How should I size up for a outboard motor?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TIN HEAD

Reaction score
I have a semi v 14' alumn. boat. The tag says to not exceed 30HP. Will a 10HP do me good? I am thinking a 10HP will be easier on the wallet and will also be easier on the back when I have to load and unload the motor by myself. But will it push the boat fast enough? I dont know I have never had a boat. Also I see while looking at motors short shaft and long shaft how should I measure up to know what I need? Thanks

Fast enough depends on what you want to do. If you are just puttering around small lakes and ponds, then you will be fine. Lots of lakes in PA have 10 hp max restrictions & you will see 14' & 16' semi-v's running 10 hps all the time. You wont go anywhere fast but you will get there faster than a trolling motor. Depending on the load, it may even get you up on plane & scoot right along.
Now if you are fishing big lakes & swift rivers, then the 10 may not be enough. If that is the case, then a 25 is more like it.
So, decide where you will be boating & then decide which level of hp you will need. Then see if you can beg, borrow or steal (well not steal) a similar enginer to do a test drive.
One thing to remember, is that if you get in a tight spot, you will (almost) never say "wish I had less HP" but you can dang sure get into situatoins where you wished you had mx hp hanging on the stern.

I agree with the guys above.Check the lakes you will be on for horsepower restrictions and bans on 2 strokes.2 strokes have been ban on some lakes.Shaft length can be confusing with jon boats.Here's my opinion on the subject.If your transom,measured from the top to the bottom of the boat,in the center is 16 inches or longer get a long shaft motor.The plate above the prop should be 1 to 1.5 inches below the bottom of the transom.You can build up the transom with wood,if you need to.10HP with push a 14' with no problems.Keep the mods to minimum and keep them light,you should be ok.If you will be running a few miles or more to fish,or in heavy currents,you should seriously consider an 18HP to 25HP.There are times when to little horsepower can be dangerous,but that usually only pertains to rivers and areas with strong/fast currents.