Hi, my name is Wildman and I have an addiction

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildman

Reaction score
I have to change the tags.......... pictures in a minute

The first step is admitting you have a problem. I only know this from past experience and after reading literally 100s of posts I have to admit I too have a problem. My addiction is a 1972 Terry 15' flat jon boat. You see, I bought this boat 3 years ago and the guy that did the "fixing" up did it halfass, so since I have been trying to do what I can to keep her a float.

My first mod was new wood, carpet and transom. That worked out great except for the two broken ribs that I tried to patch; that and the carpet started to smell from all the fish slim. :D

I will try to dig up some pictures ----

This is a test as I am not familiar with the image tag: Most are calling me crazy, but the boat is now stripped bare again! :D

Why you ask? Well, I fish a lot, hunt a lot and this is my river boat. You can imagine after a season of crappie/whites and several dead hogs the carpet was not a good idea at all. So, I am now going to go with aluminum framing and fiberglassed wood/decks. I am also moving my console to center with a passenger seat on the front of the console. I will be asking some questions along the way, but for now consider this as "Wildman's Second Modification" :D

My first issue is that who ever took the seats out did not properly brace the side walls and three ribs cracked all the way through. I will post some pictures later and also some pictures of how I attempted to fix this problem. But for now, enjoy what I did to her, and then realize all the work is in a dumpster now. I will post my "issue", and the reason for this thread later this evening.

The beginnings .....

3630292894_188bd3448a.jpg

3630292794_e42c943f3c.jpg

The Build ...

3630292994_94d9d99c51.jpg

3630293104_b2c50eb188.jpg

3629478037_9b39478f57.jpg

3629478417_d5b5bff5a0.jpg

3630293464_01fe290167.jpg

3629478521_d2542b1cd6.jpg

3629478617_cc70074b71.jpg

3629478765_91a31f53b0.jpg

3630294010_49c044f40f.jpg

Welcome aboard there Wildman

I take it you are from Texas - please tell us what part and add it to your profile

Nice console

Excuse me while I get use to the rules and such. I will dig around the administrative stuff this evening.

I am from Lampasas but live in Austin.

Here is the shell and reason that I had to tear down and start over. As you can see I was a wuss with the hts-2000 last time. Now, with some help maybe I can talk some of you in to giving some opinions on how to go about making the structure of this boat more stable.

Here is my plan

As you can see, I HTS-2000ed the cracks to death. I am sure that the bottom of the boat will rip out before the ribs break again, BUT

How can I stop the pressure of the ribs breaking. As you can see, I put some bracing from the floor to the wall and I plan on putting in angle braces on the two "kicked" ribs on the front and back. It will get a face and deck on the front and back.

What caused the cracks to begin with? Flex from the side of the boat without supports?

3631055014_c10064999d_o.jpg

3631055054_77b75616e0_o.jpg

3631055188_0329f5a148_o.jpg

3630240007_22ea92a0fd_o.jpg

3630239891_69da02742e_o.jpg

Welcome, Danny!
What took you so long?
Glad you are here!

I am guessing that you are right, the cracked ribs appear to be from the hull flexing.

Thanks for the welcome. It will be a new LONG build but an all fiberglassed interior will make for a easy clean after a trip.

I will post a drawing of the bracing and floor plan tomorrow. Maybe you all can look at my thought and tell me if it will shore up the flex of the sides of the boat.

I don't know what kind of weight it will be. I have never done an all fiberglass interior. But we will see as this build goes along. I can't imagine it being any more heavy than the wood, carpet glue and carpet that was in there. That and I understand that I can do my floor and decks with 1/2" marine ply and my side panels, console our of 1/4" marine ply. There is also the issue of hatch covers that will be out of pre molded plastics. That is going to take some weight back, too.

Money is going to be the issue with speed this time. I just spend $250 on aluminum so my month's allowance is gone ;)

But its the middle of the month =D>

Wildman, since this is your first post I'll reply here with my humble opinion on your project. I think for the cracked rib you should girder it with a 1" peice of square tubing 2" above the existing rib and overlap the original rib with an inverted peice of aluminum angle, welded in if possible. A girder will allow the two stringers to support each other through the angle bars between them. Remember the strongest structure is a triangle.

I don't think I would fiberglass it, the glass will absorb water over time and will be difficult to remove for the next round of repair. Maybe Linex (@ $400) instead since you are using it so hard.

Only real concern is modding an older aluminum boat that has metal fatigue damage. How much value will you get out of it vs the time and effort to make it what you want.

Should be an interesting project regardless.
Jamie

It looked good before you started dismantling. The problem with a lot of conversions is making the boat more rigid or having the stress load up in specific points. You will have your work cut out for you. I made some references to advice I received from a good friend/welder/structural guy (see post https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11211 ) I am trying to make my conversion a floating deck. Only rigid where the boat is rigid now.

You will probably need to reinforce the ribs where they were broken with angle material. When you weld it back, DO NOT WELD the ends. This will allow the stress to transfer through the length of the rib. If you weld the end, it will become harder and the stess will load up there and crack before of aft of the weld. By NOT WELDING the end, it will allow the stress to travel along the ribs as it should.