HOUSE's 14' Crestliner V-haul MOD (photos added)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i am not really a noob when it comes to wiring things up but i have not done it no a boat b4 i saw that you mentioned that you were planning on writing up a how to, i you have done that id love to read it and what it the advantage up using a ground black ?

thank for the help !

bigwave said:
Looking good house, I like the led's. I can't wait to show you guys the LED light that I just picked up. I know this is going to sound crazy but I just got a 16 foot continuous string of LED's that has a remote control with features like strobe, dance, flash, and you can change the colors to any color you want. Talk about break dancing...... :shock: these things are bad *** and they only cost 35 bucks.....My buddy installs hi end led's for houses and he gave them to me. I will take some video of the lights in action and post on monday......It will blow you away.

I can't wait to see that, lol. You'll look like a UFO on the water (or a rave) :)
I wish I had bought a continuous strip of LED's rather than individual units...these things were a pain in the butt to wire. I couldn't piggy-back them and had to run individual +/- leads to each of the 12 strips :shock:

VT-Bass13 said:
i am not really a noob when it comes to wiring things up but i have not done it no a boat b4 i saw that you mentioned that you were planning on writing up a how to, i you have done that id love to read it and what it the advantage up using a ground black ?
thank for the help !

Here's my guide that I made for electrical wiring. I started it with 0% knowledge what I was doing, and left with about 80% lol. Still much to learn, but this should help you get the basics underway:

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24267

Good luck!

HOUSE said:
VT-Bass13 said:
thank for the help !

Here's my guide that I made for electrical wiring. I started it with 0% knowledge what I was doing, and left with about 80% lol. Still much to learn, but this should help you get the basics underway:

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24267

Good luck!

wow very nice thank a lot

Nice boat love how simple and clean it is, good work! How does that 9.9 push it?

Gators5220 said:
Nice boat love how simple and clean it is, good work! How does that 9.9 push it?
Honestly, I don't know yet :shock: I still haven't taken her out due to weather conflicts and work. I think this coming Saturday just might be the day!

I'm going to post a video in a second of the motor running for the first time. That was exciting to see it come to life after sitting in my garage for a full year!

Here's the outboard running after sitting unused for a year. I was quite thankful that it started up on the first pull! I'm wondering it the impeller is kicking out enough water, though. The water coming out is super-hot. I'm going to post a thread about it in the motor section shortly:

It's always a good idea to rebuild a water pump on a boat that's sat for a while. Its relatively inexpensive I think for my yamaha it was like 30 bucks, which is cheap considering what it would cost to replace the motor.

6/6/12 I got the boat out of the garage at 6am to get ready to take her out and the trailer wiring somehow got caught on the garage and ripped right off! Dang it! I ran up to Walmart and bought a trailer wiring "extension kit" and spliced the wires together using butt-connectors, shrink wrap tubing, and electrical tape...but it was 11am before I had everything going again so we cancelled the trip.

I'll post picture of this latest "mod" later on. I'm hoping to get her out tomorrow or Saturday now instead.

Trailer_wiring_extension.jpg

Let me know how she does on the water, I'm thinking about decking my 58 viking.

UPDATE: 7/4/2012 Maiden voyage was a success!!!

I can finally say that I got my boat out on the water for the first trip and it went pretty well. We hit the docks at daybreak and ran into it hit the water without any issue and the 9.9hp motor started up on the first pull. We had a slight "bump" in the road as we started taking in water pretty hard because I put the plug in too far and it started rattling loose as the motor vibrated. We docked it and re-plugged the drain and we didn't have any more issues. The stability of the boat was awesome! I was afraid she would be top heavy with all of the weight I added, but we had no problem standing on the front and back decks simultaneously while casting. Here's a picture of the "Minnowtaur" at the docks when we started:

Here's a picture of the trailer. It sits pretty low to the ground, but it gets the job done.
First_Trip_Out_1.jpg

Here's a picture of the boat after we dunked it. My friend's manning the trolling motor:
First_Trip_Out_2.jpg

The boat got up on plane once we got out to open water. We didn't check our top speeds, but I think it was moving 10+mph. We traveled about a half mile from our boat ramp without issue and I caught my first fish on the boat...a whopping 7" white bass :) It was 100+ degrees out and without a bimini top, we got fried so we decided to head in at lunch time. I went to start up the motor and couldn't get it to kick in. It seemed to be choking out, so we had to let it sit for 10 minutes. Luckily I had a golf umbrella to keep us out of the sun. It sure was hot when we weren't moving. The trolling motor got us a little closer to the ramp, but even that overheated and kicked out on us. I have a 50amp circuit breaker on it...I have to find out why it died since the battery was fine. Half-way to the boat ramp we got the motor to finally kick in. It seemed to be only running on 1 cylinder and it fired up a good cloud of smoke before the second one kicked in. I'm thinking it might be the spark plug or power pack. I don't think a bad impeller would cause that, but I have one so I'm going to put that in along with some new spark plugs this weekend.

The only other issue I had was pulling the boat out onto the trailer. The bolt on the front of my boat that my winch clamps onto was apparently rusted and painted over, so when I pulled my truck out of the water, it broke off and sent a metal missile flying through the parking lot 100ft over my suv! Luckily it didn't hit anyone or any cars. I had a safety chain on that kicked in and saved my boat from flying off the trailer. I was able to get home using some straps and added it to the list of things to repair.

Overall, the outing was a success. She floats, gets up on plane, isn't wobbly, and the motor seems to run okay other than the possible flooding issue. The next trip will definitely be an evening trip, though, as it is way to hot to be out on the water after the sun comes up. Thanks again to everyone that helped out with advice along the way. I'm going to post the motor issue in the outboard section and see what people think about it. Hopefully it was just flooded and the spark plugs/impeller prevent it from happening again.

The boat looks good! It gives me some hope about my 14 foot crestliner build. I may be looking into getting a bimini top for mine, I'm not sure the wife will stay out for very long without one. I may have some questions for you, as you are one of the few people who have a crestliner moded boat. Thanks for the update and good luck with that motor! -Rob

Jdholmes said:
Agreed...I would love to hear your review. They are certainly the best deal I have found...puts the, right at 7-8 for each holder (2 in a pack).

In regards to the Bass Pro rod holders that I got on sale for $9.99: I've been using them for several months now and I would give them 4/5stars. They are definitely not as user-friendly as some of the more expensive brands like Scottie's. However, they have held up pretty well so far. The only big complaints I have with them is that the teeth sometimes don't lock into place very well without having to press down very hard. The other thing is that rotating part that locks your rod in place sometimes comes out of it's guide rail and you have to fumble to get it lined back up. I fear that I might lose a rod someday if one of the rod holders doesn't lock it in place correctly. For 10 bucks, though, I don't have much to complain about!

I worked on the boat again after taking it out a few times. I replaced the front winch bolt with a new one from Academy.com that says it can support 2,000 pounds. I've been meaning to post pictures of it but keep forgetting to since I've been so busy modding my kayak.

Here's a picture of my kayak mods that have been stealing away all of my tinboat mod time!
:)
It's a bass pro Ascend FS12 sit on top:
413600_10151883361190577_1873737347_o.jpg

On a related note: I have been KILLING the fish here in Ohio this year. Mostly with the kayak but some with my Tinboat mod. Here's the biggest hybrid this month. Bad pic of me, great pic of the fish! I was exhausted:
P8211287.jpg

Congrats on your progress with the tin...and NICE fish. You may think it is a better pic of the fish, but you look WAY happier than it does.

HOUSE said:
On a related note: I have been KILLING the fish here in Ohio this year. Mostly with the kayak but some with my Tinboat mod. Here's the biggest hybrid this month. Bad pic of me, great pic of the fish! I was exhausted:
P8211287.jpg
nice fish...I was hopin for some more action shots with the boat!!!

House, new here with a crestliner. I love your mods, can you give me a closeup of your bow light. I am just trying to figure out how to mount it with the bow cap. I am sure I will have other questions.

cvrx4 said:
House, new here with a crestliner. I love your mods, can you give me a closeup of your bow light. I am just trying to figure out how to mount it with the bow cap. I am sure I will have other questions.

The only picture I have on my phone right now is this one below. I'll get a close up for you tomorrow, though. I visit the site quite a bit but forget to check on my own thread! Sorry :) Feel free to post any other questions and I'll help you out the best I can.
-House

Front_Cut_1.jpg