HEAVY 1448 GRIZZLY, NEED HELP WITH MOTOR SUGGESTIONS

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassin0331

Reaction score
Need some input.... Narrowed down the motor I want to a Suzuki 20 4 stroke, tohatsu 20 4 stroke, or an Evinrude etec 25hp. Scared of I get the 20 4 stroke it will be underpowered. I'm a big guy and it's a heavy boat. Any input an experience would be appreciated

Price is a big issue to me and a jump to a 25 from a 20 is very large in price difference in the 4 stroke. That why I was considering an etec. I can get one new just pull start for 3250

Hopefully one of the motor guys will chime in but sometimes a good used one will do the job and save a pile of money. I'm by no means a motor guy though...I can point one out but that's about as far as it goes.
My set up with two people and the usual gear (+ two batteries) will get in the upper 20's. My only complaint is how long it takes to get on plane. I've never figured out that part because I don't care enough. I'm not racing anyone to the fishing hole so the hole shot would be just for show anyway. Love the T&T though and use it a lot.

i had a merc 4 stroke 20 on my grizzly. i wasnt happy. after a transom riser, weight movement, prop change it did alright. i would go with the 25hp. if i had to do it again.

It's a tough call. I just had the same decision to make on a lighter Alumacraft V-16.

The 20s are like the biggest of the small engines, and the 25s are the smallest of the big (mid range) engines.

The salesman was pushing for the Merc 20, which is a good engine by all accounts.

I paid an extra $1200 premium (ouch) for a Yamaha 25, which comes with EFI, PT&T, and variable troll (VTS), not to mention 20% more HP. Truly a 2017 engine with modern tech, and a light weight.

Buy once, cry once, and never wonder 'what if'.

My boat is also rated for 25, my goal was to find the lightest 25.

Put the max it's rated for on the capacity plate. You won't have to run the piss out of it just to cruise and the engine will last much longer. Better to have it and not need it than to need it it and not have it.

Big guy, heavy boat= more HP IMO, I'd go with the 25 if that's what I have to think about. Now a 25 isn't as portable as a 20 but you don't mention that at all.

The ETEC 25 weighs more than some of the 20hp 4 strokes. Hard to believe given that it's a 2 stroke motor, which to me the only advantage nowadays of owning a 2 stroke is a little lighter weight. ETEC shoots that right out the window, IMO. Yes it makes 25hp. And that might be attractive for a heavy boat with some heavier loading.

I've run some 15hp and 20hp motors at different times on my war eagle 1548. I wasn't opposed to the 15hp, and actually I was impressed that it ran 23 mph but it was an absolute SLUG getting on plane. Took about 8 seconds from idle to plane. The 25hp takes just under 4 seconds. The 20hp was a little faster, 25 mph, and on plane a little bit quicker (7 seconds) but the 15 and 20 are the exact same motor with the 20hp having 5 more horsepower-which really shows from 4000 RPM up. Below that, felt about like a 15. These are Yamaha's so keep that in mind.

I ran a 1448 Lowe for a while with a Tohatsu 20hp. This was about 4 years ago. It was a slug, hard to plane, slow top end, or should I say slower than I would expect. With 2 of us in the boat, it would not plane at all unless the 2nd person moved his/her weight around enough to get on plane. It was not a "fun" boat at all. We commonly fish a spot that's almost 3 miles from the ramp and 3 miles displacing water takes forever to get there...seems like an hour. Much more fun when it'll plane out! Oh and something else worth mentioning, the tohatsu 20hp power tilt is just that...just tilt. It won't power tilt under way. I thought it would be nice to have but only if it would TRIM under load, which it won't. That hurts both time to plane and top speed both because you have to adjust the trim pin like any other manual tilt motor, to find a happy medium between good holeshot and good top end.

turbotodd said:
Oh and something else worth mentioning, the tohatsu 20hp power tilt is just that...just tilt. It won't power tilt under way. I thought it would be nice to have but only if it would TRIM under load, which it won't. That hurts both time to plane and top speed both because you have to adjust the trim pin like any other manual tilt motor, to find a happy medium between good holeshot and good top end.
Well that just sucks then doesn't it! WTF good is pwr tilt without the trim feature. I was in love with that engine until now when you point that out.

Crazyboat said:
turbotodd said:
Oh and something else worth mentioning, the tohatsu 20hp power tilt is just that...just tilt. It won't power tilt under way. I thought it would be nice to have but only if it would TRIM under load, which it won't. That hurts both time to plane and top speed both because you have to adjust the trim pin like any other manual tilt motor, to find a happy medium between good holeshot and good top end.
Well that just sucks then doesn't it! WTF good is pwr tilt without the trim feature. I was in love with that engine until now when you point that out.

My thoughts exactly. Aside from the obvious being able to tilt it when loading/offloading to the trailer, or having to tilt to get over skinny water, it has no other real use, IMO.

Go for the 2-stroke! Remember, EVERY stroke is a power stroke. The ETEC 25 weighs in at 154 lbs, while the competition's 20 HP engines are lighter, if you compare HP to HP, ETECs are still lighter. For a heavy boat and load , you can't beat the torque of a 2-stroke.

I have a 1448 Grizzly and it is rated for a 40. I have a 25 Yamaha 4 stroke tiller and it does decent. 26 MPH and I have it loaded fairly heavy.

The etec is a great outboard but don't be fooled about the 20hp suzuki, it's a beast of an outboard for a 20hp. If I was you hands down I would get a 25hp 4 stroke suzuki, no questions asked. It's the best outboard for the best price and it's a 3 cylinder powerhouse. You can get a brand new suzuki 25hp delivered to your door for around $3300. If you got the etec already,good luck with it,they are fine outboards,just overpriced imo. Other than that they are powerhouses as well . Hope you like it.

We service a pile of Etec 25hp engines. They are on Craig Cats and are part of a Tour/Rental deal.
We occasionally see an issue but usually it is routing maint. Considering what these engines go through I would say that it is a pretty tough engine.

Latest posts