How many Wisconsin/N. Illinois guys - 2011 UPDATE! (Post 47)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote....
"During the Summers...I'm in far Northern Ill. (Fox Lake) and only a few minutes from the Wisc. line. I keep a 16 ft Carolina Skiff (40 hp Yammie) on Silver Lake in Kenosha County."...

I actually live on Silver Lake in Kenosha county....There a a number of small lakes in the area that would be excellent for the get together...let me know what is needed / wanted in a lake for consideration and I can make a few recomendations.... either way I would positively attend a get together in the S.E. Wisconsin area (no matter where it is located)....

I also have a excellent river in my "backyard" with plenty of fish... Fox River that actually leads into the Fox Chain of Lakes already discussed....

I have never tournement fished (I fish to relax and enjoy being on the water), but I would maybe consider it for this event... or... I would be happy to help out in a non fishing position just to get to meet some fellow tinboaters....

Outdoorsman

Outdoorsman....Well, since you live on Silver..then you probably have seen my white 16 ft. center console Carolina Skiff drifting by two or three weekday mornings a week, all summer long. I keep it in the water at Silver Lake marina.

Great lake, and I especially love the idea of no wake until 10 a.m. and no wake after 7 p.m.. Gives time for the fisherman, and the residents, to enjoy the peace and quiet. Yet, the rule leaves time for the skiers and jet boats to have their fun, too. I wish every other lake would do that.

I've only fished two tournaments in my life. Neither one was for any reason other than to be with a buddy who did like tournaments. Not my style, but I'd be happy to fish one with this group.

regards, Rich

p.s. wave from your dock if you see me next summer! ha Ha Rich

richg99 ....

I know your boat...I was thinking of it when you mentioned it in your origianal post...white fiberglass center counsol , kept in the water a little east of the Marina Bar...I store my boats for the winter at George's (Silver Lake) Marina. I have seen your boat there as well. I am real close to where you keep your boat. I am located in the trailer park just across the bay from the Marina Bar (West side of the Bay). I can actually hear the music when they have live bands playing in their pavillion on weekends. I have one of the lakefront lots with my own pier so we will without a doubt meet up this summer on the water.... =D> ....I guess maybe it is a small world.....

PS: I really like center counsol boats....and I REALLY like yours...would be my boat of choice if I were looking to add to the fleet....

Outdoorsman.

Sounds like we have some more guys interested again this year. If you have any suggestions of lakes that have decent size, camping avaliable on the lake, and room to park/launch - I'd be happy to research and contact the campgrounds. There are a few by me, but they get SWAMPED on the weekends. I'm also putting the office camping gal on the task of locating something that might fit.

As to Okauche, Oconomowoc, and Pewaukee, I have not fished them for muskies, but might this year. I plan on visiting Pewaukee and Nagawicka a lot this year since I live near them both (<15 miles)

Hope I get a BIG muskie net for Christmas!

Outdoorsman.....glad you noticed my boat. I often fish the bay that is between your park and the marina dock. In fact, on my last trip out in mid September...a good 36-40 inch muskie took a slow swipe at a back-lashed buzz bait. Needless to say, I missed him/her.

As far as the Carolina Skiff goes...I love the boat. A number of years ago, I started and ran the Carolina Skiff Owners group... when it was on MSGroups (now defunct).

In two years, I will probably be selling the CS up in Wisc. My sister-in-law will be retiring and moving to Tenn then. She is 90% of the reason that we stay where we do during the Summers. Perhaps you'll still have an interest at that time. The Lowe here in Houston will be plenty of boat for me at one time, I expect.

I am hoping that a love my 160W Lowe as much as I do the CS. I haven't had her on the water down here in TX since I bought her a week or so ago. She's been in at the mechanic and now at the trailer guys.... getting made perfect. I like things that work ALL OF THE TIME.

Yes... I keep my CS at George's when she is not out fishing with me. Keep in touch. Rich

2011 TRIP INFO!

Looking at June 18th (because it's the day after my birthday and I can swing that with the wife without any complaints 8)

At lake Waukesa in Wisconsin (just south of Madison) This is a fairly centralized location. Easy for the IL guys to come up, and easy for the WI guys to get to as well.

They have the group campsite available for only $55 (up to 10 people, $5 a head after that, no electricity though) and plenty of electric campsites avialable for $25 a night. There is no lakeshore camping, but I couldn't find any 'right size' lakes with camping anyway (that aren't in mid/northern WI). And the campground is HAPPY to have us. There is a $8 a day ramp parking fee, but you could shuttle your car to the campsite if you wanted.

Does this date work for most of you? If not let's get a consensus in then next few days - campsites in WI fill up FAST!

I'll start a new thread as soon as the plans are finalized.

Here's the lake - looks like good opportunities for different styles of fishing, topwater/frogs in the south, shallow docks on the west, deep docks on the east, river/canal fishing to the north.
https://www.danewaters.com/pdf/waubesa_acrobat.pdf

oops, I just realized that's fathers day weekend - we'll be done fishing on Saturday afternoon about 3:30/4:00 - and anyone can stay for a fish fry afterwards. Does that affect anyone?

Well, My father and grandfather are still around, so I would really prefer to be around town in order to keep up with tradition. I'd rather be able to make a weekend out of it, instead of feeling like I needed to drive home Saturday night. But, if nobody else feels as though it would hurt their plans, I'm sure I can work it out.

Lake Waubesa?? That's so close to me that I don't think I can get away without going. Seriously, if it wasn't for the tons and tons of snow falling right now I could probably be there in five minutes...and that's including the time it takes to put on pants. :LOL2:

This will probably give me a deadline for finishing my boat too.

Wait... I may just have to add some sort of removable/portable live-well to my spring mod plans. Hmmmmmmmm

BYOB/Fish Itchy - pending availability, how does June 25th look for you guys. We probably don't want to go the week before fathers day because they have a big tourney scheduled on the lake, and there's a triatholon (with swimming) at one of the other lakes.

Are you guys interested in the group camping? It would be just $5 a night per person to camp there. I plan on bringing the family so that's halfway to the number anyway.

Will

PS - We'll have to find out where the release point is for the other tourney - and start our fishing there :D

SAVE THE DATE!!!!

JUNE 25, 2011 - THE OFFICIAL WI/IL ANNUAL FISHING TOURNEY AT LAKE WAUBESA, WI (TIME TBD - EST 6am to 3 pm)
FISH FRY TO FOLLOW AFTERWARDS - (IF YOU CAN CATCH ENOUGH :wink: )

I have reserved site #16. Available for that weekend are #'s 14,15,18,28,29 - all in close proximity to each other (good for keeping an eye on gear) and are electric sites with campfires allowed (some tent sites don't allow campfires).

Register there early before it fills up

We'll have an official post in the watering hole, but till then here are some links!

Facilities:
https://www.reservedane.com/images/pictures/80.jpg
https://www.reservedane.com/images/pictures/83.jpg

Lake:
https://www.danewaters.com/pdf/waubesa_acrobat.pdf

Reserve a campsite:
https://www.countyofdane.com/lwrd/parks/lake_farm.aspx

If someone will let me ride their back seat ( no tinny up in the North country for me)...I'll join in the fun.

Looks like the lake is only 1:45 hours from my place in Fox Lake, IL. I'll get a motel near Madison if it is an late over-nighter... otherwise...I'll just drive home. So, count me in if I can find a generous tinny boater to provide a ride. Rich

Richg99 - if no one else volunteers before the tourney, you can ride with me. I was just going to take one of my kids. But taking another person gives them less to fight about :)

richg99 said:
wasilvers Thx. Lots of time to figure that out. Might be somebody close by I could ride up with too. I'll keep watching this post. Rich

Update - tourney info posted in the watering hole - https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17802