How many batteries?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacobxrt

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a question about how many batteries I should run in my tin boat. Here is a little info about the boat: it's a 15 foot landau with a 40 hp evinrude, 1992 electric start. Here is what I am going to run: 500 gph bilge pump, nav lights halogen bulbs, courtesy led lights, spotlight (halogen), trolling motor, radio with 4 speakers with a 15 amp draw amplifier for the subwoofer,and the starter for the motor. With all of this how many batteries should I run, and if more than 1 battery what should each battery be connected to. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
-Jacob

What about a fishfinder? Fishfinder would make 8 things so I would run 8 batteries, one for each unit.
15 amp amplifier and stereo, Oh my gosh, hopefully not near my boat.
Just joking of course. :lol:

Run 2 batteries, one deep cycle for the trolling motor and one starter battery for the motor and everything else, get yourself a charger too, gonna need that deep cycle battery charged. I assume the motor has a charging circuit in it.
Don't forget some circuit breakers, switches and fuses too.
Tim

i would run 1 deep cycle for the TM, 1 deep cycle for the accessories and 1 starting battery for the evinrude. but you could probally get away with one big battery(starting) for the evinrude and the other stuff minus the TM if your motor is charging when its running.....

I would say it depends on a few variables as to how many you should run. For instance, if your outboard is electric start only, I wouldn't want to take the risk of running down the starter battery by having all the other devices attached to that battery. How much of your "time on the water" do you spend fishing vs running the motor? That will determine whether the motors charging circuit has enough time to replenish any of the batteries capacity. How much time do you intend to be running that spotlight while you're out, and whats the total amp draw of that radio and amp during a day/night of fishing? IMO those are the sort of things you need to consider when deciding on how many and what size batteries to use.

Thanks guys for all of the info. Really helpful! Now that i am thinking about it i am thinking no amplifier or sub...too much attention. I was thinking radio and trolling motor on 1 deep cycle? Then have the other battery for my accessories and starting the motor? Or should I just keep the radio on the starting battery, and have a deep cycle for the TM?

Thanks again
-Jacob

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=319861#p319861 said:
earl60446 » Yesterday, 14:32[/url]"]What about a fishfinder? Fishfinder would make 8 things so I would run 8 batteries, one for each unit.

I forgot about the fish finder :lol:

If you put the radio on the deep cycle, everytime you hit the TM switch you're going to get noise thru the speakers. The only thing that should be connected to the deep cycle is the trolling motor battery. Make sure your batteries are fully charged before each outing and you shouldn't have a problem.

2sac said:
If you put the radio on the deep cycle, everytime you hit the TM switch you're going to get noise thru the speakers.

I forgot about that. Thanks I am going to put everything on the starting battery, and the TM on the deep cycle.
Thanks again!
-Jacob

Latest posts