home defence shotguns

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mossberg ChainSaw hands down!

Been around this block a few times with experience of choices, I have been working on the last 5 years to have a home defence gun with in reach for me at least of 15-20 feet.

Google it or YouTube it "mossberg chainsaw"

The handle takes off a lot of the recoil on your wrist, have one myself plan on two more soon, 400 bucks and worth it, has the door breach on it too, in case you have to shoot out of a locked room.!

Yup I want one! :LOL2:

Mossberg-500-Chainsaw-1.jpg

A shotgun for home defense is way better than a handgun.Handgun___1 bullet,shotgun many.Your not going to miss.Any shotgun out there will do & on a tight budget consider a used one.

crazymanme2 said:
A shotgun for home defense is way better than a handgun.Handgun___1 bullet,shotgun many.Your not going to miss.Any shotgun out there will do & on a tight budget consider a used one.

I agree with this statement, but A gun is better than no gun for sure. :)

My reasons for shotgun home defense is

1 you have a better chance of hitting your target under pressure. When your scared and nerves are all high up you can miss and when it comes to a scatter gun, there is a much greater oppurtunity(like that choice of word) to hit your intruder, as with everything you could over come your nerves by training, but all around a scatter gun can hit its target much better by me or anyone of my family members

2 less chance of over penetration, it's still there but way less, so it's a safety thing for my family. Don't want to have to shoot a intruder and take a chance to strike a family member in the other room. Yes they have special ammo for your hand guns for over penetration protection but again I will refer to my reasoning number 1 on this.

3 just the sound alone of ratchet loading a shell usually will discourage a intruder to go any further!

4 another reason to own another gun! Lol

While I do agree with some of the points about a shotgun over a handgun - especially the intimidation factor (nobody should want to have to pull the trigger) and that especially for a Canadian where he risks real jail time if he does shoot an intruder....so I see and can somewhat agree with the view of shotgun over hangun...and it's what I used for a long time.

I do have to whose he what if, though. What if you have a family member that for whatever reason is close enough to the intruder that they would risk being included in the wide spray of a shotgun - especially a sawed off shotgun.

There are times when the single shot of a handgun is desirable. Of utmost importance is practice in the range...practice, practice, practice...nerves won't be as much of an issue when you are just as comfortable with it in your hand as not.

I'm coming in a tad late on this, but might I suggest a Taurus "Judge". Five-shot revolver, chambered for .410 shotshell or .41 long colt. For a handgun, it's fairly massive, as the cylinder has to be pretty big for that shotshell, but I suggest it would be great for a nightstand security piece.

I can't say how Canada might view it, whether as a shotgun or handgun. (I suspect handgun.)

No matter what you choose, might I also suggest you load a rubber-shot round as your first charge. From a legal standpoint, it suggests that you attempted to use less-than-deadly force to protect your home. The rest of the rounds should be #7.5 shot, in all guages. I've read penetration test results that showed that even the "lowly" .22 would go through up to 2.5 layers of 1/2" plywood, but #7.5 out of a shotgun barely got through a single layer of 1/2" ply.

In your case, bcbouy, it might be the safest way for you to load it. I might suggest the first round of either a beanbag, three-ball, or "beehive" rubber round, followed by steel-shot, #7.5 round for the remainder of the magazine. (Three-ball round has three, roughly 3/4" rubber balls, and a Beehive being a shotshell loaded with a handful of rubber balls about the size of the classic .177 caliber BB's.)

If the sound of you chambering a round in a pump shotgun doesn't send the perp running, then you are legally covered with a less than lethal first discharge. If the perp keeps coming, then rely on that firearms enthusiast's saying of "I'd rather be judged by twelve, than carried by six."

Roger

The Judge..those things are wicked...

I don't believe they sell them in Canada though.

Not a bad idea on the rubber rounds. I always want to be ready to defend myself, my family and home, but the last thing anyone wants to do is be responsible for taking the life of another...

I've got a WW1 riot/trench gun, it's a Winchester M97. It has the barrel shroud, and even a bayonet lug where the bayonet from an M-1 Garand will fit on it.

But what I REALLY like about this gun, is that as long as you have the trigger depressed, every time you pump the action, it will fire, unlike modern guns where you have to release the trigger and pull again.

FishingBuds said:
My reasons for shotgun home defense is

1 you have a better chance of hitting your target under pressure. When your scared and nerves are all high up you can miss and when it comes to a scatter gun, there is a much greater oppurtunity(like that choice of word) to hit your intruder, as with everything you could over come your nerves by training, but all around a scatter gun can hit its target much better by me or anyone of my family members

2 less chance of over penetration, it's still there but way less, so it's a safety thing for my family. Don't want to have to shoot a intruder and take a chance to strike a family member in the other room. Yes they have special ammo for your hand guns for over penetration protection but again I will refer to my reasoning number 1 on this.

3 just the sound alone of ratchet loading a shell usually will discourage a intruder to go any further!

This is pretty much how I feel about it in a nutshell. Nothing beats a shotty for home defense. I have several. My favorite is my Remington 1100 that I rescued from a used rack at my local gunshop. It was pretty beat, but I rebuilt it using Wolff springs, and a Scattergun technologies mag extension. The whole thing has been recoated using Gunkote with moly, so it operates so smooth and slick. When fired, its like a strawberries and cream: You just cant get enough!

https://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr220/pallymcgee/Rem1100007.jpg

Honestly, I am stoked to find this site. I love guns. As a machinist, guns are a natural for me, but I also love boats and fishing too. Its like having a great wife that lets you have your mistress live in the spare bedroom!

Oh just one more thing about shotguns for HD: My Remington 1100 is a sweet gun, but for HD I say simpler the better, and a simpler weapon may save your life. Thats why my new project is a Stevens side-by-side 12 gauge. Point and shoot. Hit what you point at. More-complicated weapons like semiautos and pumps, and pistols with mags and lights and whatnot may not be the best solution if an intruder wakes you up and you are still groggy from sleep.

Hi Kibby,
Great job on the restore of that shotgun. That gunkote stuff looks amazing. My father in law gave me an old dinosaur shotgun that is a bolt action and has a magazine for the shells. :shock:

I would love to attempt to restore that thing to working condition.

bulldog said:
Best home defense shotgun - depends on what part of the house I'm in when someone breaks in. I'm a fan of my Mossberg 500 with the pistol grip. The mossberg has a loud action compared to my 870 or my Winchester 20 guage so I prefer that at times. Just the sound of shucking a shell will scare the crap out of most people. .

500 with pistol grip here too. With the pistol grip all you've got to do is learn to let the gun recoil a few inches between shots. Hold it firm like a pistol and it will rack your hand and forearm bones. I like the 18" barrel with pistol grip. Very short gun.

Jim said:
Hi Kibby,
Great job on the restore of that shotgun. That gunkote stuff looks amazing. My father in law gave me an old dinosaur shotgun that is a bolt action and has a magazine for the shells. :shock:

Wow, as would I. I have been into restoring guns since I was a young teen and my Dad gave me a beat up old 410 shotgun that he had as a kid...first thing I did was rip it down and start refinishing the stock.

I have done probably 7-8 now. My favorite was an old .303 British - dad bought 4 of them and gave each of us boys one and kept one for himself. It was beat to crap but I got it back to beautiful condition, right down to that pretty brass butt plate with a cleaning kit inside.

Love the oldies.

Jim said:
Hi Kibby,

Hi Jim, That KG Gunkote is great stuff, but requires a lot of care to apply. The gun needs to be totally devoid of any grease or other contaminants, and sandblasted with 120 grit aluminum oxide. The parts should be preheated before application, and again cured at (300 degrees?... bad memory). The result is a gun that is totally sealed against the weather, and if you are diligent to also apply the coating to the internals of the gun, you'll get a very slick action. I rebuilt an early-70's Winchester 1894 lever-action in 30-30, and redid the whole thing inside and out with flat dark earth gunkote, and it was an amazing transformation. That gun went from a rusty closet gun, to a very nice shooter. The guy I got it from, said it was in the cellar stairway of his grandfather's house for 20+ years. The gunkote gave it new life, and now its a decent addition to my collection.

I apologize for the lack of pics. I am working off a new PC here, and haven't loaded Photobucket yet. I tried to upload some pics I have stored on photobucket, but this site said they were too big. As soon as I get my stuff together, I'll post up some pics and also do some how-to DIY-type threads if anyone is interested.

Also Jim, I think I know that old shotgun of which you are speaking. Does it have an adjustable choke? Is it a Mossberg? they made some old bolt-action guns like that for a few years. BIG walnut stocks, if I recall correctly, and heavy too. I had one in 16 gauge when I was a kid. My brothers GI Joes were not safe from the wrath of that gun!

Gun Kote is a decent coating for guns. I did a Mossberg 500, my SKS, and my Ruger 22 pistol in OD green.
I did my PSG-1 with black Gun Kote.

This stuff is pretty much impervious to solvents, including really aggressive solvents like Butch's Bore Shine.
But as stated, the surface needs to be prepped correctly, such as bead blasting. Then you have to pre-heat the part to about 120 degrees, either by setting it in the sun, or in an oven, before applying the Gun Kote.

Once applied, you bake it in an oven at about 300-350 degrees (I forget the exact temp) for the length of time specified.

And on the note of home defense shotguns, I've been looking at one of those new AR-15-type shotguns, I forget who makes it, but I saw one in Shotgun News a while back. Has anyone shot one of these, or own one? If so, what's your impression of it?

On a final note, I'd REALLY like to have a "Master Key" on my AR-15. Basically a master key is kinda like an M-203, except, instead of a 40mm grenade launcher, it's a 12 ga shotgun, mounted under the barrel of the AR-15/M-16.

But I think a master key is classified as an "AOW"...which means dealing with a mountain of paperwork, and the jackboot thugs of the ATF. I have friends in LE, such as DNR and DHEC officers, and I respect the job that they and other LE officers do. But as far as the ATF, I have nothing but contempt for them, and their storm-trooper/gestapo mentality. And from what I understand, if you have a permit for a class 3 or an AOW, it gives the ATF the right to come to your house any time of day or night without a warrant and they can demand to see the firearm and the paperwork. No, thanks...I'll retain my 4th amendment rights. So, unless they do away with the 1934 NFA laws, I'll never own any suppressors, full auto, or anything else where I have to surrender any more rights.

Jim said:
Without running down to the safe, I think it was a stevens bolt action 20 gauge.

Aha! Probably this one, then. I dont agree with his claim that its a "sleeper" for home defense, but its a dandy gun just the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPJYZ-IFGmo

Also, for you guys looking for a pretty impressive shotgun, check out the new Kel-tec:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPGT0JWqtFo

FWIW, this gun seems to have the best of everything. Shortness of length, high round-capacity, pistol grip, AND a shoulder stock. What's not to like? (Other than its made by KT).

Latest posts