some foam mats in the bottom so it's easier to walk on barefoot without sliding around.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=326725#p326725 said:
Ranchero50 » 20 Aug 2013, 09:47[/url]"]Really, about the only thing I'd do to it is bolt a 1" steel rod on the bottom of the transom to act as an axle and get a set of pneumatic wheel barrow tires to mount on it. They'll add some stability, add some flotation on the back and work wonders for getting it in and out of the water. With a trolling motor it's not going to affect the speed that much.

Forget the decking and all the other nonsense. I might go as far as carpet taping some foam mats in the bottom so it's easier to walk on barefoot without sliding around.

Do you have a picture of the rod and tire setup you're talkung about. And yeah, I've since decided to abandon the idea of decking it. I was thinking plywood with carpet for the floors, and mabe mounting some kind of seats on the existing benches

Something like this. Fat tires, 12-14" OD like from an 4 wheeler on an axle bolted to the back of the hull. You could literally roll the boat to the bank and into the water.

2ca04ec9-44cc-44d7-8430-2f728e44b9a6_400.jpg

Any wood that can support the load will work. Some are better than others as far as longevity, but I personally see no reason to spend huge money for wood that will last 100 years when I can get a cheaper wood that may last 5-20 years (long enough for me).

I used an oak ply for transom wood on this boat. Stained it and gave it several coats of spar polyurethane.

boat.jpg

It might not work.
As others have said, the boat is NARROW. I have fitted a 1232 with side pods. Basically i spent my childhood on this 1232, with four people on it. It was fun as hell, but i had no experience on boating. Just once we had a problem ending up in the water, because somebody was fishing standing.... that's a big NO for those small boats.

The limitations on that boat were big. We used a Minnkota Maxxum 55lbs, (infinitely variable speed with "maximizer", that is an electronic throttle control that saves electricity when not using full speed).. We couldn't travel farther than 4 miles until the battery were losing it (group 27 deep cycle, heavy one). Max speed was 2.5 mph.

After this previous incident we left boating for maybe 8 years.

Then i grew, at 22 we took the boat out again, but this time without the side pods. 3 people on it. It wasnt stable when windy. In fact, it was scary on a very small reservoir.
The downside where that, if we fitted the pods, the thing would be slower and the range would be shorter, so 4 miles were the maximum at perfect conditions (no wind, no nothing).
Fishing standing up on it was PROHIBITED. I mean standing on the boat floor, not even over a bench.

Me at 33 years old, after all the hassles, after frustration of never knowing all the places of our local reservoir, we bought a Lowe 1760 + Fourstroke 60 hp.
If we had bought a medium size boat, FROM THE START, lets say a 1450, we could have fitted the thing with a 10 o 15 hp motor, and gone to all the places we wanted.

If you want it to last use Marine Ply and waterproof it with Epoxy, or Spar Urethane. I thought about using Regular ply until I saw how many voids are in it, those can hold and trap water causing it to rot from the inside out.