Graph mount

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilby

Reaction score
Hey all,

Not sure if this post should be in this forum or not, feel free to move if not. I'm interested in some sort of graph mount for my console. It's got a flat top (I'll post a pic) and easy enough to just mount the cradle to the flat top but I'm curious about a cheaper mount that is able to swivel to help with any sun glare if I am on the back of the boat and not sitting right in front of it.

I bought the balzout mount for the bow and while it seems super stout it's a bit pricey. Was curious if anyone knows of a cheaper option. I did find this johnny ray swivel mount which seems to be a decent option at this point.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/joh...vwL6mHPwIZSNvYv2h9waAjmaEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Any mounts out there that I am not aware of that are at an affordable price point?

Attachments

• 1000015771.jpg
    1000015771.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 1
I used a Johnny Ray mount, years ago, with an Eagle GPS. It provides flat rotation adjustment, only. If you have a mount for your FF that mounts to it, you will be able to pitch it back/forth. I had two bases in different boats. Make sure that you get one big enough for your FF.

Recent years, only have used the oem mount or oem mount with a RAM mount.

Last edited:
I use that same Johnny Ray on my boat and the previous one. Been running strong for 6+ years. I wanted a low profile that would pivot so the FF would face the passenger seat (where I sit when trolling). And, I liked the price.

Because my console is not flat, I mounted the Bracket on a Starboard shim.

JR2.jpg

I used a Johnny Ray mount, years ago, with an Eagle GPS. It provides flat rotation adjustment, only. If you have a mount for your FF that mounts to it, you will be able to pitch it back/forth. I had two bases in different boats. Make sure that you get one big enough for your FF.

I have considered the RAM mount but I see a lot of negative reviews that it can come loose. Do you have this issue at all? I am thinking of putting my Garmin 106SV on console. Not sure what it weighs or what the capabilities of the RAM are.

I use that same Johnny Ray on my boat and the previous one. Been running strong for 6+ years. I wanted a low profile that would pivot so the FF would face the passenger seat (where I sit when trolling). And, I liked the price.

Because my console is not flat, I mounted the Bracket on a Starboard shim.

View attachment 121743
LDUBS, I'm thinking the same thing, I want something low profile as I have a Garmin 93SV and 106SV, undecided on which will go on console yet but most likely the 106. I want and like the low profile of the johnny ray. The cradle itself tilts back and forth so I just want something that pivots left and right to reduce glare and just be able to see if I sit elsewhere as you mentioned.

I have considered the RAM mount but I see a lot of negative reviews that it can come loose. Do you have this issue at all? I am thinking of putting my Garmin 106SV on console. Not sure what it weighs or what the capabilities of the RAM are.

I think I have size "C" for my old HB 999SI. If you use the long arms, it can amplify the boat vibrations.

On my AlumaCraft I have a flat top console and use the Johnny Ray you linked to but on my little MirroCraft I have a Ram Mount and love it. I settled on the 1.5" ball and the related hardware.

I haven't noticed any vibration issues with either system but I suppose it's possible if you get the arm too long. MY main objective with both mounts was to be able to remove them and take with ME instead of someone else walking away with them....

I like the ball type RAM mounts. Not too expensive, and you can bend or rotate them any which way, available in all different lengths. About $50-60 last I knew.

I use a RAM mount on my 14' tinnie. Love it. I've not had any issue with it coming loose.

I made sure that the size I bought would handle my Helix 7. I also do not transport the boat with the Helix display in place; that avoids a lot of unnecessary vibration and wear on the mount and minimizing risk to the display.

Originally I used a long arm, so that it could be lowered close to the deck while running, or raised high to see from the back seat. In the horizontal mode, it would get allot of shake because of the long arm and mass at the end. Added one of those foam golf balls to dampen it. Changed to a short arm when I went to the Simrad display. It is just high enough so it will clear with full throttle.

Attachments

• IMG_6058.jpg
    IMG_6058.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7497.jpg
    IMG_7497.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 1
I have a 10” long Ram mount at the bow and it will slowly fold over if you leave it up when moving fast. This one has a 7” Helix on it. I typically don’t leave it on while trailering. When I do leave it on for trailering short distances the cover is on the Helix and it’s folded flat against the deck.

I bought some knockoff ball mounts from Temu for something like $9 each. Super happy with them! They are the big diameter ones, 2", I think. Later, I bought the same one from Amazon, thinking it would be better since it cost more, and they were identical, the exact same mount.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C1K3FS7Q

Last edited:
The 106SV is a heavy unit and mine with slowly lower itself in choppy water. I ended up fabricating a little PVC box that goes over the ram mount. It has a hole in it that allows the ball on the GPS to go below and connect to the RAM so that it’s setting securely on the PVC base.

EDIT:
It’s a little hard to explain. Here is a picture:

Resized_20240715_123959.jpeg

Sorry about the messy console. This was a hasty solution after being out in the Bay when it was rough. It may not be pretty but it's rock- solid. I'll probably add a little lip to the front so I can throw keys and such in there. When I switch boats, I bring my units with me, and I am very happy with my Garmin network. It's a great setup for both freshwater and saltwater.

Last edited:
Well, you can swivel a ball mount too, but that looks really good, if you have the space for the arm to swing.

LDUBS, I'm thinking the same thing, I want something low profile as I have a Garmin 93SV and 106SV, undecided on which will go on console yet but most likely the 106. I want and like the low profile of the johnny ray. The cradle itself tilts back and forth so I just want something that pivots left and right to reduce glare and just be able to see if I sit elsewhere as you mentioned.
I have the same two units. I run my 106 up front and 93 at console, but that’s just personal preference. Both are on ram mounts, no problems with either. I will say that I never trailer with the units on the boat. They go on at the ramp. One thing is for sure the gt56 transducer is hands down better than the 54 for sidescan. Something to keep in mind if you don’t network the units and are going to run one of each transducer for your units.