How to tell if it's two bank or one bank? 12 or 24V?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ITGuy

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just got a 1979 15 ft Fisher Marine and it has two batteries in it. I have not looked closely at the wiring yet. But, I was wondering How to tell if it is a one bank or two bank. Or if it was a 12 or 24 Volt set up? I did search and couldn't find my exact answer.

I do have two batteries. One is for starting the motor and one is for the trolling motor, I think. Again, I have not looked closely at the wiring yet. Should I be looking to see if the batteries are wired together to tell this or what. I picked up a cheap battery charger for now to charge each battery separately, until I step up to an on-board charger.

I have not done much with wiring before.

Thanks, All

If the batteries are wired to source a 24V load, then they will be wired in series. The "+" terminal of one of the batteries is connected to the "-" terminal of the other battery. The voltage measured between the two terminals that are NOT connected directly together will be the sum of the individual batteries, around 24 VDC.

Sounds like you got a nice boat!

Chuck

Thanks. I looked at it closer today. The batteries are not wired to each other. One is wired to the outboard for starting and a bilge pump. The other is wired to the trolling motor, a bilge pump.

So it is a 12V system Two Bank system, I am figuring.