How many Wisconsin/N. Illinois guys - 2011 UPDATE! (Post 47)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wasilvers said:
I tried to explain it to the guy, but he said absolutly not allowed - not even for 5 boats like a friendly get together. Said we were a group and that wasn't allowed - oh well, we are signing up for a better place anyway... more to come when I hear a solid confirm, just know that is supposed to be VERY good fishing, available camping if you want it, and they are happy to have us!

Save the date - August 21st!!

:D
So the DNR is saying 5 to 10 guys that know each other can't show up with their boats and fish just b/c they know each other. Thats not right.

That's what they said - it doesn't matter though. We have a good place to meet. I'll try to post about it on Saturday - just haven't heard the final YES yet, just a tentative one. It will be great fun - even for families if they want to come. :D

I though I'd hear back by now.... I'm debating just posting it so everyone can make their travel plans - if they need to.

The first WI/IL Tinboats.net group tournament is (tentatively) scheduled for August 21, 2010 at Evergreen Lake just north of Bloomington Illinois. Should be good fishing with a great group! There is plenty of camping available for anyone who wants to get there early or stay later. I’ll be arriving Friday morning with the family and staying till Sunday. The park details can be found here – just use the links on the left side of the page – looks like great swimming, hiking, camping, fishing, etc.. (https://www.mcleancountyil.gov/Parks/)

Format – This tournament/get together will have something for everyone. Fishing starts at 6:30am and runs till 3:30pm. Entry fee is only $20 per person - payouts are 100%! Big Bass bonus is $5, but only if you want to participate. There are 2 divisions – Bass and Pan fish. Entry to the tournament automatically enters you in both categories.
  • Bass – The bass portion is a paper tournament (you measure, record, and release) – top 3 bass will count towards your day’s total, but you can continue fishing till the tournament ends. To win ‘BIG BASS’, your biggest catch must be brought to the weigh in to be weighed, recorded, and released by a tournament official (me). To win Big Bass, you must be entered in the bonus. I expected a lot of lunkers for the pictures!

• Pan fish – The pan fish portion of the tournament will be decided by the total weight of 3 (yes only three) pan fish. They must be brought to the weigh in alive and healthy where they will be weighed, recorded, and released by a tournament official. We might have a close race with just 3 to weigh! Pan fish will only count if it is a crappie, bluegill, sunfish, or pumpkinseed.

Camping/Hotels – Camping reservations (just $18 for a spot with electric) just opened up this week and can be made by phone at (309) 726-2022 ext.221. I know not everyone enjoys camping out so here is a list of hotels available in this area – https://www.bloomingtonnormalcvb.org/accommodations.cfm

Maps
  • A rough lake map can be found here - https://www.mcleancountyil.gov/Parks/pdf/lakemap.pdf
  • A google map of the area is here - doesn’t this just look like it holds a lot of fish - https://maps.google.com/maps?%20hnear=Bloomington,+McLean,+Illinois&ll=40.636492,-89.034405&spn=0.032111,0.084543&t=h&z=14

Other Information -
  • To bring live fish to the weigh-in, you must have a functioning live well per the lake administrators.
  • There is a 10 horsepower limit on the lake. Bigger motors can only be used for loading or unloading. The lake has plenty of access to great fishing by electric only – which I’ll be doing.
  • There is a lake use fee of $16 a day (or $45 annual). Just think of it as a launch fee and smile!
  • If you’d like to come but don’t want to tow your boat, let me know and maybe we can hook you up with another tinboater for the day.

Contact Info - Contact me via private message to confirm entry- I’ll send you my cell phone if you have any questions. You can register for the tournament up to the morning of, but they would like a total count of boats the week before tournament starts. Also feel free to post here if you want to let others know you’re coming.

To ensure we are not exclusive, we are opening this up to all tinboaters who want to make the trip. As always, this is subject to change at any time, for any reason. Hope to see you there!

Will

I'm there!

And, please let me know how I can help. I live a little over an hour away from Evergreen.

Great spot, too. Only about 20 min to Bloomington, so there are good shopping and eating places not far away for the non-fisherman.

I'll be by myself with my boat, so I'll have an open seat if needed.

Matt

Thanks! I already used you on the registration as a backup release boat, but I should be able to handle it with mine. Together, we should be able to put together a heck of a good day! You'll have to stick around that day and have dinner with us - if you like hamburgers / brats.

:D

Here is this weeks's Evergreen lake fishing report... I'm sure it will change by Aug. hahahaha But in case anyone was interested:

As copied from Larry's Fishing Hole, www.larrysfishinghole.com

EVERGREEN LAKE - North of Bloomington to Exit #8 on I-39, and West just over 1-mile and turn left (south) at sign.
This Lake has BOATING FEES and Evergreen Lake remains a 10 hp (or less) lake. You may use a larger motor ONLY to load and unload from your trailer. Larger motors MUST be propped out of the water once you are away from the courtesy docks.
- - Lake is over pool and slightly stained with temp in low - mid 40s
- Bass little SLOW but improving
- Crappie FAIR-SLOW on minnows in 15-20 foot
- Saugeye were FAIR-SLOW drifting minnows off flat or points
-- No word on Muskie yet
** - They have our Larry's Fishing Hole 2010 Fishing Calendars with coupons and more at the lake office now...
** STARTING APRIL 1, 2010 THERE WILL NO LONGER BE A SIZE LIMIT ON THE CRAPPIE AT EVERGREEN LAKE . THE FIFTEEN (15) CRAPPIE PER DAY CREEL LIMIT WILL REMAIN IN PLACE . SO, UNTIL APRIL 1ST THE 9” MINIMUM SIZE LIMIT/15 FISH PER DAY REMAINS IN PLACE .
- - The bait shop near main boat launch opens April 10th

monarch1652 said:
that larry's fishing hole gets updated frequently. good lil site
I keep reading it, and I don't even fishin in IL - but I figure what happens there will happen here in about 2 weeks. :)

Sounds like a plan, the next one will be in WI - so no one feels left out.

I looked at some of your pictures, looks like you fished Keesus too. That lake is about 10-15 minutes from me. I went there 7-8 times this year, till I bought the pass to Nagawicka, Pewaukee, and Nemabin. Maybe Nagawicka will let us hold a get together there, at least they have lots of parking!

If you have a suggestion for next year's lake, let me know. It works better if we give more notice to the DNR here. They have a fair amount of info to fill out.

Will

wasilvers said:
Sounds like a plan, the next one will be in WI - so no one feels left out.

I looked at some of your pictures, looks like you fished Keesus too. That lake is about 10-15 minutes from me. I went there 7-8 times this year, till I bought the pass to Nagawicka, Pewaukee, and Nemabin. Maybe Nagawicka will let us hold a get together there, at least they have lots of parking!

If you have a suggestion for next year's lake, let me know. It works better if we give more notice to the DNR here. They have a fair amount of info to fill out.

Will

The lakes metioned above for futur tournament are to busy. They have crazy water skiers that will purposly force you off the lake. Just a thought though. But I do fish keesus here and there. Pretty fun lake. Average bass there are mid 2lbners with ocasinal nonsters in there.

There's a tournament at long lake on july 31st. You should look into it. I'm probably going to attend it. Test my luck and I know I'm going to be 1 of 2 only jon boats attending.

I'm near Madison, WI and might be interested in some sort of get together this next season after I mod my boat. Is anybody in my area? Is this thread still live? What were the results of that tourny you guys seemed to be planning this past season?

During the Summers...I'm in far Northern Ill. (Fox Lake) and only a few minutes from the Wisc. line. I keep a 16 ft Carolina Skiff (40 hp Yammie) on Silver Lake in Kenosha County.

If this group does another tournament...and it stays with the 10 or 15 hp limit, that lets me out. However, if the group does do another tournament, and somebody wanted a "back-seat" fisherman along...then I would seriously consider attending.

My "tin boat" is a 16 Lowe 160W. I will use it here in Houston, TX 8 months out of the year. It also has a 40 hp on it.

I wonder how the first tournament turned out??? regards, Rich

p.s. If you are considering the Illinois Chain of Lakes....watch out for very high usage fees and a ton of weekend traffic on the entire chain. I gave up and moved my boat across the line to Wisconsin to catch some fish. I live only minutes from the chain...so..that ought to tell you somethhing. RG

richg99 said:
I wonder how the first tournament turned out??? regards, Rich

There is a link here https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13084 that shows the results on the last page, as well as some great photos and write ups.

I am hoping to get a chance at fishing one of the WI lakes this time! Looking forward to the next one!

Matt

I plan on fishing the Madison chain of lakes a lot this next season, but that's a quite a bit farther from the border.

Well, if you don't mind...keep in touch. I arrive in IL about June 1 this year (2011). Maybe we can find a mid-point and have a mini rally.

Have you fished Oconomowoc; Okauchee; or Pewaukee for muskies yet?
I intend to hit them a number of times this coming year.

Thanks, Rich