home defence shotguns

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcbouy

Reaction score
any recomendations on a model or brand? how hard are the pistol grips to shoot? can a light be installed on an 18.5" barrel ? i'm not too worried about recoil,i'm a big guy.i will also be bringing it into bear country while we fish/camp.i don't plan on busting the bank cuz i don't hunt. 12 ga. remington 870,mossberg 500,i hear the winchester is made in turkey,are the imports very good? never owned a gun (but have fired a few) so i'm not knowlegeable so any input is greatly apreciated.

I've always like mossberg for shotguns.

I had a nice five shot pump that was sawed to a nice handling length for hunting but I actually preferred my single shot break down style...I had it sawed to the legal limit (which where I used to be was 18" barrel)...for home defense or for grabbing some partridge from an apple tree it was a great gun!

FYI, I personally do not like pistol grips at all. It's a shotgun...if you want a handgun get a handgun...which IMO is better for home defense anyway.

handgun laws up here are really strict.can't take one outside the home except directly to the firing range and right back home.useless to me for camping security.if i have to ventilate a predator, worst case,i lose my PAL,and get a huge fine and forefit all the firearms i own.probably a ban as well so it has to be a shotgun.legal barrel length is whatever the manufacturer made the gun so the shorter/portable the better.i've fished rivers 50' away from blackbears before,but you never know...grizzlies are a different story.

Home defense go with a 12 gauge model 500 mossberg or 590, forget the pistol grip, every expert I have seen says use standard shoulder stock. 590 is more expensive, 1+8 rounds I think. 500 only holds 1+5. Use bird shot / target loads in them, wont go thru your walls but will stop the bad guy. My mossberg has never failed to function properly in 30 years of range / hunting / trap / home defense.

I'm using a The Remington model 11 semi-auto 12 gauge shotgun 1+4 picked up in 1928 and passed down threw the family to finally me. Has never let the family down and still gets it share of use hunting.

I am Remington fan and have an 870 which is a reliable Pump action 12 gauge. I personally would go with a Remington 870 tactical and put a high powered light and a red dot scope on it

https://www.remington.com/products/firearms/tactical/shotguns/model-870-express-tactical.aspx

And a Red dot type site (just for picture)

https://www.burrisoptics.com/fastfire.html

Jim said:
I am Remington fan and have an 870 which is a reliable Pump action 12 gauge. I personally would go with a Remington 870 tactical and put a high powered light and a red dot scope on it

https://www.remington.com/products/firearms/tactical/shotguns/model-870-express-tactical.aspx

+1 and you can dang there buy any aftermarket part you can think of for the 870

fool4fish1226 said:
Jim said:

+1 and you can dang there buy any aftermarket part you can think of for the 870

+2 Big fan of the Remington.....

I didn't notice you were in Canada...yea it sucks up there for gun owners. We just moved away last summer. Now I can strap a 1911 on my hip and walk down town all I want. Thankful for the 2nd amendment and state preemption laws.

that 870 tactical looks like its a good fit for what i need.going to hit the stores and see how it feels on the weekend.

For my personal home defense gun I have a Mossberg 835 Ultra Mag 12 gauge with 3 1/2s and an extra full choke. I don't care who or what you bring, there is going to be a coffe can size hole in you if you get in front of that barrel. As others have said, the Remington 870 is an EXCELLENT gun as well and you will never have a single problem with it. I have one and love it for skeet shooting and just playing around, but I keep the 3 1/2 by the bed just incase i have to shoot through a wall or two :) For defense purposes I prefer a pump over a semi auto...just because I don't need any malfuctions or jams when it counts. Also keep a Glock .40 subcompact in the nightstand drawer with 2 clips full of hallow points (incase there might be an army invade in the middle of my sleep). Some may call me paranoid, but with both those next to the bed I say, what the heck do I need to be parnoid about!

It's a lot easier to get around a doorway or operate in a confined space with a hand gun than a shot gun. Especially if you find yourself on the offensive. IMO a hand gun is the best home defense.

Also adding a light to your firearm can be a bad idea. Gives the bad guy something to shoot at, or see you coming, and requires the barrel to be pointed at what you are trying to illuminate which could be friendly. Same principle why you don't use your rifle scope for spotting.

The winchester 1200 has a rotary designed bolt that has a locking lug to reduce stress on the chamber, very similar to that on an ar15. They were issued to replace the model 12 for military up until 1970. Very cool design. The Remington 870 is most popular choice for law enforcement and would be an excellent shotty. Not a fan of the 500 for business use but it would do just fine. If you can foresee yourself using this purchase in a rough environment I'd suggest going with a 590 as it uses all metal parts. The 500 has too much plastic for my taste.

Whatever you do decide on consider an extended magazine, esp if you don't plan on leaving a round in the chamber. The add on tubes in the aftermarket come in both metal / plastic. Some guns from the factory already have these. There again, avoid plastic. You bust your mag on someone's head, door, car, etc. each round will have to be hand loaded. Also consider a side saddle to keep a variety of loads accessible. Make a clear distinction b/t plastic and polymer though. Glock good. Cheap chine plastic bad.

Most importantly beware of the penetration power of the round you choose and whats beyond your target.

+one on no light...I think that's a bad call. Your eyes will adjust to the dark quickly enough and if you just woke up they already will be. A light let's him know right where you are and where you are coming from. I understand the idea that you may use it to blind him...which is a fine premise...I would suggest if you do a light get one with a thumb pressure switch or something of the sort and only use it when you have the enemy in your sights.

+ despite the strict hand gun laws up there I would still save my pennies and add one to your arsenal ASAP. Nothing beats the mobility and ease of a hand gun in close quarters.

Also get some cuffs/zip ties - being from Canada I am all too familiar with the ridiculousness of their laws when it comes to protecting your home. You only want to shoot as a last resort because odds are you will end up in prison. I come from a cop family up there - father, grandfather, uncles...I am familiar with the crappiness of the Canadian justice system and the way it favors criminals. They have some insane 'like force' laws.

If something ever does happen and you fire your gun the most important thing to remember will be 1. Do not say too much. You can easily incriminate yourself. 2. Remember and use the words, "I was in fear for my life."

I agree that a hand gun is very mobil and easy to use, however, I do not feel is the best self/home defense gun. A shot gun, to me, is the best because you can eliminate your target even at a bit of a distance, but without the worry of the round carrying too far. This is especially true for anyone who lives in an urban environment with neighbors close by. You do not want to put their life in danger while protecting yours. I am a firm believer in hand guns (have a ccw and carry every single day), but when it comes to home defense, I will reach right over my handgun for the shot gun if its available. Or how I prefer to do it...clip on my handgun for incase I run out of shells in the shot gun :wink:

riverrunner5891 said:
I agree that a hand gun is very mobil and easy to use, however, I do not feel is the best self/home defense gun. A shot gun, to me, is the best because you can eliminate your target even at a bit of a distance, but without the worry of the round carrying too far. This is especially true for anyone who lives in an urban environment with neighbors close by. You do not want to put their life in danger while protecting yours. I am a firm believer in hand guns (have a ccw and carry every single day), but when it comes to home defense, I will reach right over my handgun for the shot gun if its available. Or how I prefer to do it...clip on my handgun for incase I run out of shells in the shot gun :wink:

Good point...I did like my 18 incher...it has an intimidation factor as well, which in a country that persecutes law abiding citizens is important.

By the way, RiverRunner - MO is an open carry friendly state. Do it up. :)

By the way, RiverRunner - MO is an open carry friendly state. Do it up.

Jdholmes,
You are right we are open carry, but the crappy part is each city/municipality and even county feels differently about this than the State and chooses to allow or change the law previously set. I myself prefer concealed carry anyway as now instead of being a target (because they know I am armed) I blend in and get the suprise on them! Hope I never have to use it, but glad to know that I can at least fight back if I ever need to!

Best home defense shotgun - depends on what part of the house I'm in when someone breaks in. I'm a fan of my Mossberg 500 with the pistol grip. The mossberg has a loud action compared to my 870 or my Winchester 20 guage so I prefer that at times. Just the sound of shucking a shell will scare the crap out of most people. My favorite shotgun is the 870 hands down. I sleep very close to and carry my Kahr TP45 a lot so that would be my first gun I reach for if sleeping. Bottom line - my fiance thinks I'm crazy but if someone breaks in to my home they are not leaving the same way they came in.

There have been discussions on it forever but IMO the best shell for home defense is bird shot. It won't go very far but still do some serious damage.

i think i'd prefer a light as we have 3 boys that like to show up unannounced.that will probably stop when i tell them i'm sleeping over a loaded 12 banger :LOL2: a few years ago 2 junkies crawled thru the kitchen window when we were sleeping and stole the wifes purse,our minivan and some clothes.things could have gone really bad really fast. i wish i'd have woken up. i sleep with a full size kbar on my nightstand and its razor sharp.i live in a condo and don't want handgun rounds blasting thru walls so again,no handguns.i want something that will stop someone with 1 round.