Homemade Testing Tank for Outboard?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this is an old thread but a steel 55 gallon drum is the best I've found. Not a huge footprint when not in use.

It's plenty stable when full to hang up to a 25hp outboard on, and I have a section cut out of mine so I can also use it on motors that are mounted to a boat.

There are some older Mercs and OMCs that will not work with any kind of muffs.

I built a test tank using a 55 gallon blue plastic drum that was food grade
I used these fittings:

Rainpal BBF020 Bulk head tank fittings (2) that has a flange and nut (fill hose attaches here).....Amazon
Water hose bib with male end...will thread into inner bulk head fitting (serves as a water drain and control valve..constant cool water entering)
Water hose coupler that connects water hose to bulk head fitting fitting (since both ends are male).

Works like a charm!
It will not support and engine but fits under your typical rolling motor stand.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• TT4.jpg
    TT4.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 70
  • TT3.jpg
    TT3.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 70
  • TT2.jpg
    TT2.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 70
  • TT1.jpg
    TT1.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 70
Gave up the ears many years ago and use a cut down garbage can for my outboards and I/O. For the jet, had to use a big oval storage container. In reverse, the hose was able to keep up with the water sloshing out. That was kinda of a PITA, so bought te hose attachment for the jet foot.

Hi,
Many car wash places have empty detergent barrels that are very sturdy and they'll usually give them away.. They're smaller than 55gl. so they're easy to set up at the transom and fill in place.